Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    What do we still need? Or would people be satisfied if McCarthy is our only signing of this window?

Definitely.

• edited January 2020

@peterparrotface I'm inclined to think the same. Even if promotion was a strong possibility, we don't have the financial resources to enable us to push the boat out with a raft of new signings (no pun intended). I'd say maybe another more senior centre-back if we could get one on loan/on a free, but I don't think we'd need them enough to make it worth it. Hopefully come summer, we're in a position to attack the window a bit more. Fred will be like a new signing anyway!

• Really hopeful JJ was just a locking up, preventative job that will see him back next game.
    Yates we can get away with, as can we bring an emergency keeper in if Allsop gets crocked?

Fred, I think any change out of the rest of the season is a plus.

• I didn't catch the beginning of the conversation, but I heard Phil on commentary talking about someone warming up ahead of games and Matt Cecil mentioning the need to get their return absolutely spot on - that's probably Fred?

• As for a 'keeper on loan, David Stockdale is still at Birmingham and doesn't get in the squad. Maybe he's not that concerned about regular football and wouldn't say no to coming back here as a back-up? Must be others like him and his sort of age (34) who are in the same situation.

What do we still need? Or would people be satisfied if McCarthy is our only signing of this window?

Probably need to stop spending money to be honest

• Not sure why he’d want to swap not playing for Birmingham with not playing for Wycombe, or why we’d want to pay his wages.

• not playing for Wycombe!

"LOL"

• Who wouldn't want to not play for Wycombe?!

• @eric_plant taking at face value the suggestion that we sign him as a back-up.

• @eric_plant said:
    Probably need to stop spending money to be honest

We're way beyond that point aren't we?

• Ah I see. That is obviously a ludicrous suggestion

• It was a bit of a long shot tbh. What's Barry Richardson up to these days?

• it is, but my point is that if he did come to Wycombe he'd clearly get in the team

• Ah, sorry, miles away here.

• Except for a 20 goal a season striker it's hard to think of anywhere that is worth putting a lot of money into at this stage with regard to the squad.

As for a 'keeper on loan, David Stockdale is still at Birmingham and doesn't get in the squad. Maybe he's not that concerned about regular football and wouldn't say no to coming back here as a back-up? Must be others like him and his sort of age (34) who are in the same situation.

Backup?!
    He's far superior to Allsopp, as we saw last season!

He's on a reported 30k a week as well.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Except for a 20 goal a season striker it's hard to think of anywhere that is worth putting a lot of money into at this stage with regard to the squad.

I do love it when fans clamour for one of these, as if it's as easy as going on championship manager and doing a filter.

• Are you accusing me of clamouring @Malone ?

• Bristol R sign Jamal Blackman , that is a hell of a signing

• @Wanderers82 said:
    Bristol R sign Jamal Blackman , that is a hell of a signing

Certainly is!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Are you accusing me of clamouring @Malone ?

It's one of the chief attributes of your online MO ;)

• @chairboyscentral Yes, I heard Phil on commentary saying he'd seen Fred warming up on the pitch during the last couple of games. So hopefully not far off a return

As for new signings, maybe some defensive cover, but I'm happy with what we've got. Bringing McCarthy back was more than I realistically hoped for.

• Clearly having Fred back will be a massive lift and having Grimmer fit will give us more defensive options alongside the excellent signing of McCarthy. But we still need more up options up front. We don’t look like scoring . Need someone to score some goals.

• Fred will score goals and I think we can try Smyth in a more central role, but I can't see us bringing anyone else in.

• Fred is good but don’t see him scoring more than a few. Smyth too lightweight to play centrally and again will not score enough. Not sure we have the funding but if we do have any flexibility upfront needs to be sorted.

• edited January 2020

Smyth wouldn't work as the striker in a three, but he could do a job off Bayo - the Kashket role. Our chance creation is a bigger issue than who's on the end of the chances, and that would take a change of style to sort out, which would take a few signings. Maybe there'll be some fruit in the Bayo-Parker partnership if we decide to keep going with it.

• If only football was so simple you just buy a 20 goal striker and sit back and watch.

In reality how many 20 goal strikers were there last season?

• @davecz said:
    Fred is good but don’t see him scoring more than a few. Smyth too lightweight to play centrally and again will not score enough. Not sure we have the funding but if we do have any flexibility upfront needs to be sorted.

Fred was already up to 4 with only a few appearances.
    He'd be our top scorer with out any doubt if he hadn't missed 3months or so

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    If only football was so simple you just buy a 20 goal striker and sit back and watch.

In reality how many 20 goal strikers were there last season?

It's internet fan 101.
    Along with saying that we should "keep it tight" and going through the whole team after a defeat pointing out how rubbish they all are.