Skip to content

I wonder why the Couhig deal hasn't gone through yet

Comments

• McCarthy may not be the only player coming in though.

• We might have been paying 0 towards Aarons’ wages too.

• @chairleg said:
    First post in a long time, but am intrigued why McCarthy would take us over a spending cap? Surely Rolando Aarons wages would be more than Jason's?

Depends if we were paying his wages, (which I very much doubt we were), though we may have been making up a small percentage?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@chairleg said:
    First post in a long time, but am intrigued why McCarthy would take us over a spending cap? Surely Rolando Aarons wages would be more than Jason's?

Depends if we were paying his wages, (which I very much doubt we were), though we may have been making up a small percentage?

Thanks, I would imagine a small percentage of Aarons wages would be equivalent to most of Jasons!

• He gets 10k a goal @chairleg a schoolboy error in the contract negotiations.

• You've been chatting to Richie again @Wendoverman or perhaps your his dad!

• @mooneyman richie is blocked from Wendover and it's 'you're' . Standards are really falling on the Gasroom.

• As a matter of courtesy, you should at least give Richie a capital R @Wendoverman.

• I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy has become our highest paid player, he's clearly on a better wage at Millwall than any of our players, and he had plenty of options to pick from wanting his services - and he was still useful as a backup for a Millwall so they wouldn't just let him go without the vast majority of his wages.

Aarons was the total opposite, he needed somewhere to play at the last minute and wasn't in their squad. Even though his reported wage of 13k is silly for us, I doubt it mattered at all whether we could stump up 10% or 20% of it to Newcastle.

• @Username said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy has become our highest paid player, he's clearly on a better wage at Millwall than any of our players, and he had plenty of options to pick from wanting his services - and he was still useful as a backup for a Millwall so they wouldn't just let him go without the vast majority of his wages.

Aarons was the total opposite, he needed somewhere to play at the last minute and wasn't in their squad. Even though his reported wage of 13k is silly for us, I doubt it mattered at all whether we could stump up 10% or 20% of it to Newcastle.

Pretty likely to be true. Gareth himself said we'd struggled to find a way to do this deal, until Rob Couhig got it over the line.
    Millwall certainly would expect a great deal of the wage to be paid, as otherwise, loaning a player out, whom you'veonly had 6 months would be a dreadful deal.

We'll definitely need to go up to the championship to have a chance of keeping him permanently, and that's if Millwall decide to cut their losses.

• McCarthy said in the Vere after the game he'd been on the phone to Ainsworth for a week begging to come back, family love it here, wants to play, wants to be welcome. Millwall could have made it difficult I suppose as there was competition but still a possibility they are only getting a percentage.
    Ainsworths interview with Phil on the podcast should pacify some on the thread, he seems absolutely certain it'll all be signed asap and it's only admin holding things up.

• I’ve been told today by a person who works at the club that one of the reasons the deal hasn’t gone through yet is that the club are struggling to pay wages, meaning they have to borrow more money from the Couhigs in the short term which then alters the agreement slightly and causes delay in completing.

Could be a load of rubbish, so take with a pinch of salt, however thought I’d share.

• Not sure what to make of that @PrinceOfCrowell. Somewhere between ‘hmm’ and ‘uh-huh?’

• Best to share the tittle tattle rather than keep it to yourself. Good for the soul.

'Could be a load of rubbish'. The only sure thing about 90% of internet rumours.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I’ve been told today by a person who works at the club that one of the reasons the deal hasn’t gone through yet is that the club are struggling to pay wages, meaning they have to borrow more money from the Couhigs in the short term which then alters the agreement slightly and causes delay in completing.

Could be a load of rubbish, so take with a pinch of salt, however thought I’d share.

Not surprising, bearing in mind we pay everyone 3k a week.

• Seems a little strange it’s true bearing in mind we have just brought in Stockdale who must be on a decent wedge. I know we are only making a contribution but still it’s extra revenue. All this money needed to run the squad so it does make the Mark Palmer situation rather confusing( the man flagged at outset to deliver the financials).

• I'm sure it's nothing to worry about

• ps. if the deal going through is different to the one we voted on then surely the vote is null and void? So I'd imagine that's total bullshit

• The deal's already different isn't it @eric_plant? We voted on a deal that involved Mark Palmer.

• I don't think he was specifically mentioned in the legal paperwork

The financials obviously were. Not sure they can be amended prior to completion without calling into question the validity of the vote, but I am not a lawyer

• You voted on a deal in principle, there was always going to be negotiation afterwards. Not that anyone actually read the deal on the table so I can't see how anyone could complain about it changing!

• Not unlike another deal signed recently...what people think they are getting and what they actually get might be very different! :smiley:

• Mr Couhig's piggy bank might now be empty!

• You lost, get over it.

Oh sorry, wrong vote.

• I disagree @Wendoverman I think everyone who voted knew we were getting a posh, public school, lying, bullying, oaf. They just didn’t care.

As for the other two votes. Welllll....

• Scrape up to the championship, then sell to some absolute billionaires, and we really set sail.
    That's all in the plan right?

• Probably......possibly.......potentially.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    McCarthy said in the Vere after the game he'd been on the phone to Ainsworth for a week begging to come back, family love it here, wants to play, wants to be welcome. Millwall could have made it difficult I suppose as there was competition but still a possibility they are only getting a percentage.
    Ainsworths interview with Phil on the podcast should pacify some on the thread, he seems absolutely certain it'll all be signed asap and it's only admin holding things up.

Both McCarthy and his wife posted on Instagram that they were ‘back home’ - not that I follow his missus! Would be very surprised if we don’t see Jase back on a permanent sometime in the not too distant future.

• @davecz said:
    Seems a little strange it’s true bearing in mind we have just brought in Stockdale who must be on a decent wedge. I know we are only making a contribution but still it’s extra revenue. All this money needed to run the squad so it does make the Mark Palmer situation rather confusing( the man flagged at outset to deliver the financials).

I’ve been told Palmer left because he knew the Couhig’s didn’t have the dosh and didn’t want to be associated with them when the brown stuff hit the whirly thing.
    I’m afraid it’s all beginning to unravel.

• Even less likely than @PrinceOfCrowell’s idea I should think.