Skip to content

Peterborough chairman says he'll step down if they don't make play-offs

Comments

• Wow.
    Intended as a confidence booster but could well put him in pure "awks".

• I suppose he did not say which year...or which division.

In all seriousness, Peterborough seem to be a club that have a very definite baseline of L1 top half. Anything above that is an achievement (such as their time spent in 2nd tier), while dropping to L2 seems very unlikely.

• Pin this on dressing room wall before the game on Tuesday!

• @Shev said:

I suppose he did not say which year...or which division.

He said "this year". So there's no wriggle room.

• edited January 2020

Seeing that their record over the last five games is the same as ours before yesterday leads me to have Tuesday down as a home banker.

• They've got American investors in the background too, I wouldn't be surprised if this is publicity seeking and he's due to take a step back anyway. Their model has always been very different to us investing hugely in lower and non league prospects and then getting good fees for the better ones. Gives them lots of goals and entertainment but probably a bit of a false sense of how good they are and lack of team consistency as the better players don't stay long. Bit of an odd division this year, all the top teams having had wobbles for a few weeks, stay in contention and you never know what might happen.

• Considering that at the time they looked the best team we’d played, I am really surprised at their recent slump. 9 points from their last 10 games I think.

As @HCblue said: guaranteed home banker

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Their model has always been very different to us investing hugely in lower and non league prospects and then getting good fees for the better ones.

They value Ivan Toney at £11 million. He's clearly good enough for the Championship, but would any club in that division shell out that much?

• @drcongo said:
    Derby.

Ha, maybe they can get 32Red to fund that as well.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Their model has always been very different to us investing hugely in lower and non league prospects and then getting good fees for the better ones.

They value Ivan Toney at £11 million. He's clearly good enough for the Championship, but would any club in that division shell out that much?

How much did he go for to Newcastle a few years back? Surely nowhere near, and back then he had more potential.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:

How much did he go for to Newcastle a few years back? Surely nowhere near, and back then he had more potential.

It was only six figures.

• Always had MacAnthony down as a bit of a self-publicist. A bit like Scally at Gillingham, although perhaps not so much recently with him.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:

It was only six figures.

So they're playing absolute ludicrous games asking that fee!

• edited January 2020

They're having a laugh charging 28 quid a ticket as well - and I bet they won't allow it to be shown on iFollow in the UK.

• That's only the equivalent of 4 Tom Kerridge pies though @chairboyscentral!

They're having a laugh charging 28 quid a ticket as well - and I bet they won't allow it to be shown on iFollow in the UK.

Is this confirmed? I just presumed it'd be on ifollow.

Do teams get the final say? If so why did Accrington chairman moan about the concept if he could just block it?!

• edited January 2020

@Malone I asked Wycombe and they said it's at the home club's discretion, but I still haven't seen that a decision's been made.

• Oh wait, just checked and it's giving me the option to buy a video pass.

• Thank goodness for that. I'd taken that for granted without even thinking about it!

@Malone I asked Wycombe and they said it's at the home club's discretion, but I still haven't seen that a decision's been made.

This is interesting then, if the home side can stop it, WHY then did that Accy owner make such a continued rant about how unfair It all is to them.
    Just block it. Simple as!

• I'd be interested to see if there's been a marked attendance drop since it came in, and how much any loss of revenue is balanced out by the gain from people buying passes for away games (80% goes to your club or have I got that wrong?).

• Watching on iFollow's got to be better for the planet though.?

• I'm not sure calling someone a dickhead is a great move for a chairman, but what do I know?

• All a bit tinpot isn't it.

• Whose replacing him? Carl Breakspear!