Skip to content

Comments

• Thanks as usual, Tom.

If referees are an omen, this one's a bad 'un.

• @HCblue Most refs we have blur into one for me, but a Gillingham fan I was talking to was absolutely fuming at how awful he was in their game at Wimbledon not long ago.

• I've no recollection of his style and rarely, if ever, take objection to a ref but was merely reflecting on the scores from the last games he reffed for the two teams.

• Interesting, well written and detailed analysis as usual.

Tiny point, Tom. You have Kevin Johnson’s last match refereeing Fleetwood as 28/09/09. Should that be 2019 or is he one of the more mature refs and one that Fleetwood have managed to avoid for a decade? Hope he doesn’t live up to the reputation adduced by the Gillingham fan

Ched Evans is one of a very small number of footballers at our level that mrs micra will have heard of. She will probably be as surprised as I was that he is now captain of Fleetwood but her surprise will be based on different factors from mine. My surprise is that a (mainly) lone striker would have that role. I may be wrong but I thought skippers were usually defenders or midfielders. Of course there are exceptions and Tottenham have two - Lloris and Kane (the latter only for England of course).

• @micra Haha, good spot, I'll change that! Interesting point re. lone strikers as captains. Only other one who springs to mind is Harry Kane, and he only takes the armband when Lloris (another rarity, a 'keeper captain) isn't in the side.

• Troy Deeney captain of Watford for about the last five years.

• Good shout @mooneyman. I think their recent modest resurgence coincided with his return to the captaincy.

• It would be nice to beat them!