Skip to content

Rivals?

2»

Comments

• @ChasHarps said:
    the day Leyton Orient relegated them to the conference was arguably my favourite non Wanderers footballing moment.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for that game. It was absolutely glorious. A river of tears down Grenoble Road.

• You lucky bugger, Shame they couldnt get those Daily Mirror workers to line the streets and wave the grizzling PNL plebs a farewell to the FL.

• Rivalries change over the years back on the 60s and 70s it was Enfield as we were vying with them for top dog spot in The Amateur game , then Slough especially when they joined our league and. moving on Col U and then Headington Its got a lot to do with a club appearing to be less nice to like than ours either due to the team, manager and or fans. As we know everyone loves us ! I personally like Slough as they pose no threat to our local supremacy and have come through tough recent times with being a nomad team until recently May change if they get a couple of promotions !

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@ChasHarps said:
    the day Leyton Orient relegated them to the conference was arguably my favourite non Wanderers footballing moment.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for that game. It was absolutely glorious. A river of tears down Grenoble Road.

Its often forgotten that former Wanderers great Micky Simpson, was in the Orient team that sent PNL down. Maybe a statue of Simmo, next to Westy's Tower that overlooks the Bucks/Oxon border should be commissioned.

• @micra said:
    Having said that, I sincerely hope that, on the anniversary of the start of his two month ban, Scott Kashket (having found some (legitimate !) means of keeping relatively match fit) returns alongside Bayo and Fred to score the winning goal in added time.

@micra, unfortunately Scotty is banned until midnight on the day of the Oxford game:

"He is immediately suspended from all football and football-related activities for a
    period of 2 months from (and including) 21 January 2020 until 11.59pm on 21 March
    2020".

• Shame @Steve_Peart. I assumed the two month period started at 00.01 on 21 January and ended at 23.59 on 20 March. I was very much tongue in cheek of course and it would have been very unlikely that he’d play in any case. Short cameo from 70 minutes perhaps.

• @Malone said:
    @micra, surely you've seen Mousinho's "sh!thousery" on more than one occasion against us to hold it against Oxford. And many such situations from other players/clubs etc.
    Rovers storming onto our pitch and general goonery, Plymouth and their behaviour.

This sorta stuff all adds up.

I’m aware of the kind of things that go on @Malone and the mighty Wanderers are not totally immune but if I felt the kind of hatred and animosity that some clearly feel I probably wouldn’t be here today!

• I thoroughly enjoyed the Oxford Newcastle game last night, although I was cheering for injuries. It really rankled though listening to the commentators bang on about the milk cup and what a big club Oxford used to be without once mentioning that it was all paid for with money stolen from pensioners.

• They should have had the trophy withdrawn like what happened with Marseille.
    Bribing officials or Robbing pensioners ??
    I know what the more heinous crime was ?

• @drcongo said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Oxford Newcastle game last night, although I was cheering for injuries. It really rankled though listening to the commentators bang on about the milk cup and what a big club Oxford used to be without once mentioning that it was all paid for with money stolen from pensioners.

That sort of thing is more than their job is worth.
    They could quite easily ask similar questions about Chelsea and City's success versus where that money came from too.

• @eric_plant said:

@LDF said:
    The Colchester rivalry began in 1986 when, as a non-league side, we beat them on and off the pitch in the FA cup at Loakes Park. They never managed to get over it.

1985 wasn't it?

No, 1986.