Skip to content

Mark Palmer

Does anyone else find it odd that Mark Palmer who was such a big part of the initial Couhig takeover proposal and basically ran the club after Michael Davies left and in Rob's own announcements destined to be part of the new the board, just departed in mid December without any prior notice. I found this profoundly odd, so recently contacted someone that knows Palmer personally.
I was told that he was not happy about certain aspects of the takeover and the way he was treated by the Couhig's, this after introducing them to the club and all he did for them. The contact told me that Palmer was too professional to make a public announcement, fearing it might disrupt the club and wishes us well.
If true, I for one find this hugely disturbing & disappointing. Palmer was presented to us by the Couhig's as their English football expert, I checked him out and he's got tremendous experience with a number of clubs (I understand he has already been snapped up and now working with a Premier League club).
I voted on the ownership issue with the understanding that Palmer would be advising and steering the new American ownership. I for one think we should get some clarification from the Couhig's and or the club. Is there something in this re the deal not going through yet??

Comments

• Sounds like a bit of joining the dots in any old order to me.
    Any voting on the Couhig deal based on Palmer got the order of importance a bit wrong. That's down to no-one but the voter.
    Do you know @marlowchair by any chance?

• I think it’s pretty obvious that anyone questioning the Trust board or the Couhigs have long given up on voicing it on here. So predictable that the first comment from RITM is having a dig at @marlowchair

I think the fantastic article highlighting this in the Wanderer, says all you need to know.

• Where's the carrot cruncher gone?

• it is concerning that Palmer has gone so quickly and does provoke concerns as to how is and will be running the club on a daily basis. As for palmer, if any of that first post is true, perhaps the answer lies in the post - if Palmer has indeed been "snapped up" by a premier league club" hardly surprising that he has pursued that opportunity rather than running WWFC.
    in general Constructive criticism of all in authority is fine. Destructive ill-founded criticism on made up "facts" perhaps less so.

• edited January 2020

If you voted for the takeover purely because of Palmer, that seems a bit daft. Employees, especially consultants, come and go.

I'm also not going to read too much into third hand gossip about why he left. It could be true, could be a load of old toss.

I heard rumours on the Yeovil forum and in their local media that he was disliked by the players and management there as he tried to intervene in first team affairs too much. So you can probably paint whatever picture you want of him, based on the whispers of others.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I think it’s pretty obvious that anyone questioning the Trust board or the Couhigs have long given up on voicing it on here. So predictable that the first comment from RITM is having a dig at @marlowchair

I think the fantastic article highlighting this in the Wanderer, says all you need to know.

Pretty predictable that the next post is someone backing the conspiracy theory.
    Also not sure how its 'obvious' the Board criticisers have vacated the board to voice their opinions elsewhere. I'd assumed this silence was due to the emphatic vote and upcoming ownership change. You're not suggesting they've been hounded out are you?

• You misunderstand the situation I think “Oxford Blue”.
    I voted on the package that I was presented at the time and we were told that we had an English based football consultant alongside the Americans to steer the club.
    Btw... you shouldn’t listen to rumours, I have good friends in the Yeovil area (ST holders) and Palmer was hugely popular there both with the staff and players alike.
    The Couhig’s were not liked.

• @Proactive said:
    You misunderstand the situation I think “Oxford Blue”.
    I voted on the package that I was presented at the time and we were told that we had an English based football consultant alongside the Americans to steer the club.
    Btw... you shouldn’t listen to rumours, I have good friends in the Yeovil area (ST holders) and Palmer was hugely popular there both with the staff and players alike.
    The Couhig’s were not liked.

You can't tell me that my long standing Yeovil season ticket holding friend is not to be believed as he very much tells me the same things Oxford Blue talks about.

Are your good friends privy to better knowledge or is it just that it simply that the truth is somewhere in the middle and its all down to opinions.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I think it’s pretty obvious that anyone questioning the Trust board or the Couhigs have long given up on voicing it on here. So predictable that the first comment from RITM is having a dig at @marlowchair

Pretty predictable that the next post is someone backing the conspiracy theory.
    Also not sure how its 'obvious' the Board criticisers have vacated the board to voice their opinions elsewhere. I'd assumed this silence was due to the emphatic vote and upcoming ownership change. You're not suggesting they've been hounded out are you?

Yeah the constant barraging of @marlowchair and @NiceCarrots over valid claims they raised was relentless. Some people don’t want to hear the truth, or
    more to the point, want it coming out.

• Ah how I've missed all this....

• Of course criticism and questioning of our leadership is valid and welcome, but the few valid points NC and MC made were drowned in a sea of personal animosity and cynicism.

We voted for a structure involving Palmer, but we also voted not to have a say in the future running of our club, so we can hardly complain when we’re not given all the details can we?

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

Yeah the constant barraging of @marlowchair and @NiceCarrots over valid claims they raised was relentless. Some people don’t want to hear the truth, or

I'll call your constant barraging and raise you a reasonable questioning of unsubstantiated and relentlessly critical and/or negative posts in an honest attempt to find out whether there was any factual basis that might support them until, in the end, it was clear that the posters concerned were grinding their axe, for their own reasons, and adding nothing to the sum of Gasroom knowledge except bitterness, suspicion and rancour.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

That barraging would have been debate had it not been for the clear personal issues shown in the posts. It's validity or truth was never really proved and the odd success could have been put down as a punchers chance or in the same way a medium finds information someone is seeking.

Seems they now have others painting them as victims. Pretty much validates my views on it all

• Was Mark Palmer the one with all the great crisp connections? (Asking for a friend who voted on that basis....)

• The reality is we will probably never know why Palmer has left. We can debate for ever on this forum without knowing the truth.What concerns me is who is driving the club forward on the commercial side with ‘football experience’ to provide the necessary finances for us to be a more viable club in the future. Hopefully when the takeover is complete we will see the structure and responsibilities.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Was Mark Palmer the one with all the great crisp connections? (Asking for a friend who voted on that basis....)

No, he was the one in partnership with Mr Huntley.

• Awful thread, this.

• Au contraire sandwich au bacon, we are all (or at least most of us) seekers after the truth but it has to be manifestly unvarnished truth.
    @HCblue: Great post (12.23) if I may say so.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • These are surprisingly glib responses. As I said in my post on this in December, he was "going to be one of the four "team Couhig" directors - as per the proposition we voted on, set out in Rob Couhig's video for Legacy Members". He was important to the proposition precisely because the Couhigs acknowledge how little they know about the football business. Setting aside rumours and Yeovil hearsay, if you value competence and understanding of the business from Wanderers' owners, then I'd suggest that Palmer's disappearance is at least unfortunate.

Anyway, @AlanCecil has promised clarity on the Board arrangements as soon as the deal is finally done.

• I just can't believe that anyone would question anything relating to the delay or raise any concerns about the disappearance of one of the individuals who was central to the bid, before the takeover has even been completed. It's ridiculous. I'm sure there are perfectly legitimate reasons for all of this, and frankly who are we to know what they are anyway?

YEAH, I'M A WANDERER.

• I was just about to make exactly the same point @our_frank (not as well obviously)

Given the importance that was placed on his football expertise during their pitch, and how big a role he was going to play post deal, it's hardly unreasonable for fans to be at least questioning when he walks away before the deal has even gone through.

We absolutely deserve to know the full story behind it, it will come out eventually as it always does, and it's not a good start if they've been less than completely truthful.

• Mark Palmer is managing director of Insight2sport a company, who according to their website, "offer to sports clubs a secure and confidential link to potential buyers, investors and financial partners". It might be argued (at least by the EFL), that part ownership of a league club could be construed as a conflict of interest.

• I was told Palmer would have given up his Insight business if he was to be full time on the board at Wycombe and that he’d already past the EFL fit and proper test, so what you Are saying doesn’t stack “Mooneyman”.

• @micra said:
    Au contraire sandwich au bacon, we are all (or at least most of us) seekers after the truth but it has to be manifestly unvarnished truth.
    @HCblue: Great post (12.23) if I may say so.

I'll allow it.

• @drcongo said:
    Awful thread, this.

Is eric_plant franchising his catch phrase?