Skip to content

Expectations

13»

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    I blame them Yankees

Oh very clever! I may have thumbs downed it when I wanted to thumbs up it though.

• @Manboobs said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I blame them Yankees

Oh very clever! I may have thumbs downed it when I wanted to thumbs up it though.

Its all attention @Manboobs either way

• Thumbing up is tricky. People often hit the wrong icon in response to my comments.
    Just watch.

• Not sure why alot on here are so easy to make us look like a lucky small club lucky to be in the top 6 look at Bournemouth in the premiership with similar support and ground to ours if they an do that why can't plucky little Wycombe be in the championship.

• edited January 2020

This idea that Bournemouth's rise is some sort of amazing underdog story is a myth. They spent £1 million more than any other club the season they got promoted from League One and lost over £15 million. The two clubs cannot be compared. https://www.cityam.com/how-bournemouths-promotion-push-was-funded-russian-millionaire/

• @micra said:
    Thumbing up is tricky. People often hit the wrong icon in response to my comments.
    Just watch.

See.

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    This idea that Bournemouth's rise is some sort of amazing underdog story is a myth. They spent £1 million more than any other club the season they got promoted from League One and lost over £15 million. The two clubs cannot be compared. https://www.cityam.com/how-bournemouths-promotion-push-was-funded-russian-millionaire/

Trevor makes his first positive post amongst 100s of ultra negative ones and you answer like that!

Bournemouth are still a piddly fish in the premier league pool.

• @trevor’s point is based on ignorance of the respective circumstances. And he thinks the Premier League is the Premiership (which is for egg chasers).

• What's your highest minus for a post @micra
    -8 on this page! Wow.

• @trevor said:
    Not sure why alot on here are so easy to make us look like a lucky small club lucky to be in the top 6 look at Bournemouth in the premiership with similar support and ground to ours if they an do that why can't plucky little Wycombe be in the championship.

Trevor Alot

• @trevor said:
    Not sure why alot on here are so easy to make us look like a lucky small club lucky to be in the top 6 look at Bournemouth in the premiership with similar support and ground to ours if they an do that why can't plucky little Wycombe be in the championship.

Simple answer, money. ?

• @Malone said:
    What's your highest minus for a post @micra
    -8 on this page! Wow.

Just pushed it to -10 for fun. It felt like a seminal moment.

• @micra said:
    @trevor’s point is based on ignorance of the respective circumstances. And he thinks the Premier League is the Premiership (which is for egg chasers).

I make it minus 24 cumulatively on this page (including three from me, @Wendoverman style). Certainly exceeded MY expectations.

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:
    -8 on this page! Wow.

Thanks @Shev ! Retribution for my failure to vote for your Wycombe ditty, perhaps.

• @micra said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:
    -8 on this page! Wow.

Thanks @Shev ! Retribution for my failure to vote for your Wycombe ditty, perhaps.

I've always been a fan of yours, @micra. Downvoting is the new upvoting!

I've also made my peace with others hearing 'Mr Blobby' when I hear 'Hey Jude'...

• Kind of you @Shev. Have just returned to the room after a short spell of self-imposed exile. On a thumbs per thread basis I seem to be winning hands down. A cumulative total unlikely to be exceeded in my lifetime.

• @Trouser_McTrouserson said:
    The answers can all be found in the novel you allude to..

Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.

There was a long hard time when I kept far from me the remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was quite ignorant of its worth.

I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.

That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Wtf????

Exactly my reaction @Ozzie_the_Relaxed ! Ideally I would like to respond as “Trouser_McTrousersoff” but can’t be arsed. After several readings I kinda got the gist of what he/she was quoting but it was frustrating not to know who he/she was responding to, about what exactly and the title of the novel alluded to. Oh for an input from @LX1 !

In terms of this thread generally, my own reaction is not so much one of disappointment that the likes of @glasshalfempty invariably focus on the negative aspects of any given situation (is he the guy who provoked such anger from Andrew Howard at a meeting long ago?) but rather that they seem to delight in being so joylessly negative (or realistic as I suppose they would put it).

Most of us delight in (and comment on) the ups and downs etc of the football itself but we rarely hear from @glasshalfempty on that fairly relevant topic.

• @micra Did the additional clue provided in the response by @peterparrotface about the bloke being from Pompey not help with identifying the source of the quotes, all of which come from a novel by a famous Portsmouth born author that just happens to have the title of this thread as part of its title?

• What the dickens are you on about @Uncle_T. This isn't about the tale of two cities my mutual friend, it really is a bleak house.

• I must admit I didn't have great expectations about this season but despite having some hard times over the festive period the pitch was never frozen deep although some matches seemed like the battle of life though.......

• My ignorance knows no bounds. In my youth I could never cope with Dickens. The works of Monica, his great, great granddaughter, might have been more palatable.

@mooneyman & @Ozzie_the_Relaxed: shame on you both. You seem to have pretty well exhausted the supply of Dickensian puns. That will please some but I’ll not count me chickens.

• All this book learnin' is making my brain hurt.