Skip to content

What is the worst performance you've ever seen from a Wanderers player?

Comments

• @Dan said:
    Apparently I am unquotable.

Huzzah!

• Same sort of era as "Ted" Rogers... I remember a couple of games at Adams Park when Nicky Mohan, playing as a centre back, decided to just slowly jog back when we lost the ball rather than actually trying to prevent a goal. Still not as bad as Comyn-Platt though.

• What about Essandoh? From memory, eleven appearances for us, ten of which were fairly hopeless.

• @Bluebottle said:
    Mark Rogers never had the pace or ability on the ball to play right back but still Sanchez insisted on playing him there. Shame that people remember that, because he did have some decent games for us at centre back and was overall a nice guy who still takes an interest in the club from the other side of the world.

Have to agree with @Bluebottle about Ted, just because he was played out of position shouldnt be mentioned in this thread, as mentioned before he had many a slendid game at CB.

• Ted was one of my favs, our most capped international ?

• @Bluebottle said:
    Mark Rogers never had the pace or ability on the ball to play right back but still Sanchez insisted on playing him there. Shame that people remember that, because he did have some decent games for us at centre back and was overall a nice guy who still takes an interest in the club from the other side of the world.

Yeah, Rogers was a good centre back, but like most players at our level struggled when played out of position. He should also be remembered for scoring a vital goal away at Grimsby in the 2001 cup run. It gets overlooked now with everything else that happened afterwards, but it was the 1st and to date only time we've ever progressed past the 3rd round.

I think Mark Foran sticks out for me as the worst performer I ever saw in the quarters. That said, I almost wish I was there that now legendary night at Cambridge.

• Every game Kuffour played

• @Rolo said:
    What about Essandoh? From memory, eleven appearances for us, ten of which were fairly hopeless.

Sorry, Roy is untouchable. He could have sat in the centre circle eating his lunch while the game went on around him for those other games as far as I'm concerned. The man will never have to buy his own drink in Wycombe again.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Sorry, Roy is untouchable. He could have sat in the centre circle eating his lunch while the game went on around him for those other games as far as I'm concerned. The man will never have to buy his own drink in Wycombe again.

100% agree, man is a legend

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

I knew it would be controversial when I posted that and you're completely right of course but that doesn't change the fact he was fairly sub-standard except for one moment.

• Let's be honest - part of the joy and magic about Roy the Boy's goal is that in all probability, he was sub-standard.

Lest we ever forget, we got him off teletext the same week we played, with him having previously been plying his trade in the Finnish and Austrian lower leagues.

• Your spot on Mr Rolo, I think it was Wigan we played just before the Leicester tie.
    He never won a header all day, and what few touches he had came off his knee or shin.
    Always be fondly remembered for the Filbert St Header, but was actually one of the worst centre forwards, ive seen in a Wycombe shirt.

• I'll throw one into hat, Neil Davis, played 13 games on loan from Villa and never looked like scoring, even missing an open goal at Rotherham.if memory serves me right.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Your spot on Mr Rolo, I think it was Wigan we played just before the Leicester tie.
    He never won a header all day, and what few touches he had came off his knee or shin.
    Always be fondly remembered for the Filbert St Header, but was actually one of the worst centre forwards, ive seen in a Wycombe shirt.

Wasn't it Port Vale? One fan I saw that day was so enraged by our sub-par performance that day I saw him tear up his Leicester ticket and throw it towards the pitch. If only there was a word, let's say a German one for argument's sake, for the joy I still take in imagining his feelings exactly a week later

• I remember Lewis Cook unable to take a throw in correctly, it was like watching an
    attempt by an 8 year old in the local cubs scout league.

• Luke Oliver (on as a sub in a 1-4 defeat to Yeovil) remains the worst in my eyes. I've never seen a performance with less hap...

• @Rolo said:
    What about Essandoh? From memory, eleven appearances for us, ten of which were fairly hopeless.

Have to agree -Poor Roy was truly hopeless. Just how he managed to score against Leicester is one life's mysteries.

• @FrijidPink said:
    Have to agree -Poor Roy was truly hopeless. Just how he managed to score against Leicester is one life's mysteries.

Right place, right time. Great header.

• Another game at Bloomfield Rd, We threw away a 2 goal lead on a hot August day under Sanchez.
    Bomber Harris had to go off injured, so we had a forward line of Pogo Patterson and Billy Harding. The worst striker partnership i can ever remember. Sadly Patterson died in a car crash a few years later, and Harding retired from football whilst still in his teens/early 20's as he was disillusioned with the game,not long after that day in sunny Blackpool.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Another game at Bloomfield Rd, We threw away a 2 goal lead on a hot August day under Sanchez.
    Bomber Harris had to go off injured, so we had a forward line of Pogo Patterson and Billy Harding. The worst striker partnership i can ever remember. Sadly Patterson died in a car crash a few years later, and Harding retired from football whilst still in his teens/early 20's as he was disillusioned with the game,not long after that day in sunny Blackpool.

Great/terrible day - Krazee Scotts Karaoke's continental opening hours and the Kenny Rogers steward.

I always wondered whether it was the same Billy Harding who ended up at Chipstead around 2010/11 and memorably got sent off in this incident - from around 3.10:

• It could well be him, he was a big lump !! His dad was the ex Enfield,Barnet,Notts County player Paul.

• It's him alright, signed by none other than Kate Price
    http://www.sourcemodels.co.uk/121652/Models/Male-Models/Billy

• Fola Onujibe was awful. Played for about 16 clubs, all short term

• @BillStickers said:

Lest we ever forget, we got him off teletext the same week we played, with him having previously been plying his trade in the Finnish and Austrian lower leagues.

except Sir Roy later admitted that that was bollocks (the teletext story) but he played along with it because the papers loved it...

• @Brockie said:
    Fola Onujibe was awful. Played for about 16 clubs, all short term

"to be fair" he banged a few in for Cambridge. But yes, some serious journeyman credentials there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fola_Onibuje

• @PBo said:
    except Sir Roy later admitted that that was bollocks (the teletext story) but he played along with it because the papers loved it...

I'd never heard that. So we did put up a teletext ad, but he was found via other means?

• "I'd been playing in Scandinavia before linking up with Rushden & Diamonds when my agent at the time told Lawrie that I could do a job for Wycombe," he said in an interview last year. "So I went training and it was decided that I would join the club until the end of the season. At the same time, there was a story on Teletext which said Wycombe had four forwards injured and it seemed people put two and two together and got five. I guess the version that everyone knows makes for a better story."

• Roy tells everyone that he paid for the "big stand" at Wycombe.

The inaccuracy of that story makes me like him even more.

• No - what about the goal against Leicester?

• "No - what about the goal against Leicester?"

That's supposed to refer to the post about Kuffour, by the way. Tried to reply to it, shot me down to a new field at the bottom of the page, isolated from the original post.

Bring back Gasroom 1.0!