Skip to content

Banning orders

edited February 2020 in Football

The Newcastle fan who got his knob out to celebrate their late winner at oxford has just been given a lifetime ban from all football grounds, while a Bournemouth fan who shouted racist abuse has been given a 3 year ban.

I'm not condoning the Toon fan's behaviour, but surely racism is a bit more serious than waving your willy about for a few seconds.

Comments

• I would suggest indecent exposure is more serious myself. Luckily he was not being racist while waving his willy about or God knows what would have happened.

• Getting your knob out (in a non-threatening way) is worse than racism?! Wow

• I saw the Newcastle thing on a instagram page but surely racism is worse! I do agree with the fact revealing your genetallia is a bad example for others but racism seems to be immune to harsher punishments!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

I'm condoning the Toon fan's behaviour, but surely racism is a bit more serious than waving your willy about for a few seconds.

Strange to be condoning it but I suppose mindless drug hoovering will lead to all kinds of behaviour;)

• @FmG said:
    Getting your knob out (in a non-threatening way) is worse than racism?! Wow

I'm not saying it's a lifetime ban offence, but perhaps you can be educated not to be racist whereas I suspect if you are willing to get your bits out in a big crowd that might not be a one-off.
    'It's only a bit of fun love cheer up!'

• I strongly suspect the Newcastle fan had "previous", as otherwise that's just crazy.

The video is pretty funny

• I see what you're saying. Knob out at the footie could be a gateway crime to a sex offence.

However I think that means that you're saying that committing a very serious crime is not as bad as doing something which might lead to a future very serious crime?

• @NorsQuarters said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

I'm condoning the Toon fan's behaviour, but surely racism is a bit more serious than waving your willy about for a few seconds.

Strange to be condoning it but I suppose mindless drug hoovering will lead to all kinds of behaviour;)

Oops, did a Micra and got my thumbs and brain muddled while typing (no drug hoovering involved). Corrected now.

• A thread beyond description

• I’ve never thought after a win “You know what the icing on this particular cake would be, my genitals”

• Surprised shouting racist stuff isn't more knocking at the prison door these days. Let alone just a few years ban from games.

I've heard that some clubs give three year bans for selling your own ticket on! Not touting, just covering the cost.
    So you'd think racism would be a lifetime ban surely?

The nob waver probably deserves a life ban too. That's seriously deranged deviant behaviour.

• @FmG said:
    I see what you're saying. Knob out at the footie could be a gateway crime to a sex offence.

However I think that means that you're saying that committing a very serious crime is not as bad as doing something which might lead to a future very serious crime

That's right I'm condoning crime. Of course I am. Yep.

• @Malone said:
    Surprised shouting racist stuff isn't more knocking at the prison door these days. Let alone just a few years ban from game

Should be but as others have pointed out sometimes with some clubs you'd have to ban/arrest half a stand! And if the police don't prosecute I would imagine it's hard to hand out lifetime bans. I assume they hope the offender will disappear to support Millwall or something in that time.

• I always wondered how they enforce these bans anyway.
    But im sure i read one such deviant say they have to sign in at a local police station at kick off time.

Every match!

• Wasn't the Bournemouth fan 'only' 17? They probably went easier because of that - although they shouldn't.

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:
    I always wondered how they enforce these bans anyway.
    But im sure i read one such deviant say they have to sign in at a local police station at kick off time.

Every match!

I was thinking it's easy to stop them buying tickets, but couldn't they just get in on someone else's? Maybe they have a 'wall of shame' inside the little turnstile booth...

• To be fair, the Newcastle fan might be a naturist who was so tanked up he thought he was on Brighton's nudist beach.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    I always wondered how they enforce these bans anyway.

Every match!

I was thinking it's easy to stop them buying tickets, but couldn't they just get in on someone else's? Maybe they have a 'wall of shame' inside the little turnstile booth...

You don't need any form of id to buy home tickets usually though.
    So it would depend on a club crossing checking addresses. But easily worked round using a work addy, relative or friend. Or just moving!

• Life time ban is ridiculously harsh..... racism deserves that everytime though!!!

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’ve never thought after a win “You know what the icing on this particular cake would be, my genitals”

I only ever think that while I’m icing a cake.

• What happened is easier to spot, especially if filmed, than shouting, so a much easier target.

• @drcongo said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’ve never thought after a win “You know what the icing on this particular cake would be, my genitals”

When the recipe calls for a sprinkling of nuts to finish...

• @drcongo said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:

That reminds me I’ll have to take a rain cheque on that coffee morning.

• Rain check, Buckingham Blue. Cheque it out.

• edited February 2020

@LordMandeville said:
    Rain check, Buckingham Blue. Cheque it out.

I have and both spellings seem to be acceptable.
    Check yourself before you wreak yourself.

@LordMandeville said:
    Rain check, Buckingham Blue. Cheque it out.

• Is there no end to this awful thread? Oh wait a minute do I espy a bell???
    I'll get me coat.

• Oh dear. Gasroom falls victim to fake news. Where’s that Carrots chap to set the record straight?

• Good that it is not true about the lifetime ban. I could see this being done in a scenario like this:
    Guy says to his mates: "If we score I'm going to run down and pretend to have a wank in celebration."

Is it crass? Yes. Is it obscene? Yes. Can the guy understand that this is not appropriate behaviour at a football match? Yes. Can he go to a psychologist and work on the issues that compelled him to do this? Yes. Is it a satisfactory outcome to dish out a lifetime ban from watching his favorite team? No.

Difficult to put this situation in perspective but I hope the level Gasroom heads would think long and hard about banning any football fan for life (que klaxon).

• I discovered today that there's a name for what he did. Apparently it's called a penicopter. Might not come up in the pub quiz, that one.