Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• @Shev said:
    @Glenactico is starting to get a nice habit of summing up games perfectly (though I might have just not noticed before these last two or three).

I’ve been abroad for a while and watching on Ifollow. I think i find it easier to analyse the game dispassionately when watching online. I find I tend to get more caught up in individual errors, bad refereeing decisions etc when I am at the game in person. Although actually today I was actually at the game for the first time in months.

It looks to me as though we will have to maintain our superb home form to finish in the top 6. We have seven home games left. Rovers are in poor form, as are Fleetwood (although they won today I think). Gills, Tranmere, Wimbledon are also very beatable at AP. A lot could depend on two big games at home Vs. Oxford and Rotherham, and on whether we can overcome the poor recent record against teams around us. If we could also find a way to get a couple of away wins from Accy, Southend, Lincoln and Shrewsbury. The other way games look tough.

• Thing is, I don't think we've put in a truly excellent defensive performance since Ipswich away. That's what our success has been built on and the only game the back four has been at full strength since then was Rochdale - and we still let them in a bit too easily on occasion. It's been unsettled for a while now and we're not getting away with winning games by the odd goal. Maybe a return to the more 'unrestrained' approach to games like MK at home, Southend and Lincoln - when it looked like we could outscore anyone - is on the horizon. There were glimmers of that against Blackpool.

• edited February 2020

And on a non-playing note, how did we go from riding the crest of a wave, feeling like nothing could stop us, to calls for the manager to be sacked, players being slagged off in disgraceful fashion, and stupid reactionary statements after any loss? It's just a good thing social media isn't representative of the views of the majority of the fan base - I hope. Passions run high, but they also run ridiculous among some people. Getting annoyed about poor performances and seeing the bigger picture are not mutually exclusive. This forum may descend into silliness at times, but it's by far the most balanced and considered arena for Wycombe debate.

• @chairboyscentral that'll be by playing absolute horseshit for the best part of 2 months I imagine

• @chairboyscentral - do you not think the vast majority of the fan base are worried about where the next goals are coming from? Why we signed a goalkeeper and not a forward? It’s just they don’t feel it necessary to put it on social media. Very naive !!

• If every single one of @davecz's posts are anything to go by, the only thing Wycombe fans care about at all is signing another striker. I'm starting to wonder if @davecz is a striker who's been turned down for a trial.

• @davecz I'm not talking about that - I'm talking about the pathetic way some people overreact. No one's saying we've not been poor in a lot of games lately, but there's always a sense of perspective to be had. For what it's worth, I do think we should have brought in a creator, and I think Gaz would have done if the right player had been available.

• edited February 2020

@Tom said:
    @chairboyscentral that'll be by playing absolute horseshit for the best part of 2 months I imagine

We haven't.

Burton: Played ok
    Oxford: Played well with 10 men but maybe easier for us as a naturally defensive team
    Pompey: Probably slightly sub-par and conceded due to two uncharacteristic mistakes
    Coventry: Rubbish
    Ipswich: Decent
    Sunderland: I wasn't there but have heard and seen enough
    Rochdale: Played well
    Peterborough: Poor but probably mitigated by the red
    Blackpool: At our best for an hour at least
    Today: Poor

Overall, not great and not at the levels we were at up to Ipswich away - but certainly not horseshit.

• Sadly it went from 'come on wycombe' to 'yew fakkin useless fakkin cants' very quickly where i was standing. From.someone who had to have it explained to them that we won our last game, who the right back was and why we were applauding at 62 minutes. He was fit to wear the (very big) shirt though.

• edited February 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    @davecz . For what it's worth, I do think we should have brought in a creator, and I think Gaz would have done if the right player had been available.

I hear Man City turned down our enquiry for Jesus on loan.

• The meltdown among a significant portion of our fans is pathetic, but just shows that our supporters as a cross section are no different to any others.

• I thought Smyth was relatively fine today. He hardly got the ball, but when he did he charged well against the full backs. He picks it up, drives into space and at least looks purposeful, Freeman is touted by some as the creative midfielder we need, and rarely does anything of value.

• I've said it before, and I'll say it again... er dont need more strikers... we have enough, we just need a midfielder capable of actually passing the ball to them in a decent positions !! .... and no, Freeman is not the answer

• It's a shame Bryn Morris has had so many issues, could easily have seen him coming back on loan otherwise.

• I couldn't help but laugh at the conversation behind me, as they effectively slagged off GA, Bayo and the club by claiming that it was a disgrace that Bayo was allowed to attend the Superbowl.
    His absence, according to them was, the main reason we lost today and it was a failure of club and manager to permit him miss a game.durimg the season. They couldn't understand why we should be deprived of our most effective forward at this point in the campaign and seemed to find it inconceivable that we don't have his services for the full 46 games in the season.
    "Why do they allow it - we pay his wages FFS" was the phrase I heard more than once.

When I pointed out to them that maybe it had been precisely BECAUSE we allow him to attend the Superbowl that we have his services for the remaining 45 games and perhaps it was a triumph of club and manager to get him to sign for another year they seemed most deflated.

Sadly this is the kind of discussion that gets traction on social media and too many fans seem to jump on the bandwagon of criticism without thinking about the bigger pi tire

• Thankfully, GA and the players grew up as fans themselves, and can hopefully make some allowance for the unreasonable attitude of some of the fanbase.

It never ceases to amaze how quickly people can turn on a team they "support"!

• edited February 2020

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Anthony Stewart seems not to be covering himself in glory. Glad I'm not there as I'd be embarrassed for Wycombe over that. A very frustrating time for us all. Perhaps we really did fly to close to the sun and the wings have come off. Sigh! Onward and not too upward perhaps but still second in L1.

This, gives them all the ammunition they want. Let us down today.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sadly it went from 'come on wycombe' to 'yew fakkin useless fakkin cants' very quickly where i was standing. From.someone who had to have it explained to them that we won our last game, who the right back was and why we were applauding at 62 minutes. He was fit to wear the (very big) shirt though.

At least you didn't have 90mins of commentary from a group of early 20s gents describing every one as a "baller" and all manner of utter witless twaddle.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I thought Smyth was relatively fine today. He hardly got the ball, but when he did he charged well against the full backs. He picks it up, drives into space and at least looks purposeful, Freeman is touted by some as the creative midfielder we need, and rarely does anything of value.

I think expectations have been raised with Smyth. Maybe today is what he offers.

When Fred comes back expectations will be off the scale.

• @Twizz said:
    I couldn't help but laugh at the conversation behind me, as they effectively slagged off GA, Bayo and the club by claiming that it was a disgrace that Bayo was allowed to attend the Superbowl.

>

I'm torn on this. Part of me thinks...do you think Alex Ferguson would have allowed that? A PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALLER that we pay (for him to do a job for us) taking days off to go and watch an American football match?
    On the other hand...we are not Man Utd and GA is not Alex Ferguson.
    As it happens, Paul Pogba went too!

• But then Man Utd would pay top money to entice players. We are (or certainly were) having to try and entice players here on (relatively) low and uncompetitive wages and I’m sure part of that includes the development of the older players into areas away from football.

• @Shev said:
    @Glenactico is starting to get a nice habit of summing up games perfectly (though I might have just not noticed before these last two or three).

Agree. I thought they were poor in the first half and I was very disappointed that with Freeman Smyth Samuel and Wheeler on the pitch that we seemed so toothless in attack. Especially as Parker is then the only goal threat on the bench. Having said that had his back heel gone in just after he came on we would have still been in it. Rocky must be glad that it was his 'replacement' that let that second one in! Liked the Franchise ground though and the away end being so close to Wagamama!

• @thecatwwfc although I clearly have no insider info on this I'm pretty certain that, if WWFC didn't allow Bayo to fulfil his other media commitments and attend the Superbowl, we wouldn't have his services for the other league & cup games.
    You're correct in that we pay him to do a job for us - but without knowing the exact terms of the contract who can say if he's bunking off or doing something that's allowed within his contract?
    Do you really believe that Bayo is at the Superbowl against the wishes of the club and GA?
    You decide for yourself but I know where I stand.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Sadly it went from 'come on wycombe' to 'yew fakkin useless fakkin cants' very quickly where i was standing. From.someone who had to have it explained to them that we won our last game, who the right back was and why we were applauding at 62 minutes. He was fit to wear the (very big) shirt though.

At least you didn't have 90mins of commentary from a group of early 20s gents describing every one as a "baller" and all manner of utter witless twaddle.

A young chap was spoken to by the Feds for his language which seemed to upset a lot of the true fans around me 'wots wrong wiv saying cant at a football match???'

• You can’t @Wendoverman .

• On the other side of the fence there were a couple of older guys behind us who seemed more interested in moaning and tutting at the behaviour and standing up of our fans, than the game itself, to the point that they sat down without a view for 30 minutes despite 100s of free seats all around and plenty of people "swapping" seats for the first 5 minutes like sensible human beings.

• @Username said:
    On the other side of the fence there were a couple of older guys behind us who seemed more interested in moaning and tutting at the behaviour and standing up of our fans, than the game itself, to the point that they sat down without a view for 30 minutes despite 100s of free seats all around and plenty of people "swapping" seats for the first 5 minutes like sensible human beings.

Yeah, I had one steward tell me it was allocated seating - none of the others (one of whom I'm convinced was the guy from reception at Adams Park, randomly) mentioned it and everyone moved about with no fuss as far as I could see.

• On the game, first half although hardly inspiring I wasn't unduly worried, it was a reasonable away performance, they had the best chance but we had more openings and plenty of pressure and corners.

Second half was really poor, Gape being one foul away from a red hindered us for a while (thought him and Lewington could both have gone on another day, at least the ref was consistent).

I like Smyth, but he needs to learn that when a ref isn't buying his antics, to just stop. Massively feel like a goal and a bit of confidence could make all the difference with him though, and his pace and skill is exciting to watch when it works- yesterday it didn't.

Stockdale looked an absolute class above, and then let in a howler. The upgrades in communication, ball handling and distribution are clear enough that I think he should be given a run, I'm hoping the shot stopping will return with match fitness.

The Stewart incident was much ado about nothing. Players kick the ball in frustration all the time, if it did or didn't hit someone in the crowd is completely coincidental.

• edited February 2020

I'm still not sure Stockdale's error was all that bad. The kind of save you'd expect a 'keeper of his calibre to make but not a howler or cause for panic imo - the shot was hit with power and the bounce probably made it difficult. Some of his kicking yesterday was absolutely sublime.