Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Massive game tonight if we can get a win, we can take control back of a top 2 spot and put the bad run behind us.
    Looking forward to a few pints and 3 points on the road tonight!

• Good luck to team and the travelling chairs. Bring back the points!

• Confirmed as live on iFollow in the UK

• Excellent.
    Traditionalists might not like it, but I think it's a superb facility.

Only been to 1 away this season unfortunately, but must have watched about 6-7 on ifollow this year. (couple of those Checkatrades too!)

• The Ipswich game was streamed free on SkyBet... Will this one, does anyone know?

• @Malone said:
    Excellent.
    Traditionalists might not like it, but I think it's a superb facility.

Only been to 1 away this season unfortunately, but must have watched about 6-7 on ifollow this year. (couple of those Checkatrades too!)

Has anyone ever been negative about ifollow?

I don't remember if they have

• Not in it's actual form, plenty of worry about 3pm kick offs being shown

• edited January 2020

I think it's only a matter of time before 3pm Premier League kick-offs are shown, but it would obviously be a major worry if that extended to our level.

• I'm not totally against an NFL style blackout system allowing some premier league games to be shown, but it would be disastrous if 3pm games were generally allowed to be broadcast.

• I’m amazed that Posh are mid-table! A lot of the teams around them have games in hand too.

Feeling confident about tonight.

• edited January 2020

Adding to that, they have only recorded one league win since the beginning of December (1-0 against Bolton) and are on a run of 6 games without a win!

• @Username said:
    I'm not totally against an NFL style blackout system allowing some premier league games to be shown, but it would be disastrous if 3pm games were generally allowed to be broadcast.

I guess the big games - the ones with the most general interest - would stay in the 'prime time' slots. I'm not convinced that many people come to Wycombe just because they can't stay in and watch the Premier League. That said, I think a proportion of any new TV money would need to filter down into the lower leagues.

• edited January 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@Username said:
    I'm not totally against an NFL style blackout system allowing some premier league games to be shown, but it would be disastrous if 3pm games were generally allowed to be broadcast.

I guess the big games - the ones with the most general interest - would stay in the 'prime time' slots. I'm not convinced that many people come to Wycombe just because they can't stay in and watch the Premier League. That said, I think a proportion of any new TV money would need to filter down into the lower leagues.

I have almost no expectation that sufficient money would filter down, trickle down economics has been proven to be false, the greed of the rich is only matched by their callousness in ignoring the deaths of the poor which are at least indirectly their fault -in football and life in general

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Username said:

I suppose it depends on whether you think it is the money or the number of people showing an interest that will keep football going outside of millionaires circus.

• @chairboyscentral said:

I'm not convinced that many people come to Wycombe just because they can't stay in and watch the Premier League.

I think you're looking at this back to front. It's less about whether people do come to Wycombe because they can't stay in and watch Premier League, and more about whether people don't come to Wycombe because they can stay in and watch Premier League.

On some occasions I have been able to get my father-in-law to come along with us to watch Wycombe at Adams Park but, with perhaps one exception, not when there has been a Premier League match on TV that he can watch from home, either clashing directly for evening matches or when it would have meant he missed the beginning or end of a Saturday match.

• @Uncle_T said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I'm not convinced that many people come to Wycombe just because they can't stay in and watch the Premier League.

I think you're looking at this back to front. It's less about whether people do come to Wycombe because they can't stay in and watch Premier League, and more about whether people don't come to Wycombe because they can stay in and watch Premier League.

On some occasions I have been able to get my father-in-law to come along with us to watch Wycombe at Adams Park but, with perhaps one exception, not when there has been a Premier League match on TV that he can watch from home, either clashing directly for evening matches or when it would have meant he missed the beginning or end of a Saturday match.

That's every Saturday though isn't it? Unless you live very close to the stadium. Can't be many fans who get home by half 5

• By contrast I love live football - even what we have to watch every week - but can quite happily turn off a match on the telly.

• I can't see a problem with FL 3pm games being made available but only as long as it is priced correctly. At £10-15 (or roughly 75% of the price of a normal ticket) per match very few people that are able to attend the game in person would choose instead to save money and watch at home. If it is priced too low such that watching from the sofa then competes with attending in person then it becomes a problem in my view.

If the price is roughly comparable to the cost of a ticket then it will serve those who are elderly, unwell etc and unable to attend in person, without attracting those that can attend.

I would object to PL games on Sat at 3pm being available on (relatively) cheap to packages. To my mind that would provide a vey appealing alternative for many casual supporters and dramatically impact bums on seats.

When we were promoted from lg2 in 2011 I was out of the country from Jan onward and felt very disconnected from everything that was going on. The contrast less than a decade later is absolutely astonishing. Over the last 4 months abroad I've been able to watch almost every game either live or a full replay. Combined with the various Twitter content and @bluntphil's wonderful podcast it has been an

• Allsop
    McCarthy, Stewart, Phillips, JJ
    Freeman, Thompson, Oforboh, Bloomfield
    Parker, Bayo

Sido, Charles, Mascoll, Gape, Wheeler, Smyth, Samuel.

With 3 defenders on the bench and no Kashket I wonder if that means his gambling ban has started? He was stripped and ready to come on at some point on Saturday before Ainsworth changed his mind, so the only time he could have picked up an injury otherwise was Monday.

Or maybe he's just ill

• Phillips against there forwards is worrying.....

• @bigred87 said:
    Phillips against there forwards is worrying.....

It's madness and with Jombati on the bench as well, how long before Phillips gets hauled off this week?

• edited January 2020

At least the diamond has the personnel to make it work this time. I think Phillips has been decent enough at CB; his issues came out of position at RB. Odd to see Charles on the bench, though, rather than not in the squad at all.

• Would of thought sido would of come into RB and McCarthy at cb..... i think Phillips played in the reverse fixture in a back four that didn't have jj in either!!! Could be wrong

• @Croider - With regard to Kashket it may simply just be that he has fallen behind Wheeler, Samuel and Smyth in getting a place on the bench.

• @bigred87 said:
    Would of thought sido would of come into RB and McCarthy at cb..... i think Phillips played in the reverse fixture in a back four that didn't have jj in either!!! Could be wrong

Yeah, we started with a back three then switched to four with Phillips at LB.

• Concerning that we haven't brought in a back-up 'keeper on an emergency loan.

• I thought we did. McCarthy has played in goal

• JJ to score directly from a corner, helped by Bayo standing in the way of Pym - who is on the small side for 'keepers and had a bit of a flappy game at our place.

• @mooneyman said:
    @Croider - With regard to Kashket it may simply just be that he has fallen behind Wheeler, Samuel and Smyth in getting a place on the bench.

Maybe he has, but we certainly don't need all 3 of Mascoll, Charles and Sido there!