Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• @mooneyman said:
    Would VAR have overturned the ref's decision though Eric?

Don't care

• Sadly I do not think VAR would have overturned the penalty or the card. Have we appealed against the red card?

• Peterborough turning over league leaders Rotherham 2-0 after 30mins.

Make no mistake, Peterborough are a quality outfit when on song.

• @Malone said:
    Peterborough turning over league leaders Rotherham 2-0 after 30mins.

18 more without reply and we go top!

• @Tom_Hancock said:

@Malone said:
    Peterborough turning over league leaders Rotherham 2-0 after 30mins.

18 more without reply and we go top!

Settle for one more (although it's now 2-1), Ipswich not winning, Burton losing at home to Accy and a draw Rovers v Fleetwood.

That'd be a good day's work.

• Ipswich beating Lincoln 1-0 so we could be 3rd.

• Some consolation in Rotherham losing and Coventry and Oxford both having unwanted cup replays.

• Rotherham play Ipswich on Tuesday, so we'll be back in the top two with a win.

• I’m not exactly sure that a home FA Cup 4th round replay against a well-supported Premier League team would fit my definition of “unwanted” if I was an Oxford fan @MindlessDrugHoover. But I must admit to seeing theirs and Coventry’s results as a potentially welcoming distraction from their League 1 attentions.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Some consolation in Rotherham losing and Coventry and Oxford both having unwanted cup replays.

I’d love to be playing Newcastle United at home in the fourth round of the cup.

• Granted the money will be welcome but they already have their two top scorers out injured and any extra games can only add to fitness and injury pressure.

• Blimey.

• @bookertease said:
    I’m not exactly sure that a home FA Cup 4th round replay against a well-supported Premier League team would fit my definition of “unwanted” if I was an Oxford fan @MindlessDrugHoover. But I must admit to seeing theirs and Coventry’s results as a potentially welcoming distraction from their League 1 attentions.

Portsmouth going straight through into the next round is a good help too.

Having 3 significant rivals having other areas to distract them is a big help to us.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Granted the money will be welcome but they already have their two top scorers out injured and any extra games can only add to fitness and injury pressure.

Wow. Isn't it this type of night you want as a football supporter. Forget everything you are using as gauges. It's about the memories. Simple as

• Have to admit, I'd love us to still be in the Cup. Think of what Tranmere have to look forward to tomorrow! I actually think a cup run would have been a welcome distraction for us amongst a very tough run of league games. The extra finance would've been more than useful also.

• We don’t appear to have appealed Phillips’ red card? Which must mean that we have reviewed it and believe the ref was correct in his interpretation of the laws? Harsh but a ‘push’ to deny a goal scoring opportunity is a straight red under the laws.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    We don’t appear to have appealed Phillips’ red card? Which must mean that we have reviewed it and believe the ref was correct in his interpretation of the laws? Harsh but a ‘push’ to deny a goal scoring opportunity is a straight red under the laws.

Probably decided it's more fuss than it's worth.
    He wouldn't play next game anyway

• Good point. If Darius comes back in on Tuesday then sido can cover from the bench...I fancy a win on Tuesday.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    We don’t appear to have appealed Phillips’ red card? Which must mean that we have reviewed it and believe the ref was correct in his interpretation of the laws? Harsh but a ‘push’ to deny a goal scoring opportunity is a straight red under the laws.

It may be that after reviewing the footage, they decided that the chances of success were limited and not worth the extra 1 game ban if we failed?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Granted the money will be welcome but they already have their two top scorers out injured and any extra games can only add to fitness and injury pressure.

Wow. Isn't it this type of night you want as a football supporter. Forget everything you are using as gauges. It's about the memories. Simple as

I think you're misreading my point. I'd love to be still in the cup and looking forward to playing Man U but we aren't, we lost to Tranmere so the league is all we have this year and anything that distracts or tires out our competition seems welcome.

• Well I think we would have given a better account of ourselves than Tranmere. United are 5-0 up at half-time. Conceding to Jesse Lingard and Phil Jones is just embarrassing...

• The earlier Man City-Fulham game felt a bit like an echo of our game at Posh.

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    Well I think we would have given a better account of ourselves than Tranmere. United are 5-0 up at half-time. Conceding to Jesse Lingard and Phil Jones is just embarrassing...

Not for league 1 players it isn't!

We might have got more of a battering as United would actually be able to play on 100% of our pitch, rather than 80% of Tranmere's one.

Shocking pitch. There's a whole flank swathed in sand for goodness sake.

• edited January 2020

I mean, Jones hasn't scored for six years and Lingard's record for a supposed attacking midfielder is, um, not the best...

Nah, to be fair, we were on the end of that thrashing by Preston the other season.

• Remember, Tranmere played 120 minutes on that ploughed field on Thursday. We would have done no better in those circumstances.

• Either of them would be the best player in our squad.

• edited January 2020

@Chris said:
    Either of them would be the best player in our squad.

I'm not sure Jones would be, but they're a mark of how bad United are these days, and Jones always has a comedy moment up his sleeve.

• edited January 2020

@Tom_Hancock said:
    I mean, Jones hasn't scored for six years and Lingard's record for a supposed attacking midfielder is, um, not the best...

Nah, to be fair, we were on the end of that thrashing by Preston the other season.

In fairness, Jones is a defender, and Lingard would score tonnes in league 1.
    Difference in quality today, even with a United team without arguably their best 3 players/performers this year was shockingly high. Especially on that joke of a pitch.

• I’m not sure Jones would be the best player in his side if he was playing a game of one v one.

• Your 80% seems generous @Malone.