Skip to content

L1 needs professional referees NOW

Simmering down after a strained 80mins watching the boys hang on after being crippled by one man in pink. He was conned and ruined the game with one poor decision. Perhaps instead of VAR the powers that be could push for better education for the men in the middle who can turn a game in an instant.

Gutted.

Comments

• @NorsQuarters Did you see the EFL's response in that fan survey (I think it was last year)? They said if clubs want professional officials, they have to fund them.

• Spoiler alert: professional referees also make terrible decisions from time to time

• They do, but not with the kind of frequency you see at our level.

• But the best refs would still be in the top leagues

• Are you arguing that an increased focus on training would not make refs better? Everyone makes mistakes but experienced professionals tend to make less and less harmful ones. The unprofessional official ruined the game with an epic error.

• Rubbish refs aren't helped by cheating players but the positioning of refs in recent Wycombe matvhes has been so bad they would be better off sat in the stand.

• @eric_plant said:
    But the best refs would still be in the top leagues

No doubt, but the rubbish ones would be a bit fitter and more focused and some people who couldn't balance reffing with a proper job might be able to be considered.

• It's the ones that smirk as they give decisions who really get me.

• Wasn't at the match last night but listened on IFollow. I thought the ref consulted with the linesman before making the decision to send off our man? If so that's 2 of them that managed the decision to, in some eyes, get it wrong?

• We can argue whether or not it was a foul. Lets say it was.
    Would a better remedy for the match and it’s spectators be to permit the ref to award a penalty goal and yellow card rather than penalty and red?

• That would reduce the incentive for a defender not to deliberately foul in the box in order to reduce the chance of a goal.

• @DevC said:
    How?

Presumably as the punishment is reduced so is the incentive not to transgress.

• I suspect these things are instinctive but if logical

Commit the foul it’s a goal
    Don’t commit the foul it’s probably a goal

Not sure I see the incentive to commit the foul.

• Oh I see, a penalty goal. Yes, that would be fine for me.

• I think we have a different understanding of Chris’s post Dev but to try and respond to your last post, I think the logical (I’m reminded of the Monty Python philosophy footballers sketch) decision a defender would face would be:

Commit the foul and it’s a pen and red (can’t assume a goal), or

Don’t commit the foul and it’s probably a goal.

Take away the possibility of a red and it is a different decision as its surely better to take the guy down and hope the keeper saves.

• I think the law is fine, if you deliberately foul someone to stop them scoring a goal then you deserve a red card

Penalties can be missed. As Lloyd says, take away the red card and a defender will commit the foul every time

• Anyone have any stats on Allsopp's record with penalties. Struggling to remember one he's saved (that Franchise one was a miss). Memories play tricks but seem to remember Nikki Bull being a particularly good penalty saver.

• Allsop always seems to go down really early, the striker normally just slots it in the other side of the goal.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Anyone have any stats on Allsopp's record with penalties. Struggling to remember one he's saved (that Franchise one was a miss). Memories play tricks but seem to remember Nikki Bull being a particularly good penalty saver.

Saved one at AFCW last season

• @DevC said:
    How?

Didn't Fred Dinenage present this?

• I thought I had been clear but as several people have misunderstood, plainly not.

The thought was - maybe change the rules to mimic rugby. If a defender commits a foul that denies a highly probably goal, award a goal and a yellow card (just like a penalty try in rugby). No penalty kick - a straight goal.

Anyway not the biggest issue in life.

before my time I think @mooneyman .......

oh and as a gentle aside, @eric_plant has there ever been a rule change you approved of at the time?

• Let’s stop making excuses. I was there. They were the better team. the pen and red had little bearing in the end. WE LOST. Let’s get over it and move on.
    Or maybe the “remoaners” on the forum would like the match replayed as they didn’t like the result.
    LOL

• Referees should be allowed to trouser the readies, especially if their trousers are pink

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't at the match last night but listened on IFollow. I thought the ref consulted with the linesman before making the decision to send off our man? If so that's 2 of them that managed the decision to, in some eyes, get it wrong?

There was a huge pause before the ref gave it. No idea if the linesman had flagged, as it was out of shot.
    But the red came fairly quickly after the award, so quickly, that the commentators totally missed it at first.
    I saw it, though I went pretty numb at the connotation that we would now certainly lose.

• @Proactive said:
    Let’s stop making excuses. I was there. They were the better team. the pen and red had little bearing in the end. WE LOST. Let’s get over it and move on.
    Or maybe the “remoaners” on the forum would like the match replayed as they didn’t like the result.
    LOL

The pen and red totally changed the game.
    It had a total bearing in the end.

Ps did you post as another username before "proactive"

• How can a 21st minute red card have little bearing on a game? Fucking Norah.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    How can a 21st minute red card have little bearing on a game? Fucking Norah.

A strange wind up.
    All Peterborough fans will know the scoreline monumentally flattered them, and they got away with one of those once a season bits of luck.

Gareth's comments on it will be interesting, if there any..

• @OxfordBlue said:

We’re you there?

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

A strange wind up.
    All Peterborough fans will know the scoreline monumentally flattered them, and they got away with one of those once a season bits of luck.

@Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

A strange wind up.

We’re you there?