Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle - thank you for putting me right. It must be great to be so wise( seen your posts!!!)

• I have said this before, but we do have a major lack of goals from midfield. A penalty from Freeman and an injury time goal from Bloomers in a 2-0 are the only league goals so far.

It is difficult, because our midfield is so exceptional at cover and containment, but do not offer much going forward. That being said, I don't think it is necessarily about lack of offensive talent. How often do we even see Gape or Thompson take a shot? We know Gape has a rocket on him, but I think part of the lack of midfield goals is the way we play. When the ball is bypassing the midfield, we are looking for those Bayo flick-ons, and if they come off, the shot is more likely to come from a forward inside the box. We rarely see build-up play that results in a midfielder arriving at the edge of the box for a shot. I am not criticizing this methodology either, just pointing out a reason we are seeing so few goals from midfield.

The only midfielder who seems to get in a fair few positions for a shot is, unsurprisingly, Nick Freeman, as the most creative among them all. However, his end product is still not there. If his final shot develops, he is going to really come in to his own.

Given all of the above, I can understand why we set up the way we do, and it has served us well despite the recent blip. However, it does mean that the goalscoring pressure falls on the forwards, JJ, and more generally, set pieces.

If Freeman finds an end product, I think it would become easier to make him a regular starter and rely on him as a creative fulcrum and source of midfield goals, while Gape and Thompson continue to boss the defensive portion of midfield. I love Bloomfield, and his effort and pressing are off the charts, but I am hoping Freeman develops into what many of us think he can be, as I think it would give us a massive extra dimension for him to add regular goals to his game.

• I wasn't so wrong after all then ?

• 500 Club is still open if anyone wishes to add their contribution to the playing budget for this season https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/fans/500-club/

• With the news about Kashket, I wonder if there’s any left in the kitty for Marshall to add to the excellent signings of Stockdale and McCarthy.

• not sure if scowen is injured but he is not involved tonight for QOR

• Pete Couhig is at the QPR game tonight ?

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    Pete Couhig is at the QPR game tonight ?

Who is Tom Hancock? Is he new here?

• edited January 2020

@HCblue said:

@Tom_Hancock said:
    Pete Couhig is at the QPR game tonight ?

Who is Tom Hancock? Is he new here?

New persona.
    Less stats obsessed!

• edited January 2020

Lol, I just didn't want everything to go through Chairboys Central - almost felt like I was promoting the site here, there and everywhere. Might get some editorial help in the near future anyway and then it just would have got confusing. Also, I'm not clever enough to come up with a cool forum alter ego.

(Nothing more than a coincidence that he is at Loftus Road)

• I bet Gareth got him some freebies.

• Scowen was very much a holding midfielder and we have two very able one's in Curtis and Gape. Surely Ainsworth wont do a Lambert, when he signed Lennon and played 3 holding midfielders.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Scowen was very much a holding midfielder and we have two very able one's in Curtis and Gape. Surely Ainsworth wont do a Lambert, when he signed Lennon and played 3 holding midfielders.

Lennon was so immobile, we had to have two players round him.

But why not, we already play a system and position in Bloomfield no one else in the league does.
    A sort of defensive advanced midfielder, who doesn't create, score, or play make.

It was working in the first half of the season, but it's a very odd position.

• Marshall signs for Northampton!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Scowen was very much a holding midfielder and we have two very able one's in Curtis and Gape. Surely Ainsworth wont do a Lambert, when he signed Lennon and played 3 holding midfielders.

Towards the end of his Wycombe career he'd become more of a box to box player. I remember one of his last games v Southend when he was absolutely magnificent and dominated the game. Think he scored that day as well

• @chairboyscentral Gary Madine signed for Blackpool. > @Wanderers82 said:

Marshall signs for Northampton!

Thinking about it: did we really need him to replace Scotty? I think Wheeler is now the primary choice and Smyth will provide backup for him and Parker as Backup for Fred.

• Sorry @thedieharder Can't agree that Parker makes an adequate replacement for Fred. Every time I have seen Parker out wide left, I have been distinctly unimpressed. The two recent games down the middle IMHO have seen a marked improvement. I can't see that Marshall would have improved the squad any. NBTWAG and Smyth would be my preference wide left & the money better used elsewhere.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Marshall signs for Northampton!

According to Gillingham fans on another forum we should be happy as he's not very good and was a waste of a wage.

• FFS scowen has gone to Sunderland!!!

• FFS I’M SO ANGRY, WTF... wait, what’s the problem here?

• edited January 2020

"Potential debutS"

Unless they're referring to Blackpool's new arrivals, have we signed someone else? ?

• also lawn bowls on the roof of the Frank Adams stand. Something for everyone.

• Don't forget the dry ski slope on the upper car park.

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    "Potential debutS"

Unless they're referring to Blackpool's new arrivals, have we signed someone else? ?

Potential debuts is certainly an intriguing line, that would be bizarre to say if it's the opposition.

Although Stockwell is a debut this time around. But it does say "debuts", plural!

• @Malone said:
    Although Stockwell is a debut this time around. But it does say "debuts", plural!

'Gareth Ainsworth could also hand debuts to Brixton and Vauxhall'

• @Tom_Hancock said:

@Malone said:

'Gareth Ainsworth could also hand debuts to Brixton and Vauxhall'

On reading it, it's clearly the FOUR potential Blackpool debutants!

We can't be too greedy, we've surely set a record for transfers in a season this year.
    One for a spare hour for you ;)

• Packed programme. No wonder the club cancelled our mixed martial arts demonstration @micra