Skip to content

Comments

• He won't want to warm the bench either.

• Seems like an odd signing - we can get an emergency loan GK in should we need to. I have always enjoyed the jeopardy of not having a GK on the bench

• If true seems like a statement on Allsop for me.

Strange move but would be an upgrade if it happens. He would have to play and I'd guess Allsop might be playing elsewhere

• Wise move from Gaz putting together a Championship level defence ahead of next season

• excellent news if true...

• The 500 Club is still open if any fan wishes to contribute to the playing budget https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/fans/500-club/

• If our January business is an indication of the club's ambition for the second half of the season we can very encouraged.

• Would be an exceptional signing and you'd think straight into the first choice XI

• After Rockys recent run of errors it makes sense with Yates out as well.

• Yep - it wouldn't be a strange move, it'd be a superb upgrade.

As harsh as it is to say, when we had both keepers out last year, we were spoilt with the quality of the loanees.

• @Malone said:
    Yep - it wouldn't be a strange move, it'd be a superb upgrade.

As harsh as it is to say, when we had both keepers out last year, we were spoilt with the quality of the loanees.

Well Stephen Henderson went on to sign for Palace as a back-up.

• edited January 2020

Stockdale (if confirmed!) and McCarthy certainly is a decent effort.

One final piece of magic in the forward positions? Probably too greedy.

Bit of managing of Allsopp to be done, but the greater good has to be the big picture.

• @AlanCecil said:
    The 500 Club is still open if any fan wishes to contribute to the playing budget https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/fans/500-club/

I'm sure it doesn't, but that post coming in the midst of this thread seems to have an air of panic about it!

• @eric_plant said:

@AlanCecil said:
    The 500 Club is still open if any fan wishes to contribute to the playing budget https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/fans/500-club/

I'm sure it doesn't, but that post coming in the midst of this thread seems to have an air of panic about it!

No panic, I can assure you. Was just a reminder given that i was asked if the 500 Club was still going and we had already had a sign up this month.

• I'm not blaming Allsop for most or all but we've shipped a load of goals so a new keeper doesn't seem unreasonable if available. How many forwards and defenders have we had that have been alright or variable but not got a look in whilst he plays every week regardless.
    Also the bigger clubs don't want to get caught short so sign up extras they don't need and need them to go out every so often to actually play.

• Other positions don't feel as "harsh" when you bring a replacement in, as likely they can still get in elsewhere on the pitch, or as sub, or when the first choice is rested.
    But keeper is very different.

However, Stockdale was quality on loan for us, so if he's in that mode on loan, it's a superb capture.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    ...we've shipped a load of goals...

Recently, yes, whilst our defence has been disrupted by injury and dismissal, but overall? So far in the league this season we have conceded an average of 1.15 goals per match. As a random but possibly relevant comparison, that's a lower ratio than the 1.3 goals per match that we conceded during the promotion season in 2017/18.

• that's an excellent signing

• Looking back over the last few games, Allsop has been to blame for a few goals, just not ones which have been game-changing, so the errors have gone under the radar a bit. He has had a good season in general, despite having little to do behind our imperious defence at times, but there's no denying Stockdale is a significant upgrade. He's got to walk straight into the team for Tuesday night.

• As much as some of us would like us to become more free flowing and attacking I think Ainsworth believes we'd get carved apart by the better teams and we have anyway in the last few weeks for various reasons. If you want to be tight with a chance of nicking a set piece you need to keep the ball out even if you lose a player to injury, rest or a dodgy red card.
    There's no way we are paying his full wages or even a decent chunk. Let them compete and we'll see.

• I think his Birmingham contract is up in the summer so wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a permanent switch, in which case signing him now makes sense if availableas he is an upgrade. When he chose to sign for Birmingham over Brighton 2.5 years ago it was based on his daughters schooling, so he is wanting to be settled.

Still, we have two very decent keepers for the rest of the season... assuming Allsop is staying.

• @WildWestFC said:
    I think his Birmingham contract is up in the summer so wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a permanent switch, in which case signing him now makes sense if availableas he is an upgrade. When he chose to sign for Birmingham over Brighton 2.5 years ago it was based on his daughters schooling, so he is wanting to be settled.

Still, we have two very decent keepers for the rest of the season... assuming Allsop is staying.

I think a reported 30k a week may have helped swing it too

• Rock, Stock and Vegan flaffels
    Happy Days

• edited January 2020

Stockdale's return gives yet another example of a player who has wanted to come back, such is the atmosphere Gaz has fostered
    @perfidious_albion

• Wow! That seems a great signing, based just on watching him last season.

I really feel for Allsop, though, who has done noble service this season and a thankless one in recent weeks. I feel it proper to say that if we carry on playing like we have recently, it won't matter a great deal to our points tally who is between the sticks.

• PS. After seeing reference to it on his Wiki page, shared:

a) for novelty value
    b) because I rate him and know this not to be the norm, and
    c) because the freak nature of it means he was not really at fault:

• edited January 2020
  • That's a kick in the teeth to allsopp......

• I like the way he talks about "Rocky" and saying he has the shirt, and if he plays well he himself won't get in.

Right attitude, rather than presuming he'll cruise in.