Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• We just never look right without Matt Bloomfield.

• Sorry but Ainsworth should take a lot of the blame for that shit show with his starting XI,i used to play with better players thasn Pattison on The Rye on a Sunday morning many years asgo.

• I hope his full post-match interview is angrier, because this is a disappointing reaction:

• He’s never going to call out his players in public, and that’s fine. He knows we were poor.

• Sadly tonight the display looked very much like what many people expected to witness much more than we have this season.
    We didn't look to have a cutting edge up front, were overrun in midfield all night, and the defence looked like they hadn't met before.
    I'll have a large whiskey before bed and with any luck in the morning I'll have forgotten most of what happened tonight.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I hope his full post-match interview is angrier, because this is a disappointing reaction:

Agreed. It isn't just "one defeat" I'm afraid, we've been playing poorly for weeks. No one expects us to finish in the top 2, or even top 6, but I'd expect us to look even remotely threatening on the ball, and able to string 3 passes together without an aimless hoof into the air. That was extremely poor.

• We got what we deserved need to start picking some points up away from home.

• @floyd said:
    He’s never going to call out his players in public, and that’s fine. He knows we were poor.

Of course not, but you can call the performance what it was without hanging players out to dry.

• The contrast between the way we used, or rather didn’t use, the extra man and the way Peterborough did use it was quite painful

• It was also fecking cold

• Pitiful performance

• Too many shots conceded on Saturday and today, you can't keep doing that or you lose the lottery in the end.
    Only shot on target when they had everyone in the area at 95'
    "Outstanding" shithousing from Fleetwood.
    Terrible ref
    Long way home ☹️

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've said it already, but we badly need Grimmer back as well to shore up the defence.

• That was end of Waddock reign level of bad.

2nd to everything all night, not like us at all.

As for picking Allsopp ahead of Stockdale, I'm afraid that is just an appalling selection from Gaz

Let's hope they move on quickly and put things right on Saturday

• Several worrying issues

• have we ever had a steady defensive showing when Charles drops out?
    • how many Allsop gaffes can we continue to suffer?
    • our midfield & attack tonight have a combined total of about 4 goals all season. An over reliance on jacobson set pieces now being exposed.
    • one dimensional hoofball all too often

Let's not kid ourselves, we over achieved spectacularly until Christmas, but it has been the opposite ever since. The confidence, belief and fight has badly dwindled and we now struggle to play any cohesive football on a cabbage patch of a pitch at home and away from home we cannot buy a goal or a clean sheet. The wheels have come off and we won't make playoffs unless something changes drastically.

• Wow some really.big names returning to the gasroom tonight. ? Pretty even nothing game until the sending off I thought. Then they seemed to have more players than us? Comical goal.but to.be fair they could have been two up before Evans got binned...and those two would have been gifted to them! Stewart seemed to be on his own tonight and then launching balls up to bayo when he had an eight foot centreback marshalling him was never going to work. Parker, McCarthy and Pattison all worked hard but the ref was truly appalling for both sides. Oh and obviously we were gutless all the players are crap, we are at our proper level.today all the other teams are better than us and Ainsworth has no idea what he is doing. We'll be playing on the Rye in front of one man and his dog this time next year. Mark my words.

• Can’t argue with the outcome. Fleetwood were by far the better team. Front two moved well and they had the ability to shift the ball around better than us in midfield and boss the game. Had they been more clinical it could easily have been 3 or 4. The piss poor display of play acting was disappointing, compounded by the fact the referee lapped it up all night.

Gape has far too much work to do in that midfield without Blooms, Thomo or Ofoborh in the mix alongside him. Pattison and Freeman don’t do enough to wrestle control of midfield, or provide a threat on the break. Both need to be playing further forward to have a useful impact. Likewise, although Samuel and Parker were both tidy and did their jobs ok, they lack the cutting edge of either enough strength, skill or pace to beat a defender or create a chance for themselves.

Macca going down the right looked the only really attacking threat again (until the last few minutes throwing it down the keeper’s throat with Bayo under it). It created our first goal Saturday but often involves committing 4-5 players to the build up, which can leave us exposed.

Having said all that, if Bayo sticks that header in the corner at 0-0 it could have been very different I suppose. Next two games must be six points in my view if we want to finish in the playoffs. Quite disappointing as I’d hoped we’d get a win tonight to propel us forward for the rest of the season.

• Fleetwood deserved to win tonight but I didnt particularly rate them. We were shocking. We did not win the second ball once. One shot on target. We looked all at sea today. Wish I had stayed home it was bloody freezing!!

• edited February 2020

I think all anyone asks is that we play as well as we can - which isn't promotion quality but is better than the rubbish we saw out there tonight. I've not been confident of a play-off finish for a couple of months and that's fine, but the manner of that defeat and a few others recently has been unacceptable. I do feel we'll find a second wind - injuries permitting - but it might come too late.

As for our defence, it is a shell without Charles. Bringing in another CB of his calibre has to be a priority in the summer.

• If only that Parker absolute screamer had snuck in. Both for his confidence and the team.

I missed the first five mins but heard it was a bit dodgy.
    We all know when Charles is out the fill in is a big step down.
    Pattison starting was a big surprise. Gets around and i will him to do well, but he's not ready for this level. Can he develop into a league one player? No idea. Gaz will know and it'll be an interesting decision in the summer.

Otherwise, Fleetwood were well on top and even that red card for such a lovely character in Evans wasn't enough to change it. Barton upto his usual nonsense as well.

Imagine having two those representing your club!!

A decent last five mins all out, but we just looked so limited tonight.

You feel we need our best eleven out there as the quality quickly dips with a couple out.

Positives? At least Fred was back in action.

But with 5 homes and 8 aways something is going to have to turn for us sharpish or we'll be debating if 8th or 9th was a good result having been top for months.

• Oh yeah..that goal will be a horrible watch back won't it.
    Just what the heck?
    Then not long after Stewart and Jombati with a contender for worst mixup of the season both leaving a dangerous ball. Appallling.

I've said it already, but we badly need Grimmer back as well to shore up the defence.

The comparison on your preview was interesting. Would you play Grimmer at centre half and Macca at RB when Charles is unavailable? Or shift Macca into right midfield and Grimmer at RB?

As for our defence, it is a shell without Charles. Bringing in another CB of his calibre has to be a priority in the summer.

It should have been a priority in January.

• edited February 2020

@Glenactico said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I've said it already, but we badly need Grimmer back as well to shore up the defence.

The comparison on your preview was interesting. Would you play Grimmer at centre half and Macca at RB when Charles is unavailable? Or shift Macca into right midfield and Grimmer at RB?

McCarthy at CB and Grimmer at RB. We pose so little threat going forward that we need to compensate with as solid a back line as possible - as we were doing - and McCarthy is an excellent attacking player but lacking defensively compared to Grimmer (might sound stupid to play JM at CB, but he has done a decent enough job there before - which I can't quite get my head around but hey). At the end of the day, we are going to have to make changes sometimes - not least due to Charles' condition - but Sido and Phillips aren't at the same level as the players who got us to where we were, but i guess that's just the nature of how limited we've been financially.

• Oh yeah..that goal will be a horrible watch back won't it.
    Just what the heck?
    Then not long after Stewart and Jombati with a contender for worst mixup of the season both leaving a dangerous ball. Appallling.> @chairboyscentral said:

@Glenactico said:

@chairboyscentral said:

McCarthy at CB and Grimmer at RB. We pose so little threat going forward that we need to compensate with as solid a back line as possible - as we were doing - and McCarthy is an excellent attacking player but lacking defensively compared to Grimmer. At the end of the day, we are going to have to make changes sometimes - not least due to Charles' condition - but Sido and Phillips aren't at the same level as the players who got us to where we were, but i guess that's just the nature of how limited we've been financially.

So why would you totally take McCarthy's attacking out at centre back?

He's better than the other options at centre back of course. Just odd for you to say about his strength. And then put him somewhere he can't show it.

• Hmmm, I tend to agree that Macca could play more or less anywhere but I think we’d miss him on the right. To my mind it it is the only part of the field we look like creating a chance from at the moment. Although I do take your point about sacrificing what little creativity we have in exchange for clean sheets.

• Very, very poor performance. Slightly odd team line up. One shot on target is not going to win too many games . I have the feeling that the remaining games are going to be a painful watch. Not sure we have got enough good players to chance the momentum. But let’s be honest we would have taken mid table. However I feel we have wasted a massive opportunity.

• @Malone said:
    Oh yeah..that goal will be a horrible watch back won't it.
    Just what the heck?
    Then not long after Stewart and Jombati with a contender for worst mixup of the season both leaving a dangerous ball. Appallling.> @chairboyscentral said:

@Glenactico said:

@chairboyscentral said:

McCarthy at CB and Grimmer at RB. We pose so little threat going forward that we need to compensate with as solid a back line as possible - as we were doing - and McCarthy is an excellent attacking player but lacking defensively compared to Grimmer. At the end of the day, we are going to have to make changes sometimes - not least due to Charles' condition - but Sido and Phillips aren't at the same level as the players who got us to where we were, but i guess that's just the nature of how limited we've been financially.

So why would you totally take McCarthy's attacking out at centre back?

He's better than the other options at centre back of course. Just odd for you to say about his strength. And then put him somewhere he can't show it.

I think that as a team, we gain more from him at CB than we lose from him at RB. Maybe if Fred gets back up to speed quickly, we won't have to fall back so heavily on our defence.

• Anothee moan - I like Nick Freeman a lot but ffs I wish he would stop dragging EVERY shot wide of the near post!