Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t see Phillips play for Wycombe again.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Seen it again and that is a load of bollocks. I am absolutely fed up with these refs who make every game all about themselves.

He only sees it once and made the same choice as you on first watch.

• edited January 2020

@StrongestTeam said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Seen it again and that is a load of bollocks. I am absolutely fed up with these refs who make every game all about themselves.

He only sees it once and made the same choice as you on first watch.

This is true, but I am also not a ref.

• Ainsworth giving his robust opinion as they go down the tunnel

• Reversion to the mean, with a vengeance.

• Having seen the decision now on twitter, it's a complete nonsense

• edited January 2020
  • One of the all time most scandalous decisions. The pen was silly, but the red an absolute shocker.

Phillips is a total liability though, whether it's us tending to concede more when he's about, getting sent off, or having to be hauled off on 30, he can't start any more games barring emergencies now.

• Ref looked well placed and he’s seen Phillips push their striker (because he is badly placed)....soft as they come

• edited January 2020

• Once the ref calls it as a push then it has to be a red card

• @eric_plant said:
    Absolutely shocking decision

Breakspear has now sent off 12 players in 23 games he's even worse than D'Urso used to be, ggrrrrr!!

• I don't think I've ever been so angry about a refereeing decision.
    a) Philips didn't touch him
    b) I don't think he dived, he was just throwing himself toward the ball but missed
    c) Absolute dogshit

• @Chris said:
    It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t see Phillips play for Wycombe again.

Two games started. Less than an hour played in total. No injury. It'll be a great story for the grandkids if he makes the Premier League which, I guess, I hope he does.

• I feel so sorry for the poor people that made the trip in the freezing cold and had their evening ruined by that twat of a referee. Ainsworth must be so furious at the sending off....

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Once the ref calls it as a push then it has to be a red card

Yup.

• I can't work out what's going on at the back. Why not Mascoll on for JJ? This is all too much for a Tuesday night.

• Seems like it's only the Phillips is crap section of the Venn diagram are looking at the decision as a possible penalty.

Another awful referee. An awful decision.

• @Chris said:

I’ve thought that at least 3 times now. Sounds unfortunate but still can’t see how Sido can’t get ahead of him.

• @drcongo said:
    I don't think I've ever been so angry about a refereeing decision.
    b) I don't think he dived, he was just throwing himself toward the ball but missed
    c) Absolute dogshit

The only Wycombe decisions I can remember being more angered about were

1) Baird getting smashed by that Preston oaf, and not getting red carded
    2) The McSporran / Senda red card mix up at QPR where both ended up getting sent off.

Today is definitely near the top of the shock list though. Pen silly, red an absolute scandal.
    Ruined the game totally.

• @drcongo said:
    I don't think I've ever been so angry about a refereeing decision.
    c) Absolute dogshit

a) Not proven
    b) Possibly
    c) It's certainly not clear that any touch that may have taken place had any material effect

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Seems like it's only the Phillips is crap section of the Venn diagram are looking at the decision as a possible penalty.

Another awful referee. An awful decision.

It's at least arguable.

• I've watched the replay a few times now, he did gently push him, he would have scored otherwise.

• Phillips had made a could tackle on toney moments before.....

• @HCblue said:

@Chris said:

Two games started. Less than an hour played in total. No injury. It'll be a great story for the grandkids if he makes the Premier League which, I guess, I hope he does.

He won't make it there as a footballer!

• edited January 2020

I don't think Phillips is a bad player, more just that his inexperience shows - and that was amplified when he was having to play at RB.

• If that’s a penalty then there are multiple penalties that could be given at literally every corner.

• edited January 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    I don't think Phillips is a bad player, more just that his inexperience shows.

The inexperience is currently making him a bad player, I fear.

• I've watched it a few times, I can't see any push, if anything he slips and then as Phillips has his hand near him he's touching the shirt. You could say it's naive but it's god awful refereeing