Skip to content

Comments

• Nice to see the Gardiner connection. I didn't know that.

• Hopefully the pitch is one thing we'll see a tangible improvement in next season under the new ownership

• It's been absolutely impeccable the last few seasons, hence my surprise at its poor condition this year.

• Thanks for that @wingnut, very interesting.

"I put the question to Sean [Woodley, Head Groundsman] that, if money was no object, what piece of kit would help improve the quality of the pitch? "That's easy. I would like a full set of SGL lighting rigs. They would make a massive difference to the playing surface. In all honesty, even one lighting rig would make a difference."

Brighton's lighting rigs are not proving popular with locals:
    https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2020/01/24/hundreds-call-on-albion-to-put-the-glowing-amexs-lights-out/

• Thank you. I posted it because I was involved for years in pitch preparation at "grass roots level" (not a pun) and found that people generally have no idea how difficult it is to prepare a good surface faced with all that nature throws at you. Reading this article may help understanding of what is involved.

• Hopefully our soon to be new owners will be able to fund the badly needed work on the pitch this summer. I note the comments about the training pitch needing more attention.

I watched some of Sunday's Reading v Man U WSL game on the FA Player. The pitch is not so sticky now and, with a dry forecast until Saturday (possible light rain early on that day), we should have a better surface for the ball carriers.

• Intrigued by your reference to “the FA Player” @Steve_Peart . Could you clarify what that is and how it is accessed, please.

• Many thanks @wingnut for posting that. A fascinating insight into the complexities of pitch maintenance. The exceptionally wet late autumn and winter has also no doubt been a major factor.

Keep up the good work Swan Weedly and colleagues.

• Sean Woodley.

• As someone who is obsessed with my front lawn after the hot summer a couple of years ago baked and burned it to a crisp I found the article really interesting. Nice to see Steve G getting a reference. Re the lighting rig, I did see a piece on telly a while ago, (maybe in the Sheffield area?) where the police donated lighting rigs confiscated from raids on cannabis farms in the local area and from these lighting rigs for football pitches were built. However I think it's not cost of the lights that's the issue but more the running costs, shame as I would imagine there are plenty of cannabis farms locally that get raided etc.
    Overall good, interesting article.

• @micra, go to https://faplayer.thefa.com/fixtures/all and sign up. You need an "FA" account to watch the games.

There is also the FA Player app you can download on mobile devices.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed, I had a quick look on the SGL site. Their most basic rig, covering just 50m2, costs £9,500 (plus £500 delivery). Their larger rigs had no prices listed, POA I suppose. As you say, it's the running costs which are expensive.

"Sean tells me the stadium has its own climate and suffers heavily with shade because of where it is situated. "It can be zero degrees down the road whilst, in here, it will be minus two degrees! We have a period in winter of nine weeks with no light as the sun does not rise high enough to get over the bank with the trees behind the main stand. We did a shade diagram for the EFL four years ago and, every day for nine weeks, we just shaded it all in! We have looked at lighting rigs, and discussed it with the club on numerous occasions but, like most things, it comes down to the cost of purchasing them and, once you have them, the cost to run them is not cheap. In the summer, we have the opposite problem. It can be like a sauna in here, we can't get enough water on and it can start to bake the pitch off."

• I've always thought that a cold day is even colder inside Adams Park.

• I found that article really fascinating, despite having no idea about half the gear and terminology they discussed. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks for the FA Player information @Steve_Peart . It was more out of curiosity than serious intent but good to know that it’s available and I’m sure there are many others on here who will be interested.

• LEDs could well get the running costs down as they use very little energy for the lumens they output. They are also compatible with most fixtures.

I think it is a great idea to ask the police to donate the rigs they confiscate, what else will they ever be used for?

• Interesting thread, this.

• I'm maintaining a low groan...I'm not even that interested in my own garden.> @Shev said:

Interesting thread, this.

I'm maintaining a low groan...I'm not even that interested in my own garden.

• You can say that again!

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    You can say that again!

I blame the lumens

• Mate, the more lumens the brighter!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm maintaining a low groan...I'm not even that interested in my own garden.> @Shev said:

Interesting thread, this.

I'm maintaining a low groan...I'm not even that interested in my own garden.

Your garden groan?

• edited February 2020

Just had a youngling explaining to me some AI applications they are exploring for implementation in my workplace. I suspect for him, even using layman's terms, it was like explaining the printing press to a caveman. I fear I will have more time to spend daytipping before long or holding a torch over the pitch for a few hours.

• It's not over until the fat lady sings as they say @Wendoverman. Just keep saying "well that's most interesting" and "thank goodness we're a progressive company" and the youngsters will settle down a bit!

• I was appalled to read its eighteen (!) years since the whole Wasps debacle.

• Not sure from your 4.30 post @Wendoverman whether your tipping or tripping. Perhaps you could shed some light. Or light a shed. I shall only say this once. I shall only say this once.

• @micra I am always tripping...sometimes the light fantastic, sometimes like the end of 2001 maaaan, and sometimes just over the bloody kerb.

• @Wendoverman you are a joy.

• @floyd said:
    I was appalled to read its eighteen (!) years since the whole Wasps debacle.

All that spin about how it was good for is financially etc. Then eventually they admitted it was totally profit neutral.

Not to mention those fans who stopped watching us to watch them.

Plus the little issue of us very nearly be coming paying tenants in a white elephant stadium.

Sheash.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @micra I am always tripping...sometimes the light fantastic, sometimes like the end of 2001 maaaan, and sometimes just over the bloody kerb.

Kind of you to try and resurrect the vibe of @LX1 but not quite got it right.