Skip to content

Comments

• grimmer back in training which is great news ....is there any news on Fred at all ? he has been out of action for months

• @Wanderers82 said:
    grimmer back in training which is great news ....is there any news on Fred at all ? he has been out of action for months

Do you honestly think you might have missed the big Fred news ?

• edited February 2020

@Wanderers82 said:
    grimmer back in training which is great news ....is there any news on Fred at all ? he has been out of action for months

The Fred situation seems to get less and less promising.

He's been a few weeks away, he's been returning in January, the news depicted as being at latest, and now it's gone so silent, you suspect he's simply out for the season.

• He's been doing workouts before recent games and has back in training for almost a month; I reckon there's a very good chance he'll be back tomorrow.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    He's been doing workouts before recent games and has back in training for almost a month; I reckon there's a very good chance he'll be back tomorrow.

I hope you're right chief. I really do.

It's probably the way life works, that once you've totally given up, he's back immediately!

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    He's been doing workouts before recent games and has back in training for almost a month; I reckon there's a very good chance he'll be back tomorrow.

It's probably the way life works, that once you've totally given up, he's back immediately!

Tbh, as secretive as they are - which I get - I think they'd reveal if someone was out for the season. I think we've actually been pretty lucky in that we haven't had a player out for the season in a while? Excluding those ruled out for just the final month or two.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Tbh, as secretive as they are - which I get - I think they'd reveal if someone was out for the season. I think we've actually been pretty lucky in that we haven't had a player out for the season in a while? Excluding those ruled out for just the final month or two.

I don't know about that. I remember Sido limping around with an obvious massive injury, boot, crutches in the playoff season. He was seen at games for a couple of weeks like that before they finally admitted he was out for the season!

• I always assume players that are not in the squad are not fit and then moan at the ones that are in the team for not being as good. :smile: If we can replicate the speedy on the floor start of the Blackpool game I will be happy.

• It's basic Wycombe knowledge that "the game was crying out for (insert whichever player is currently injured)."

• Having seen how Aarons and Smyth panned out, I fear for the expectations on Fred when/if he comes back. They will be huge.

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:
    Having seen how Aarons and Smyth panned out, I fear for the expectations on Fred when/if he comes back. They will be huge.

He's not the player he was. I hope Smyth starts lighting things up soon.
    (I mean on the pitch of course not lighting things up to get mellow in front of his betting page)

• @Malone said:
    Having seen how Aarons and Smyth panned out, I fear for the expectations on Fred when/if he comes back. They will be huge.

Fred definately gets better every week he's out.

• I was thinking about the Sean Devine injury saga this morning. wasn't his timeline basically a couple of weeks, then Christmas, then who knows. So secrecy around injuries isn't exactly a new thing.

• I didn't fully appreciate until this week just what a massive miss Fred has been. Had a proper look at the numbers here for those interested in that kind of thing (detailed stats thanks to @oilysailor): https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/02/06/long-read-the-numbers-behind-wycombes-winter-blues/ Meant to add a bit actually but haven't had time yet.

• @floyd said:
    I was thinking about the Sean Devine injury saga this morning. wasn't his timeline basically a couple of weeks, then Christmas, then who knows. So secrecy around injuries isn't exactly a new thing.

Isn't it the same for most clubs at our level? I suppose in the Premier League there's a lot more pressure, but it's not like the eyes of the world are trained on us. Yet.

• To be honest i've no idea what other clubs do. Sean's injury just struck me as a particular example of the practice.

• @floyd said:
    I was thinking about the Sean Devine injury saga this morning. wasn't his timeline basically a couple of weeks, then Christmas, then who knows. So secrecy around injuries isn't exactly a new thing.

Looking back, that Devine injury has to be in the all time most disappointing things in Wycombe's league history .
    Up there with the Mickey Bell departure / tribunal absolutely fleecing us, utterly destroying what was quite some optimism before that season.

I didn't fully appreciate until this week just what a massive miss Fred has been. Had a proper look at the numbers here for those interested in that kind of thing (detailed stats thanks to @oilysailor): https://chairboyscentral.com/2020/02/06/long-read-the-numbers-behind-wycombes-winter-blues/ Meant to add a bit actually but haven't had time yet.

It shows what a bizarre season that we're having. We've been top / 2nd for ages, Fred has been out for months, yet he still has a great chance of being top scorer, IF, and that's a massive IF he's back soon!

• @Malone said:

Looking back, that Devine injury has to be in the all time most disappointing things in Wycombe's league history .

Did the actual facts about the injury ever come to light? I can remember some fair dark non-football related rumours doing the rounds.

• That’s half an hour I’ll never get back. Makes you realise what a top job bluntphil does with Ringing the Blues each week.

• @perfidious_albion Bit harsh to compare what was just a chat about the game to what Phil does. They seem to have a big following among their fans.

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

Did the actual facts about the injury ever come to light? I can remember some fair dark non-football related rumours doing the rounds.

I think we all know what the rumour is - that needs not be mentioned on here as forum owners get worried.

I just really hope that was a scurrilous rumour, as it'd make a dreadful situation just much worse.

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:

>

Early 2000s me still can’t believe a forward line of Devine, Rammell and Falconbridge never fired us to promotion.

• Was Devine really signed for £200,000? That must have been absolutely massive money in those days, at least for a club our size.

Was Devine really signed for £200,000? That must have been absolutely massive money in those days, at least for a club our size.

The summer we went for Currie and Roberts, I think between them it was about a 400-450k outlay, the year after the cup run.
    And we apparently went all in with the full amount on Nathan Ellington.

I've always wondered how it would have gone differently, if we'd pulled that off.

Would love to know what bids we turned down for Devine too, if any.
    There was talk of Burnley booting 800k into an offer.

• A three way Turkish tug of war between Galatassaray, Beskitas and Fenebache for up to 5 million for Alan Beeton-again.

• @ChasHarps said:
    A three way Turkish tug of war between Galatassaray, Beskitas and Fenebache for up to 5 million for Alan Beeton-again.

I remember Liverpool were "watching" him. Presumably in the same way they watched every single teenager who made a few appearances.

But did that story really come out!?

• IIRC
    Sean Devine £200,000
    Darren Currie £250,000
    Stuart Roberts £120,000

We were rumoured to have bid £400k plus for Ellington as well. We did well out of ITV Digital!

• edited February 2020

I was going to say I don't remember Nathan Ellington playing for us - but he was probably in the Wigan side at my first Wycombe game (Feb 2003, can't remember anything other than we lost 2-0).