Skip to content

Rivals?

Sat watching Oxford v Newcastle, and started thinking about our various rivalries, large and small. What are everyone else's thoughts ?

Personally, I actually dont mind Oxford that much. Dont mind Bristol Rovers or Plymouth. Not over keen on Colchester. Dislike Luton, massively dislike MK ... obviously.

Would be nice if Slough moved up the leagues for a proper derby !!

Have I missed anyone !?

Comments

• This may be generational, but Plymouth and Bristol Rovers are the two I really don't like. I'm not fussed by Oxford and - maybe because I've not read enough about it/no one's ever explained it to me - I know Colchester as our rivals just 'because they are'. Luton's fans are quite gobby, but I don't have anything against them as a team/club, while MK don't deserve us as rivals.

• Be nicer still if we moved up to play QPR (or they move down) on a regular basis. I always liked the games against them

• If we can somehow get up, it will be great to play Watford next season.

• I always think I'm over the Col U thing until we play them and I immediately hate them again

• Our rivalries with Bristol Rovers and Plymouth only exist on social media don't they?

It'll always be ColU for me, followed by Reading, whose fans were much worse than Sunderland's when they were in L1 and because i used to live there. If we played Slough more regularly they'd be in second place. I really don't care about Oxford, and Milton Keynes don't deserve to be considered our rivals.

It's generational to a certain extent, my dad still enjoys it when Blyth lose.

• Col U, obvs. But Bristol Rovers really are a horrible bunch of fans. Every time they come to Adams Park at least one drunk, aggressive horsepuncher gets thrown out of the Frank Adams for offering the entire stand out to the bemusement of the pensioners and kids around them.

• I hate oxford with a passion....

• I would say for any club to be considered “rivals”, it has to be mutual.

Under that criterion I’d say ColU are the only ones (at least in terms of league clubs) that count...but for younger fans (of either club) I guess they really wouldn’t get it.

The PNLs are more annoying than anything, their comedy attempt at a stadium included.

I can’t really hate Bristol Rovers as I lived near the ground for a bit, and I think it was pretty much only off the back of one game that anything even approaching a grudge started.

As others have said, the franchise are beneath consideration.

So it’s not really rich pickings to be honest. I do remember the QPR games of the early 2000s throwing up endless aggro between the players (again already mentioned) but again not really a true rivalry as such.

• two poor free kicks for Oxford, 2 goals and extra time. Surely Newcastle can finish them off in the next 30 minutes.

• Very impressed with the football played by Oxford. Can’t recall whether @Malone included them in his top six but they’ll be there or thereabouts.

• @micra said:
    Very impressed with the football played by Oxford. Can’t recall whether @Malone included them in his top six but they’ll be there or thereabouts.

Without doubt they'll be in.
    The only problem is it's hard to see who of Rotherham, Peterboro, Cov, Ipswich, Ox and Portsmouth will fail, letting us in. Although we obviously do still hold 2nd. But by the skin of out teeth.

• I think Rotherham will win it. Swap Ipswich for Sunderland and that's the top six imo, but who knows in what order?

• @floyd said:
    Our rivalries with Bristol Rovers and Plymouth only exist on social media don't they?

It'll always be ColU for me, followed by Reading, whose fans were much worse than Sunderland's when they were in L1 and because i used to live there. If we played Slough more regularly they'd be in second place. I really don't care about Oxford, and Milton Keynes don't deserve to be considered our rivals.

It's generational to a certain extent, my dad still enjoys it when Blyth lose.

Whereas Oxford are bigger for me as I live there, but I couldn't care less about Reading.

We're sort of victims of history and geography as far as rivals go, aren't we. We've left our big non-league rivalries behind (how many younger fans would even think of Slough or Oxford City in a list of rivals) and most of the clubs near-ish to us either have other long-standing rivalries - Oxford/Swindon, Watford/Luton, any of the West London teams - or have never spent long enough in the same league as us to build up a rivalry. The animosity with Plymouth will doubtless fade now that the lovely Derek has departed and as and when Ainsworth goes it'll likely fade on their side. A real rivalry has to be able to survive years of separation. Only Col U really counts on that front, but even that's nothing like it was back in the early-mid 90s. MK would doubtless love to have a rivalry with us but they don't deserve it.

• Rovers, Oxford, Col U for me.

• I don't think Rovers hold us in the ire that we hold them.
    They're too busy blaming City fans for being behind all the issues their goon fans cause.

• Always Clu for me. All the other spats and grudges are temporary.....Clu away at Layer Road back in the day...happy days.

• Not sure why the * in between the C and the lu didn't show....I blame Roy McDonough.

• Has always been Slough as no 1 for me and i still look for their results hoping they've lost, Colchester no 2 as i cant forget our Conference encounters and in The FL and The Gas no 3 as i live among the ****s!

• @mooneyman said:
    If we can somehow get up, it will be great to play Watford next season.

Bloody daytrippers

• I wrote this piece on our 'rivalry' with Oxford towards the start of last season, also touches on our rivalries with other teams

https://d3d4football.com/oxford-wycombe-are-they-rivals-by-phil-slatter/

• Oxford mainly for me along with Colchester. I think if we regularly play against MK in years to come that could well turn out to be our biggest football league rivalry.

• Col U always. I ave a hatred for Reading as well - as @floyd said, their fans were the Sunderland of their day in the early 00's. I think its funny that Brizzle Rovers don't like us much, and Plymouth are a lot less of a rival now that Adams has moved on

• The Colchester rivalry began in 1986 when, as a non-league side, we beat them on and off the pitch in the FA cup at Loakes Park. They never managed to get over it.

• edited February 2020

Something I wrote some time ago, July 2014 actually -

With no world cup tonight and at a bit of a loose end, so … my top 5 most disliked football clubs.

1. BRISTOL ROVERS – from no-where they take top spot for their antics over the last couple of seasons.

2. MK DONS – stealing a league place just should never be forgiven, start again and win your right to be above us!!! (Success can be bought but pride has to be earned)

3. OXFORD UNITED – too big for their boots, but hey, they did win the Egg Cup in 1786

4. PREMIERSHIP – hogging all the money and holding the rest of football to ransom (L3!!!! sort out a proper youth development policy through all the divisions – the cream will rise!).

5. COLCHESTER UNITED – animals from the 80’s/90’s, bit tame now though – maybe with Tesco’s opening on every corner the novelty of blue & white stripes is wearing a bit thin (dropping down the list).

6. LUTON TOWN – just never really taken to them, no real reason (maybe it was Lorraine Chase who did it).

Dropping off the list – SLOUGH TOWN, I must be mellowing in my old age but I just feel sorry for them now – hah!

• No need to feel sorry for Slough. We could be playing them again in a few year’s time!

Probably an age and/or football upbringing thing but I’ve never felt any animosity or hatred towards any other club or their fans.
    Watching the second half of Oxford’s match last night I enjoyed (and admired) their style of football and let out as loud a shout when they scored as I would if it had been Wycombe. I felt proud to see a third tier side competing so impressively against Premier League opposition (albeit not their full strength eleven). Karl Robinson is doing a good job.

Having said that, I sincerely hope that, on the anniversary of the start of his two month ban, Scott Kashket (having found some (legitimate !) means of keeping relatively match fit) returns alongside Bayo and Fred to score the winning goal in added time.

• @LDF said:
    The Colchester rivalry began in 1986 when, as a non-league side, we beat them on and off the pitch in the FA cup at Loakes Park. They never managed to get over it.

1985 wasn't it?

• @micra, surely you've seen Mousinho's "sh!thousery" on more than one occasion against us to hold it against Oxford. And many such situations from other players/clubs etc.
    Rovers storming onto our pitch and general goonery, Plymouth and their behaviour.

This sorta stuff all adds up.

• Speaking of Oxford. I wonder if they will use the monies from the recent sale of two players to finally pay of the HMRC. I look forward each quarter to representatives of Her Majesty applying for winding up orders against OUFC. It's almost part of my seasonal entertainment!

• I admire the way Karl Robinson has them playing football, and its far easier on the eye than our brand of 'compete & disrupt'. But that's where the love in ends. Their fans are amongst the most delusional ive ever come across. The fact they continually harp on about the Milk Cup win, despite it being funded by Maxwell robbing OAP's pension fund, makes them all the more loathsome. Along with them previously running out to a hit by 'Oxon's favourite son' Gary Glitter, having annoying weazel Timmy Mallet as a celebrity fan and totally destroying Slade's 'My oh MY' as their cup final song recording. There is nothing else to like about the Three sided name changers, the day Leyton Orient relegated them to the conference was arguably my favourite non Wanderers footballing moment.

• Plymouth and Bristol Rovers for me. Plymouth because of Adams and their fans' various meltdowns and Bristol Rovers simply because I had to explain to my eight year old daughter why fat bald men were trying to fight the old fellas in the Frank Adams above us one season. Luton only because of Oh Tommy Tommy and Hylton. Indifferent about Oxford and not been around long enough to be incensed by Colchester...