Skip to content

Comments

• Thanks as always, Tom. Wimbledon-supporting friend of mine said yesterday that, on the basis of their game on Saturday, we could and should not lose to Fleetwood.

My response was that any scout watching us play pretty much any game this season would likely say the same about us. Should be an interesting game. Hope Charles might be able to play two in a row.

• Agree if Darius can drag himself out for Fleetwood and play the way we know he can, with a view to missing Bolton (no disrespect intended) that would be grand! I think Fleetwood will be a tricky prospect.

• With Madden and Evans upfront for Fleetwood Charles' ability could be vital but don't think he'll be risked given the severity of his condition (that feature in the Metro made for very sober reading and just emphasised the courage of the man to keep playing at all).

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    With Madden and Evans upfront for Fleetwood Charles' ability could be vital but don't think he'll be risked given the severity of his condition (that feature in the Metro made for very sober reading and just emphasised the courage of the man to keep playing at all).

They've played 5-4-1 in the last couple of games with Evans starting. Hopefully they continue with that as it's brought them back-to-back wins. Even if it's working for them, I back our ability to bypass it - assuming Bayo is fit enough to play some part at least.

• The way the weather has just turned in wycombe, let's hope it's still on!

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:
    The way the weather has just turned in wycombe, let's hope it's still on!

Snowing in Nottingham I understand. I'm having a day off so it better be.
    Weather sites seem to suggest clear and cold.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    The way the weather has just turned in wycombe, let's hope it's still on!

Snowing in Nottingham I understand. I'm having a day off so it better be.
    Weather sites seem to suggest clear and cold.

Pretty sure it started snowing a bit in wycombe just then. Mixed with lightning and heavy rain!

• The weather seems fine now.

• Will there be a preview @chairboyscentral

• @thedieharder Just got in so finishing up now!

• @HCblue said:
    Thanks as always, Tom. Wimbledon-supporting friend of mine said yesterday that, on the basis of their game on Saturday, we could and should not lose to Fleetwood.

My response was that any scout watching us play pretty much any game this season would likely say the same about us. Should be an interesting game. Hope Charles might be able to play two in a row.

Are you actually suggesting that we’ve played so poorly in most games that any scout watching us would think we’re weak opposition?

• @HCblue said:
    Thanks as always, Tom. Wimbledon-supporting friend of mine said yesterday that, on the basis of their game on Saturday, we could and should not lose to Fleetwood.

That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say, unless you truly think we've totally blagged our way to the top, and haven't played well in any game?

• @Malone said:

@HCblue said:

That's a pretty ridiculous thing to say, unless you truly think we've totally blagged our way to the top, and haven't played well in any game?

I'd suggest there are more than those two ways to interpret what I said.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

Are you actually suggesting that we’ve played so poorly in most games that any scout watching us would think we’re weak opposition?

Simply that no-one watching us would think they were watching an obvious contender for the league title, which I think is true. But, as ever, I enjoy the way you place the most negative possible construction on a statement expressing what you take to be less than complete devotion to the team.

• I await your alternative interpretations with interest.

• There's not understanding how a team are any good from one game.

But not from "any" game surely. We've had many good performances. Not as many recently of course!

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

Simply that no-one watching us would think they were watching an obvious contender for the league title, which I think is true. But, as ever, I enjoy the way you place the most negative possible construction on a statement expressing what you take to be less than complete devotion to the team.

That’s not what you said, though, is it? You didn’t mention anything about us being thought of as contenders for the title in the derogatory comments to your Wimbledon friend.
    How odd that you recently accused me of putting negative comments into a positive post, now you seem to be suggesting the opposite.
    Yes, my devotion to the club is complete and I don’t see that as anything to be ashamed of. It’s called being a supporter.

• edited February 2020

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

That’s not what you said, though, is it? You didn’t mention anything about us being thought of as contenders for the title in the derogatory comments to your Wimbledon friend.
    How odd that you recently accused me of putting negative comments into a positive post, now you seem to be suggesting the opposite.
    Yes, my devotion to the club is complete and I don’t see that as anything to be ashamed of. It’s called being a supporter.

I dare say we'd get along famously were we to meet.

There were no derogatory comments. My friend and I share a realistic idea about the strengths and qualities of our clubs. Unless you were particularly one-eyed, you would not have watched us on any occasion this season, except possibly v. Lincoln, and come away thinking other than that we were a pragmatic, well-organised and spirited side that played to their, relatively limited by the standards of the more exalted and prosperous of our league mates, strengths. Nothing to get excited about or take exception to. Unless one's "devotion to the club" was so extreme that one could not tolerate anything other unconditional praise of all it does without getting prissy about it.

• @Malone said:
    There's not understanding how a team are any good from one game.

But not from "any" game surely. We've had many good performances. Not as many recently of course!

We're not top purely by luck. And no-one would take us for a soft touch. But equally one would not watch us and tremor in hopeless fear of what was to come were one a scout.

• Yes, my devotion to the club is complete and I don’t see that as anything to be ashamed of. It’s called being a supporter.

Closer to a Fan(atic) really.

Of the matches I have been to this season, Southend Ipswich and Sunderland. Of the matches I have watched on ifollow, Peterborough, McDons and Lincoln. How many similarities can you spot in that lineup and how could anyone not take us to be contenders with those results @HCblue

• edited February 2020

@NorsQuarters said:

Closer to a Fan(atic) really.

Of the matches I have been to this season, Southend Ipswich and Sunderland. Of the matches I have watched on ifollow, Peterborough, McDons and Lincoln. How many similarities can you spot in that lineup and how could anyone not take us to be contenders with those results @HCblue

Results and performances are not synonymous, @NorsQuarters. Clearly, by being second in the league, we are contenders.

• I dare say we'd get along famously were we to meet.

There were no derogatory comments. My friend and I share a realistic idea about the strengths and qualities of our clubs. Unless you were particularly one-eyed, you would not have watched us on any occasion this season, except possibly v. Lincoln, and come away thinking other than that we were a pragmatic, well-organised and spirited side that played to their, relatively limited by the standards of the more exalted and prosperous of our league mates, strengths. Nothing to get excited about or take exception to. Unless one's "devotion to the club" was so extreme that one cannot tolerate anything other unconditional praise of all it does without getting prissy about it.

I actually agree with most of what you’ve written here. It’s just that your initial comments came across as a rather begrudging acknowledgement of what we’ve achieved so far this season.

• Well, that's not necessarily the fault of the author of those comments.

• I don't see what @HCblue said is anything other than a pretty fair reflection of what most opposition managers and fans say about us every week.
    Almost no one, who isn't a Wycombe fan, seems to think we are anything other than a one dimensional team with zero plan B and not a hope in hell of being anywhere near playoff, let alone automatic promotion, contenders.
    And yet here we are, 2nd week of February, still 2nd in the league.

Frankly admitting that opposition managers, fans, scout and many pundits don't think we're good enough to be where we are in the league doesn't make me any less of a fan.

• Even among Wycombe fans, I don't think I'm alone in wondering quite how we are where we are. The joys of variance.

• I know it’s a statement of the bleeding obvious but we are where we are because we’ve won more games and more points than all bar one other team in the division.
    I prefer to concentrate on our strengths rather than our weaknesses and people can moan all they like about our style of play, but the majority of our opponents haven’t found a way to beat us.

• It is indeed.

Again, results and performances are different things. It's possible to pass comment on one without referencing the other.

Did anyone else notice that Coventry have lost only three games this season?!

• There is an old adage about winning even when not playing well... Our home form was my focus, also that we have raised our game to match the opposition and score goals. I could also focus on last minute winners or clean sheets.

We are no Barcelona but are organized, hard working and effective against teams at this level as long as we put our chances away, as stats show. As has been intimated: seen once, discounted maybe. Seen often, a scout may get substance followed by just deserts (if they get past their tremors in hopeless fear sauce).

• "Fear sauce" ? @NorsQuarters ? I like that, a good name for a super hot sauce or something.

• Fierce. Of course. Sounds like I’m Sorry I haven’t a Clue.
    Ushering for that show a few years ago, the duty manager referred to it as I’m Sorry I haven’t got a Clue and I knew instantly that she didn’t listen to it.