Skip to content

Match day thread: Milton Keynes

Comments

• Jacob Gardiner-Smith has put on his Instagram Story of him playing for us saying 'matchday'. Anyone know if he has been recalled or something like that?

• Dream scenario for some today. If we win it’ll be ‘we don’t need Bayo!’ If we lose: ‘where was Bayo? It’s a disgrace.’

• @floyd said:
    Dream scenario for some today. If we win it’ll be ‘we don’t need Bayo!’ If we lose: ‘where was Bayo? It’s a disgrace.’

Sad but true

• Can’t win; can’t lose.

• Have no problems with him going tbh, obviously part of his deal. Could easily have quit last year to perdue media work.

Bit odd not to even mention it on the team announcements.

• Rotherham losing, top again as it stands.

• @Shev said:
    Rotherham losing, top again as it stands.

That didn't last long

• We flew close to the sun for the briefest of moments.

• Icarus like?

• quiet 1st half ....we need to get Smyth more involved....

• Am getting used to away game ettiquette. True fans dont watch the game then?

• Rotherham goal difference +23
    Our goal difference +3 (as it stands)

I realise it's the points that matter, but think where we would be if we had Rotherham's goal difference. Where are our goals coming from? I really can't see it.

• Goals, what goals?

• I think Stockdale could have done better there. Ah well.

• that is absolutely pathetic...we never look like scoring....I am sorry but GA should of addressed that in the transfer market

• @Wanderers82 said:
    that is absolutely pathetic...we never look like scoring....I am sorry but GA should of addressed that in the transfer market

It's been our BIGGEST problem all season. But in GA's defence...where do you get another 20 goals from? A striker would cost you over £1million and a loanee, you'd think, would have to be the calibre of...well....Rolando Aarons.

• Anthony Stewart seems not to be covering himself in glory. Glad I'm not there as I'd be embarrassed for Wycombe over that. A very frustrating time for us all. Perhaps we really did fly to close to the sun and the wings have come off. Sigh! Onward and not too upward perhaps but still second in L1.

• @wformation said:
    2-0

Sorry, I meant our goals.

• so obvious that we need a striker , should of got Hylton at least he can score

• We have been struggling to score and we take a goalkeeper on loan. Sorry that is poor management. We should have addressed it in the window. And we let Bayo have a week off. Again poor management. I think that Ainsworth has done a great job but he does not get it right all the time. He must take responsibility.

• edited February 2020

@Wanderers82 said:
    so obvious that we need a striker , should of got Hylton at least he can score

Where were the clear-cut chances in that game? Statistically, we're the second most clinical team in the league in terms of taking big chances. The problem, as was obvious again today, is creating more of those chances - something we get away with when defending at our best, but we clearly didn't do that today.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    so obvious that we need a striker , should of got Hylton at least he can score

But he's a racist pr**k. I'm sure he will fit in perfectly with our squad.

It's all very well saying "we should have done this and that". Fact is, we haven't. And that will be for a reason (ie - Hylton is a pr**k, earns £4k a week and doesnt fit in with what we are)

• Hopefully Fred is really, really close to coming back. I don’t do MK so can only base my opinion on the commentary, but sounds like we’ve really lacked a cutting edge up top today.

Disappointing to lose to relegation fodder that literally don’t deserve to be on the same pitch as us and the lack of goals from our strikers is a huge concern, but hoping we’ll find a bit of consistency as we go into a month of much kinder fixtures.

We’re still second despite everything, although four of the teams below us can now overtake us if they win their games in hand (although, as we keep seeing this season, that’s a big if).

The Franchise can have their little derby game or whatever they want to call it. Our two clubs are clearly on different trajectories. Winkleman’s money will dry up and they’ll eventually just be an appalling footnote in history.

Whether we go up this season or not, the future’s bright and on bad days like today it’s perhaps worth taking a moment to reflect on how far we’ve come and how much further we can still go.

COYB!

• A good striker does more than just score goals.... Also, I wouldn't back any of our strikers to score more than a couple between now and the end of the season (Bayo aside). Why we didn't sign a striker I don't know. We had budget, but spent it on a GK we didn't need

• I mean, in an ideal world what we "should have" done is gone up to the premiership and signed Ronaldo for £80m before he went to Madrid. Fact is, we are where we are for a reason. It is what it is.

• Terrible thread, this

• Excellent final paragraph from @Jonny_King!

• Important question: was Gareth wearing his leather jacket today?