Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

Comments

• Was concerned by the mobility of Darius Charles for the last 30 mins. Hope he is ok

• One thing I did find a bit odd was that often Bayo was left as the only player up but with no-one alongside him to lay balls off to, and he's not the man to be chasing defenders down. Seemed to invite pressure.

Minor gripe though after yet another good home win and an exceptional first half performance.

• Very sad news. Thoughts with Mark's family and all who knew him.
  • Sad to hear Mark Bird died last night in Wexham Park Hospital aged just 62, my thoughts go out to his family,RIP.

• BSEBSE
    edited January 2020

Very sad news indeed about Mark Bird thoughts to his family and friends.

• Oh dear. What a shock for his family.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BuckinghamBlue said:
    If Samuel has gone down instead of going for the goal would it have been a red for the defender.

One poster on their site says exactly the same thing...glad that he stayed up as it may well have been a penalty and a red card for the defender.

• @Wendoverman said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    If Samuel has gone down instead of going for the goal would it have been a red for the defender.

One poster on their site says exactly the same thing...glad that he stayed up as it may well have been a penalty and a red card for the defender.

Not sure he made the penalty area when he was fouled. Nothing was a given with the ref either. A classic 60 min ref.

• Given he's only getting a chance every now and then, I thought Mascoll had a terrific game at left back last night

• @Wendoverman said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:

I'm certainly pleased the guy didn't foul him, as it started out comfortably outside the box, the ref could easily have bottled it, and nothing to say we'd have made anything from the free kick.

Instead, it allowed Samuel to show us a superb finish, and get his tally up

• @eric_plant said:
    Given he's only getting a chance every now and then, I thought Mascoll had a terrific game at left back last night

I haven't seen him play so far this season and he was impressive, considering I was pretty worried about missing our top scorer before the match.

@Right_in_the_Middle for about 70 mins strangely it seemed we were getting all of the decisions that we don't usually get and Blackpool were having problems with the officials. It was like watching...well...us! I wonder if not having Bayo in the starting line-up reduced the amount of blow-ups for fouls? It's not like you can accuse Alex S of bullying defenders (though he actually does!)

• Samuel reminded me of Andy Baird in his prime on the highlights.

• edited January 2020

@floyd said:
    Samuel reminded me of Andy Baird in his prime on the highlights.

It was good to see an old fashioned sprint in on goal.
    So few of those these days.

Thinking further along that sort of line, someone mentioned that you don't see many roundings of the keeper these days. Was trying to think of the last time a Wycombe player did it?

Anyone?

• Didn't CMS round a keeper and then almost mess up the tap-in? I can't remember who against.

• @Shev said:
    Didn't CMS round a keeper and then almost mess up the tap-in? I can't remember who against.

Swindon in 17/18?

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Shev said:
    Didn't CMS round a keeper and then almost mess up the tap-in? I can't remember who against.

Swindon in 17/18?

It was Crewe at home at the end of September. We won 3-2 when Harriman and Tyson scored in stoppage time

• Kashket went round the keeper to score a consolation against Bristol Rovers at home at the start of last season. So that was more recent than CMS. I'm sure there must have been others since then

• Does Paul Smyth against Bolton count?

Was a long way out but he still went round the keeper sort of

• Not the most recent obviously but has there been a better around the 'keeper goal than John Williams at ColU in the cup?

• Certainly the only one I can think of that sparked a riot

• Going back to last night’s game, agree with the positive comments about Jamie Mascoll’s excellent performance, but a word of praise also for Alex Samuel. Probably his best game for us and deservedly voted MOM for great assist and even better goal. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves because he’s not a consistent scorer, but he creates so much room for others and takes a battering from defenders in most games and always comes back for more.

• My second ever away game. Extraordinary.

• edited January 2020

• A conflicted night, Some joy on the pitch and real sadness off it. Mascoll did look good, much better than I’d expected. And the opening 20 minutes were top drawer. Samuel seemed to be able to receive, hold and turn to goal with the ball rather than always look to lay it off backwards sideways or just desperately hang on whilst getting battered. I wonder if their centre backs were baffled by defending a small fella with a ball at his feet when they’d expected a big fella with a ball somewhere above his head. Of course when we reverted to that.... because the last 20 minutes were bottom drawer. We don’t seem to know how to slow a game down and just keep possession.

But still joint top after the seasonal slip ups and spankings. Bring back Fred and Jack and Scotty, get Rob C’s John Hancock on the deal and who knows what delights await us?

• Good point @Manboobs about Samuel being able to play back to goal and lay it off, but also spin in behind. That is so much more difficult to defend as you are never sure what is coming and allows gives us a different dimension to our attacking play. It may not always work but trying every so often to flick one past the defender and beat them is important. It is one of the reasons we can look completely bereft of ideas when the opposition are able to stop Bayo playing.

• @Manboobs said:
    A conflicted night, Some joy on the pitch and real sadness off it. Mascoll did look good, much better than I’d expected. And the opening 20 minutes were top drawer. Samuel seemed to be able to receive, hold and turn to goal with the ball rather than always look to lay it off backwards sideways or just desperately hang on whilst getting battered. I wonder if their centre backs were baffled by defending a small fella with a ball at his feet when they’d expected a big fella with a ball somewhere above his head. Of course when we reverted to that.... because the last 20 minutes were bottom drawer. We don’t seem to know how to slow a game down and just keep possession.

But still joint top after the seasonal slip ups and spankings. Bring back Fred and Jack and Scotty, get Rob C’s John Hancock on the deal and who knows what delights await us?

We're the best at this part in fairness.

• I watched on iFollow. Crystal clear picture and perfectly synchronised commentary from Bill and Phil. I was able to see far more detail than my admittedly sub-standard eyesight allows when I’m at the ground. That initial onslaught was remarkable and I felt almost as if I was participating. The slick short passing moves, at times involving three or four players, was reminiscent of that stage in the pre-match warm-up when two sides take on each other in a small area of the pitch. It was almost as if they’d missed out on that before kickoff and decided to introduce it into the match itself. It worked a treat.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Shev said:

Swindon in 17/18?

It was the Crewe game I think, when we came back to win 3 - 2 -

• @Malone said:

@Manboobs said:
    A conflicted night, Some joy on the pitch and real sadness off it. Mascoll did look good, much better than I’d expected. And the opening 20 minutes were top drawer. Samuel seemed to be able to receive, hold and turn to goal with the ball rather than always look to lay it off backwards sideways or just desperately hang on whilst getting battered. I wonder if their centre backs were baffled by defending a small fella with a ball at his feet when they’d expected a big fella with a ball somewhere above his head. Of course when we reverted to that.... because the last 20 minutes were bottom drawer. We don’t seem to know how to slow a game down and just keep possession.

We're the best at this part in fairness.

I take your point! I should have added ‘by retaining possession’