Skip to content

Comments

• Good job, Tom. I found the heat maps for McCarthy and Grimmer especially interesting.

• @Shev Cheers! Yeah, they're not conclusive as I say - McCarthy hasn't played most of the season - but I do think Grimmer has much more balance to his game and, on latest form, I'd have him straight back in. Do we know how long he's been back in training?

• I haven't got dozens of stats to back me up but I'd say McCarthy is comfortably the better player

• Don't think I'll ever get my head around 'big chances'. Only one of our three goals yesterday?

I also won't ever follow how Grimmer is a better right back than McCarthy. He was directly involved in 2 goals on Saturday and marked their most dangerous player. 'Latest form'?

• There's a reason McCarthy was signed by a championship team , but Grimmer was certainly doing very well for us pre injury.

• Grimmer has been signed by a Championship team in the past to be fair.

• edited February 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Don't think I'll ever get my head around 'big chances'. Only one of our three goals yesterday?

I also won't ever follow how Grimmer is a better right back than McCarthy. He was directly involved in 2 goals on Saturday and marked their most dangerous player. 'Latest form'?

Grimmer is better on the defensive side of the ball imo, in terms of positioning, aggression, and generally getting back there in the first place. McCarthy did alright yesterday and contributed to two goals, yes, but he does get caught upfield too often - as he did a lot at MK, a particularly poor game from him. Given how lacking we are in an creative sense and how little of the ball we see, we need as strong a defensive unit as possible - and Grimmer is a key cog in that.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Don't think I'll ever get my head around 'big chances'. Only one of our three goals yesterday?

Grimmer is better on the defensive side of the ball imo, in terms of positioning, aggression, and generally getting back there in the first place. McCarthy did alright yesterday and contributed to two goals, yes, but he does get caught upfield too often - as he did a lot at MK, a particularly poor game from him. Given how lacking we are in an creative sense and how little of the ball we see, we need as strong a defensive unit as possible - and Grimmer is a key cog in that.

Or we need a full back who can create and score goals to add to the attacking threat? Depends what you are trying to achieve I suppose. Scoring more or conceding fewer? Grimmer, for me anyway, is another who seems to get better the more time he is out. He's a decent player but McCarthy is an upgrade.

• @Malone said:
    There's a reason McCarthy was signed by a championship team , but Grimmer was certainly doing very well for us pre injury.

Who then didn't play him, realised they had better quality in the squad and loaned him out to a lower league team. By the way, I think they were probably wrong.

• I’d say McCarthy is our best player.

• @Chris said:
    I’d say McCarthy is our best player.

I'd say Charles, Gape, Fred and Bayo are more influential players for us. I accept It is a matter of personal opinions though.

• edited February 2020

I find it very hard to pick out an objectively best player, but I think it's between Charles, JJ, Gape, Wheeler and Bayo for me currently. I struggled to keep that down five. Fred when fit takes the crown, though.

• I would agree with those five. I have a feeling player of the season may come down to Charles or JJ, with Wheeler a close third. Bayo has set the bar of expectations so high that he may struggle to win it, despite being as good as advertised.

• I definitely think it will be between Charles and JJ. Darius' story is absolutely inspirational and he's been immense, but JJ has contributed so much in an attacking and defensive sense and is probably having the season of his career.

• What about grimmer at right back, McCarthy right midfield behind wheeler? Grimmer was a good replacement for macca and now macca is a good replacement for grimmer! In GA we trust!

• I have always liked the idea of McCarthy in midfield, but then who would you take out?

• We can’t have Grimmer behind McCarthy and Wheeler! Unless you have Wheeler as one of a front two.

• I think yesterday was the best I’ve seen JJ play this season (goalscoring excepted).

• I'm still miffed that a bigger deal was not made of JJ's amazing hattrick, nationally. Rarer than Haley's Comet, but next to no coverage. Of course, I am not surprised, only miffed!

• I think bayo and Charles are our most infuential players.
    But i think it's between McCarthy and Fred for who better and bigger teams would look at to sign.
    Gape a bit behind as less "glamour" to his game.

• How can the first goal not be defined as a 'big chance'

A free shot with in plenty of space from the centre of the box about 8 yards out? Sure bayo did well to sort his feet out in time and divert in into the corner, but that's one we'd all have expected most professional strikers to score.

• No way @Croider, that was a brilliant strike that few would berate any striker for not scoring. Blooms' was excellent skill and strength that was far from a given. That leaves Darius' effort; I suppose after getting to the ball first any shot on target would have been a goal but brilliant reaction to make it after JJ's powerful shot was well saved.

Would fans have gotten on Alsopp's back with a save of the same calibre? Faultless for our goal too imo

• Having seen Bloomfield's goal back, it was superb all round

• Official Opta definition of a 'big chance' - which you can agree or disagree with - is as follows:

"A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances."

If that defender isn't there then it probably does get classed as one.

• Great screenshot!

• That Opta definition tallies with my own thought after I saw the replay. If Bayo gets a cleaner strike on it - he seemed in real time to rather scuff it toward the corner, but equally could have been purposefully directing it there - and hits it towards the middle of the goal then the defender has a good chance of making the block.
    Hence, by definition it's not a chance that a striker is "odds on" to score as they have to avoid the defenders attempted block.

• edited February 2020

I didn't fully appreciate at first the angle he was at either, such a skilful finish from a player you'd never expect it from if you didn't know him.