Skip to content

Where do you think we will finish this season?

Head not heart. There’s no hope here.

Poll not found

Comments

• Accrington (although Wembley would be better.)

• I've not selected an option in the poll as my thoughts are that any of them currently could realistically be where we finish.

My head says -

• win tomorrow and we won't finish in a relegation spot;
      • lose tomorrow and we won't finish in an automatic promotion spot;
      • draw tomorrow and we could finish anywhere except 1st, 22nd or 23rd.
    • @Uncle_T said:
      I've not selected an option in the poll as my thoughts are that any of them currently could realistically be where we finish.

My head says -

It takes a win tomorrow to convince you we won't go down?

My word.

• We've got 50 points already! I'll happily take a bet with anyone who thinks the team who finishes 21st will get to that number.

• Not sure why you keep asking @glasshalfempty

Is it just to show off that you can do the poll thingy?

• People can create a poll thingy???

• Being a fan is not about what you think will happen having dissected it like a dull accountant.

It's about allowing yourself to dream of what might be.

I'm dreaming of promotion. There will be plenty of time to be miserable afterwards if we don't achieve it

• I agree with @eric_plant I thought we would beat MK Dons...now I think we'll beat Bristol Rovers. Thinking we won't or examining all possible future scenarios I find a bit depressing. And it looks a lot like Maths sometimes...

• @Uncle_T said:
      I've not selected an option in the poll as my thoughts are that any of them currently could realistically be where we finish.

My head says -

I'd say we've been effectively safe from relegation for a few weeks now.

• In a 44 game season, 50 points is more than safe. Tranmere are well behind the pace of even a point per game, too.

I understand the dreaming, but in addition, I am also going to enjoy having 15 games without any fear of relegation. I hope we get promoted, and will be disappointed if we don't, but it is a totally different pressure to fighting the drop.

• I know I could easily do this myself but expect the stattos have already done the maths, How many of the teams with games in hand over us have to play each other? Answer on a postcard...

• edited February 2020

Coventry:
      Pompey (on Tuesday)
      Sunderland
      Oxford

Pompey:
      Coventry
      Fleetwood x2
      Doncaster
      Oxford

Sunderland:
      Oxford
      Fleetwood
      Coventry

Oxford:
      Sunderland
      Pompey
      Coventry
      Fleetwood

Doncaster:
      Pompey

Fleetwood:
      Pompey x2
      Sunderland
      (also no game on the final day as they were due to have Bury then)

No, I can't go back through and add 'H' and 'A'...

• I don't think Fleetwood will be in the mix, but imagine how rubbish it would be for them, having to watch helplessly on the last day, as their fate is decided.

Hopefully come May, we won't be remembering that late goal conceded away at Fleetwood, or even that JJ pen miss late at Ipswich.

• thanks @chairboyscentral considering they all need to get results to make the games in hand count it's not all cut and dried.

• I never go expecting us to win (I blame Croydon). I am therefore unusually elated when we do.

I also haven’t thought we’d get relegated since Ipswich away, which has taken all the tension out of this season for me (not that I’m complaining).

I would however have no problem with Accrington away being our most tension-filled game for years...

I am also 99% convinced @Uncle_T was only jesting so a little surprised at the negativity in some of the responses

• edited February 2020

Anyone who has ever sat or stood near me at a match will know that I am naturally pessimistic about our chances.

• @bookertease said:
      I never go expecting us to win (I blame Croydon). I am therefore unusually elated when we do.

I also haven’t thought we’d get relegated since Ipswich away, which has taken all the tension out of this season for me (not that I’m complaining).

I would however have no problem with Accrington away being our most tension-filled game for years...

I am also 99% convinced @Uncle_T was only jesting so a little surprised at the negativity in some of the responses

Was that Croydon in 86/87 season ? We had just one 12 league games on the bounce, and went and lost at that appalling dump, to a team that had literally no fans. Westy sent off and Rick Collier making his only ever appearence with Wycombe in goal. I remember the ref nearly got strangled by some irate Wanderers fans.

• That’s the one @ChasHarps. I think I may have been near the front of the queue wanting to strangle the ref.

(Calmed down quickly after the game in the bar at the ground by hearing that Yeovil has lost I seem to remember)

• Croydon was never my favourite place after my first trip when the Jeffways coach driver couldn’t find the ground and we arrived 15 minutes late for an FA Cup tie we should have won easily to find that we were already 2-0 down (good comeback to draw 2-2).

• Croydon arena reminded me of Handy Cross sports centre. Dreadful place to watch football.

• I remember feeling angry and frustrated at events, and at Westy's smirk as he walked off the pitch after the red card. We still had Ashford, Graham, Bressington and Durham in the side, should have got something out of it.

JG was not impressed in his next programme notes, "... disgusted with the mindless behaviour of those few supporters at the end of the game toward the referee and linesmen."

https://ae9ec797-5218-4c64-9688-c2958c176a62.filesusr.com/ugd/13036b_0e944141ad674c70b448aefcb6371abe.pdf

• Nothing changes does it apart from the name of the opponent does it?!

• @Uncle_T said:
      Anyone who has ever sat or stood near me at a match will know that I am naturally pessimistic about our chances.

Ditto. My young companion and I always exchange predictions just before the game. On the rare occasion I express optimism, it is always fatal.

• I forgot all about this poll. 60% didn't think we'd finish top six. Interesting.

• But pleasing to pessimists perhaps.

• @glasshalfempty said:
      I forgot all about this poll. 60% didn't think we'd finish top six. Interesting.

Quite uninteresting given we were 7th in the betting. 'Small sample poll roughly reflects market prices' isn't going to be run on the front page of the Sun

• That the person who ran the poll forgot about its very existence says everything one needs to know about such things