Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• After all that drooling over how incredible our front 3 options seemed, it was inevitable we'd go through a long spell of totally not looking at all threatening.

• edited January 2020

We've not looked threatening from open play for most of the season - last time we scored 2+ from open play was Rochdale away in September - but we didn't need to when the defence was so strong. If we can regain that defensive solidity and organisation - which we came closer to on Saturday - and get Fred back and firing, I think we can recover a bit. We're not equipped to play a brand of football which results in a lot of high-quality chances being created, but we've done ridiculously well despite that.

• I know it was great news getting McCarthy back but could that money been better used on a forward who might score goals. I know we don’t score many from open play but a different type of centre forward could benefit from the excellent wingers we have.

• edited January 2020

The biggest hole we had was at right back, and we also needed cover at centre back. Not only does Jason McCarthy fit both of those, he’s someone who is already familiar with his ‘new’ teammates and the way we play. And he is one of the most effective players now in the squad. I don’t see how the money paying his wages could possibly have been better spent.

• What Chris said.

• Hear, hear to Chris’s post.

• I'd love to see McCarthy in midfield if possible, but then I say the same about Trent Alexander-Arnold and any kind of creative full-back with a bit of pace.

• Don’t disagree with comments about McCarthy but who is going to score goals for us. Fred will help when fit but don’t see where many goals are going to come from. A solid defence is important but we need goals. Cannot just rely on the defence.

• Akinfenwa, Smyth, Wheeler, Samuel, Kashket(?), Jacobson, Onyedinma, Parker.

• We have plenty of strikers...not conceding is the key...defences win championships

• History backs up Forest Blue’s assertion that the best teams are usually those with the best defence.

• @Chris - a list of strikers plus one defender. !!! Who out of them will get 15-20 goals a season, Who will even get 10? Defence is important I’m not questioning that but someone who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis is equally crucial to us.

• You asked who will score our goals, I told you.

Most seasons don’t have a 20 goal a season striker, that’s fine.

Jacobson and Akinfenwa will score 10 each this season.

• @davecz said:
    @Chris - a list of strikers plus one defender. !!! Who out of them will get 15-20 goals a season, Who will even get 10? Defence is important I’m not questioning that but someone who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis is equally crucial to us.

Quite the one issue guy aren't you? We have plenty of good options up front and are equal top of the league.
    Who is this striker you are asking for anyway? Where is he and why don't his current club need him?

• Always the same isn't it: spread the goals around and "we need a 20 goal striker". Get a striker who bags most of the goals and "we're too reliant on one man."

• edited January 2020

Who's going to create the chances for a 20-goal striker? That's the bigger problem and not one with an instant fix. We'd need Sergio Agüero if we were to really benefit from the kind of scraps we create.

• Clearly Ainsworth is not totally satisfied with our striking options if rumours are to be believed. Supposedly we are looking at Mark Marshall from Gillingham.

• @davecz said:
    Clearly Ainsworth is not totally satisfied with our striking options if rumours are to be believed. Supposedly we are looking at Mark Marshall from Gillingham.

20 goal a season man?

• Mark Marshall isn't a striker.

• We already have Kashket in the building for finishing.
    (ban aside!)

It's totally the chances creation that's our problem.

We're built for containment and working hard.
    How many other teams play a regular 3 centre mids without an ounce of flair between them? And that's not a criticism of any of the three, they're just not creators.

• I totally agree, we have more than enough forwards at the club, creating more/better chances for them would mean more goals

• @davecz said:
    Clearly Ainsworth is not totally satisfied with our striking options if rumours are to be believed. Supposedly we are looking at Mark Marshall from Gillingham.

I don't think a cumulative 15 goals in 8 years is what we need!

• He is quite a creative player, though, and isn't staying on at Gillingham.

• @davecz despite not knowing where the goals are coming from and accepting the team is lacking defensively, the players we have have done alright so far, no?

• As I have said all along In many other posts even if we finish mid table , we have done fantastically well. Being second is beyond our wildest dreams . All I ‘m saying is bearing in mind our current position and if finances allow, it would be good if we could look at a forward on loan. We don’t look like scoring too many with our current set of forwards no matter what combination we use upfront. Clearly my posts have wound a few people up. Not my intention. All I’m saying is that in an ideal world a new forward would be an asset.

• Pretty sure Phil and Matt said that Fred had been on the pitch at the last few games prior to the full squad warm up. I guess that means he is up to light training but not contact, sprints etc.

• I was too busy clamouring to get wound up @davecz

• @davecz said:
    As I have said all along In many other posts even if we finish mid table , we have done fantastically well. Being second is beyond our wildest dreams . All I ‘m saying is bearing in mind our current position and if finances allow, it would be good if we could look at a forward on loan. We don’t look like scoring too many with our current set of forwards no matter what combination we use upfront. Clearly my posts have wound a few people up. Not my intention. All I’m saying is that in an ideal world a new forward would be an asset.

I just wish I'd been given a pound everytime you said the same thing

• edited January 2020

Finishing 8-10th would of course have been marvellous at the start of the season. That is unarguable.

But you wouldn't be human if you weren't a bit disappointed after such an absolutely superb run up to the Oxford game!
    We seemed to be 6-7 points clear of 2nd for ages, almost half the way through the season!