Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Currently sitting at work. Surrounded by spurs, arsenal, wolves and Manchester united fans and they were all shocked when they saw the decision on the highlights.

• Each of our three thrashings have featured bizarre penalty concessions as the first or second goal. We might have lost all three anyway, but it would be nice to have those back!

• I hope the one thing that comes out of last night’s penalty decision is that opposition fans (and sometimes our own fans) think twice before they accuse Wycombe’s players of persistent cheating.
    We have now had players sent off at Oxford and Peterborough because players on the opposing team clearly conned the referee.
    We aren’t angels but we’re no different to any other team in that respect.

• Nope, sorry, can't agree with that at all. Other teams can do what they want, if I see any of our players cheating I'm going to criticise them for it.

• It's very naive defending, he could have been far more subtle than just blatantly pushing the guy. I don't think that we can have to many complaints with it, poor defending all round.

• 1/10 - must try harder

• Didn't Stewart or Sido so exactly the same a few matches ago...or am I dreaming?

• Stewart, against Sunderland, took their striker out as he was attempting to charge down a backpass and was rightly penalised

So, no not exactly the same

• Bayo's sending off at Oxford was completely deserved wasn't it? At least the second yellow anyway.

• @eric_plant said:
    1/10 - must try harder

Letting the guy run straight between the two centre halves and not spotting the danger is what caused the whole situation. Blame the ref all you like but it's poor defending and we paid the highest price for it.

• Worse refereeing than it is defending.

• @Chris said:
    Worse refereeing than it is defending.

If that's the case then we will appeal it then won't we ?? We won't because he's clearly pushed him in the back and clearly denied a goalscoring opportunity and we got what we deserved I'm afraid.

• @eric_plant said:
    Nope, sorry, can't agree with that at all. Other teams can do what they want, if I see any of our players cheating I'm going to criticise them for it.

So, are you saying that you’d criticise our players for cheating but wouldn’t criticise players from other teams for doing the same thing?

• Seems like he’d have a few more words to say in private.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Bayo's sending off at Oxford was completely deserved wasn't it? At least the second yellow anyway.

That's the one I'm thinking of...two handed push and you think...why did you do that?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    Nope, sorry, can't agree with that at all. Other teams can do what they want, if I see any of our players cheating I'm going to criticise them for it.

So, are you saying that you’d criticise our players for cheating but wouldn’t criticise players from other teams for doing the same thing?

Nope, I'm saying that players from other teams cheating is in no way whatsoever any sort of justification for our own players cheating

It's precisely because I want to call out opposition players for such behaviour that I demand that highest standards from our own, otherwise it looks hypocritical. Like the bloke near me on the terrace on Saturday who was spitting feathers when he thought the Rochdale keeper was wasting time. I told him we can't really complain about that.

• 'Like the bloke near me on the terrace on Saturday who was spitting feathers when he thought the Rochdale keeper was wasting time. I told him we can't really complain about that.'

I bet he laughed at that @eric_plant

• His mate smiled, he was too busy being angry

• Nope, I'm saying that players from other teams cheating is in no way whatsoever any sort of justification for our own players cheating

It's precisely because I want to call out opposition players for such behaviour that I demand that highest standards from our own, otherwise it looks hypocritical. Like the bloke near me on the terrace on Saturday who was spitting feathers when he thought the Rochdale keeper was wasting time. I told him we can't really complain about that.

Fair enough Eric, but I’m afraid you’re never going to eradicate the problem. Regarding Bayo’s red card, he admitted that he shouldn’t have reacted the way he did but the way certain Oxford players conspired to get him sent off was equally poor.

• @Chris said:
    Seems like he’d have a few more words to say in private.

He certainly made for the ref at half time on the ifollow coverage!

• You can eradicate it within your own club, irrespective of whether you can eradicate it in the game as a whole.

Completely agree re: Mousinho, it was pathetic behaviour which we've come to expect from him. He's mediocre at best and he struts about like he's Roy Keane in his prime. Looking forward to him getting his comeuppance, hopefully at the home game.

Bayo, of course remains an absolute legend and is rightly adored by all Wycombe fans

• I'm totally with @eric_plant here - too many fans only climb up to the moral high ground when their own club is victimized. Football is a sport that is based upon everyone constantly trying to con the referee...and then we are all outraged when the referee gets conned, if it is our team on the receiving end.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Gareth was very...restrained.

I think that was a very good interview for what it was.

He puts aside the dubious decision and focuses on what was within our control, and that there’s weaknesses that need to be fixed.

Honest and simple.

• Agree...one decision did not lead to four goals conceded. We looked very good with ten men after we conceded and I fancied us to get something from the game. Then the second goal killed us just before half time.

• Finally got round to watching the 'highights' and have to say I had to rewind to see the push in the first place..what a nothing incident. I suppose a pen is the letter of the law but the red card was very harsh. Having said that - as others have noted - I'm not as convinced as Gaz that we could have secured a point even without the penalty. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards

• Can't really separate the two I'm afraid. If it's a foul it's a red card.

(it wasn't a foul)

• edited January 2020

Would VAR have overturned the ref's decision though Eric?

• Who knows what would happen under VAR but isn't that exactly the problem

• @Wendoverman said:
    Finally got round to watching the 'highights' and have to say I had to rewind to see the push in the first place..what a nothing incident. I suppose a pen is the letter of the law but the red card was very harsh. Having said that - as others have noted - I'm not as convinced as Gaz that we could have secured a point even without the penalty. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards

All we have to go on, is that we were competing pretty well until the pen.

Unlike say Oxford away, where we were getting a right going over before that early red.