Skip to content

The Bootlegger reopening in spring

And to be known as it's original name The Flint Cottage. The grade II listed building will be going under refurbishment shortly.
Hopefully it will treat football fans with a bit more respect than the owners who switched the name to the bootlegger originally.

Comments

• Aren't the new owners part of a small chain of pubs? Should be ok.

• I just hope when it reopens it's half as good a pub as the Bootlegger was

• @eric_plant said:
    I just hope when it reopens it's half as good a pub as the Bootlegger was

...at the start not at the end

• I'm not sure what evidence there is for a spring re-opening - the planning application hasn't been approved yet. Indeed although I'm no expert it looks from the document summary on the council website that proposals submitted on 24 Jan were amended a week later. And if anybody has explicit detail on ownership I'd be interested. My understanding was that the ownership was in some way (and pub groups have a myriad of subsidiaries) linked to Charles Wells. I don't think we'll get the sort of pub that the bootlegger was at its prime - but any new pub is a good thing.

• “Pub groups have myriad subsidiaries” please. Myriad means “countless or a great number”. To be fair, you are by no means alone in using “myriad” as you have @Baldric but the poetry (and meaning) of the original gets lost.

As I will now!

• @micra In addition to its use as an adjective, as in your example, the word myriad is also a noun. @Baldric has used myriad correctly as a noun.

• I had a myriad of rebellion iPa on Saturday.....

• “Ask” is also now used as a noun. Equally clumsy and ugly.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed: can’t say I noticed!

• At least I think i did @micra memory is a little hazy.... (Slightly hungover emoji face)

• @micra said:
    “Ask” is also now used as a noun. Equally clumsy and ugly.

I cannot stand the use of "ask" as a noun, and it is a bloody big ask to ask me to get used to it. The same with "tasked" as a verb - aargghhh! I know... I'm old and sad.

• I am substantially older (though not necessarily wiser or sadder) than you @Cyclops but nice to know I’m not alone.
    That myriad corruption is just one of myriad examples that irritate me and I know better, after five years on Gasroom 2, than to “get started”.

I THINK I never answer a question with “So...”

• @micra said:
    I THINK I never answer a question with “So...”

I hate that as well. Even worse if pronounced "sooo..." It makes me so ANGRY.

• @micra said:
    “Pub groups have myriad subsidiaries” please. Myriad means “countless or a great number”. To be fair, you are by no means alone in using “myriad” as you have @Baldric but the poetry (and meaning) of the original gets lost.

As I will now!

"a great number" would need "of" before the noun wouldn't it?

Ambiguous at best

• I didn't realise using "myriad" as a noun was ok now. It's definitely a miserable use of language though. Clearly the elegance of the word is in its correct use as an adjective.

• Excellent news @ChasHarps. The Flint Cottage will have always have a special place in my heart as it was where I did my first under age drinking as a 15 year old circa 1978. Drank there regularly until about 1985. Following my departure from High Wycombe I only visited the said hosterly once, around 1997 when I discovered it had changed dramatically.

• It’ll never be as good as when Mick and Nora ran it and you’d stick to the carpet within seconds of walking in.

• The Flint was the first pub I ever saw with a video jukebox. Warrant’s Cherry Pie in endless rotation - different times...

• Oh! That song popped into my head the other day and I realised in the Flint was the only place I'd ever heard it. Brought back some great memories.

• Perhaps they could be booked for opening night?

• Sadly lead singer Jani Lane was taken from us in 2011

• Too old for Cherry Pie, but remember nipping down from RGS for a swifty on Wednesday Games afternoon

• That’s quite a nip @JohnnyAllAlone.

• Thought they were closed in the afternoon in those days.

• Spent many summer evenings in the flint as a young boy growing up..... bad parenting probably? I remember the old abounded factory out the back in mid 90s we would see if we could hit it with stones etc...... any locals remember the American guy that was always in there can't remember his name might of been john?

• @bigred87 said:
    Spent many summer evenings in the flint as a young boy growing up..... bad parenting probably? I remember the old abounded factory out the back in mid 90s we would see if we could hit it with stones etc...... any locals remember the American guy that was always in there can't remember his name might of been john?

Friday nights were brilliant in The Flint watching Harold Juana among many other good band, i remember American Jim it might be the same fella but he's dead now.