Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Not at the game today.... why did Bloomfield go off?

• Great result today. That ones for Al.

• And that's 3 points. Job done.

• Not a great performance, but who cares when we get that result against them?!

• Presume it's too soon for Grimmer to start on Tuesday?.
    Sido in on Tue for Charles has to be the best bet then?

• As for the game, not great fare outside of a quality move for our first goal and a strong 5mins where we put it out of sight.

They didn't offer much outside of their Aaron Lennon lookalike and seemed to get frustrated very quickly.

Hoped Fred might get a little run out but probably not much to gain and he can do that Tuesday instead.

• Clarke-Harris should have had at least a couple. They'll be alright, but their manager - who had to take the best part of a month off after only taking the job in December - is already coming under pressure.

• Great to get the 3 points and keep a 2nd half clean sheet. On another day I think it could have easily been the reverse scoreline, but good to see us taking our chances. That was the difference today.

Charles was a rock at the back, and was impressed with Samuel and Wheeler in the 2nd half. Smyth is a great player to bring on as well and gives us a different kind of outlet.

When Fred is genuinely fit and ready to start games, there’ll be an awful lot of competition up top again.

Need to now back this win up with a good performance on Tuesday.

• Would just love to be able to keep the ball for the same of it. At times, when we need to take the sting out of the game, we look unable to just pass to each other.

• Strong last ten minutes which was good to see. Would have liked to see freeman and smyth having more of a go though...

• Three very clinical finishes today, which was great to see. I wish JJ's shot had gone in though - that would have been goal of the season!

• We've been clinical all season. 39/48 points at home this season, astonishing really - only Liverpool, who've won all of home games, have a better record than that!

• In the dominant spell in the first half they scored a great goal, had a good call for a pen and almost scored another belter. How our three oaps managed to score and win that I have no idea but more of the same please!!!??

• To be honest I thought we were extremely fortunate with that result. Rovers had lots of good chances and were wasteful. Also, Thomson could easily have conceded a pen.

The 442 shape meant their number 6 had acres of space in midfield to slot passes straight into our back four. Second half Samuel seemed to pick him up sometimes but I think it was telling that we changed shape several times to try and get a proper grip on the game. In the end we looked most in control in the final 15 mins when they went 442 and we reverted to 433.

On the plus side, good finishing for the goals and we had a proper threat in attack, which was very welcome after last weekend. I thought Wheeler was excellent and JJ and Charles made several key interventions when we were under pressure. Crucial result and, on the basis that we put our chances away and Rovers missed theirs, I guess we deserved the points.

• Hey lads...it's a jaccuzzi wheey

• The stats on the FOOTMOB app seem a bit surprising.

They have us at 13 total shots, and Rovers at 19 Chances created 9-17
    And Big chances 1-4. (presume that comes out of the chances created and doesn't include goals then!)

I don't remember 32 shots between the two teams!

Unlike a few posters above, aside from that period that they scored, and a few mins after, I never felt too worried about Rovers.

Samuel had a half volley saved, and at 3-1, he was surely brought down in their area, or could at least had a chance of replicating his goal in the last home game.

Oh well, matters not, 3-1, solid win, rebuilds that goal difference that has been utterly battered in recent aways!

Most of the rivals won, including an annoying Cov last min winner. But at least Oxford got smashed, and Ipswich with yet another loss. Their fans must be loving that massive length contract Lambo signed!

• @Malone said:
    The stats on the FOOTMOB app seem a bit surprising.

And Big chances 1-4. (presume that comes out of the chances created and doesn't include goals then!)

It does include goals. I think only Darius' would have counted as a big chance.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

How would the other two not count as big chances?
    When both had clear sights at goal from quite close in!?

• Not our finest performance but a great result and much more controlled in the second half. Samuel, JJ and Wheeler the standouts.

In summary, a Kerridge pie, pint of Roasted Nuts and three points make for a happy drive home.

• Classy act from GA at the end doing a lap of the pitch whilst holding the Downley Dynamos shirt aloft.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

I assume because there were a couple of defenders between Bayo and the goal and Blooms' was from a tight-ish angle under pressure. Opta definition is here: https://www.optasports.com/news/opta-s-event-definitions/ That's where what you're seeing on the app will have come from.

• @Malone I also think that the 19 shots includes blocked shots, which I suppose at the time can look like nothing/could be sailing 30 yards wide

• And get home to see forest beat Leeds...second goal scored by Tyler walker no longer at lincoln it seems. Good weekend.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

I assume because there were a couple of defenders between Bayo and the goal and Blooms' was from a tight-ish angle under pressure. Opta definition is here: https://www.optasports.com/news/opta-s-event-definitions/ That's where what you're seeing on the app will have come from.

I knew if anyone would know, you would!

• I thought that was a decent performance, and never particularly worrying. The build up to Bayo’s goal was lovely and I thought we knocked it about much better than we usually do, even with the beast on.

There’s gonna be some worried horses this evening.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    @Malone I also think that the 19 shots includes blocked shots, which I suppose at the time can look like nothing/could be sailing 30 yards wide

Good point, and those would rack up.And I suppose is the distinction between shots, and shots on target - which the latter of which can sometimes be very low in poor displays.

• Strange game, seen us play better and lose but it’s all about taking your chances. We had the little bit of luck today that’s deserted us in recent weeks and for all Rovers’ possession they didn’t really trouble Rocky too much.

• edited February 2020

I thought Bloomfield had his game of the season today - and out of position as well. Won pretty much every one-one-one, put his body on the line as he always does and showed a bit of goal threat beyond actually scoring - which I think was of the best finishes by any Wycombe player this season, absolute pinpoint precision. Hopefully just a knock that forced him off and he's back on Tuesday night. Did so much that I forgot he only played one half.

I thought Bloomfield had his game of the season today - and out of position as well. Won pretty much every one-one-one, put his body on the line as he always does and showed a bit of goal threat beyond actually scoring - which I think was of the best finishes by any Wycombe player this season, absolute pinpoint precision. Hopefully just a knock that forced him off and he's back on Tuesday night. Did so much that I forgot he only played one half.

Was wondering if he'd done a Bayo and nipped off at ht for his birthday party (anyone else but...)

• More importantly, with all due respect, let's hope Bayo's knock was minor and he's back for Tue.

When he went off, we couldn't hold it at all.