Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Wonder if Pattison and Kashket have picked up injuries? Was impressed by Pattison when he came on against Sunderland.

Agree regarding a back up keeper - If Yates is not coming back soon, a loan move has to be on the cards.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    At least the diamond has the personnel to make it work this time. I think Phillips has been decent enough at CB; his issues came out of position at RB. Odd to see Charles on the bench, though, rather than not in the squad at all.

Mascoll being on the bench suggests to me that the 18 we have in the squad is all we have for this game - so might as well put Charles there, rather than have a gap.

• @bigred87 said:
    Would of thought sido would of come into RB and McCarthy at cb..... i think Phillips played in the reverse fixture in a back four that didn't have jj in either!!! Could be wrong

Yes, I'm surprised Phillips is ahead of Jombati for the cover centre back position.
    Both have looked pretty ropey at right back in recent times, but Jombati has had superb runs there in recent seasons.

But I suppose QPR would start asking why he's not getting a look in otherwise, and it's a good confidence booster to come back in so quickly after the Sunderland mess.

• edited January 2020

Peterborough only fielding 1 of the magic 4 that ripped us a new one at our ground.

Maddison as good as gone
    Eisa benched
    Boyd benched.

• Thompson basically marked Maddison out of the game didn't he?

• Shirt pull? Stupid.

• edited January 2020

• Phillip's is a liability .....he keeps making big mistakes, sorry but he is not good enough

• Never a penalty.

• Keep watching the replay, Philips doesn’t touch him.

• Penalty. Phillips red card for a moderate but, in the opinion of the ref, deliberate push on advancing player. 0-1, down to ten.

• I thought there was no double jeopardy if the penalty is awarded? Philips was totally asleep and had no choice really but to give the guy an arm in the back, although it is very soft.

• Oh dear, that's messed up the game plan. Although we could still win 2-1

• edited January 2020

Toney's a good player, mind. Every touch has been golden so far and the header to create the penalty was great. Apart from him. Peterborough don't seem that great. 11v11, I'd fancy this though we've been pretty average so far.

• @Glenactico said:
    I thought there was no double jeopardy if the penalty is awarded? Philips was totally asleep and had no choice really but to give the guy an arm in the back, although it is very soft.

Doesn't that only apply if you've made a genuine attempt to play the ball?

• More relevant, it’s only a red card if you’ve fouled their player.

• Far worse in every game more the fact nobody else around the two players and couldn’t be ignored.

• @Glenactico said:
    I thought there was no double jeopardy if the penalty is awarded? Philips was totally asleep and had no choice really but to give the guy an arm in the back, although it is very soft.

If you’ve tried to play the ball e.g. late tackle then it’s a yellow. For a push or shirt pull denying a goal scoring opportunity then it’s a red.

• @Chris said:
    More relevant, it’s only a red card if you’ve fouled their player.

Quite. If it's a foul, red is reasonable. Player went down super-easily, likely because the ball was beyond reach.

• Absolutely shocking decision

• @Chris said:
    More relevant, it’s only a red card if you’ve fouled their player.

If you gave fouls could for that every time you'd have a red every other week. Like this ref has.

• (and no, I wouldn't want VAR to reverse it before some smart arse pipes up)

• This ref likes a card

• Seen it again and that is a load of bollocks. I am absolutely fed up with these refs who make every game all about themselves.

• we have to stop making excuses ...it may not of been a red but why give the ref a chance to give a red....

• Sido is a better centre back than Phillips.
    Sido is a better full back than Phillips.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    we have to stop making excuses ...it may not of been a red but why give the ref a chance to give a red....

Indeed. Phillips was caught watching the ball and reacted far too late when he realised the attacker had run into the space behind him.