Skip to content

McCarthy signs?

Comments

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:
    We will need him to replace Charles on Tursday.

Bejabers @mooneyman - I tort for a moment the game was on Thursday.

No I would have typed out Fursday if that was the case!

• edited January 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    Didn't we sell Paris, loan him back then get him back permanently on a free?

I believe so, yes. Whether there was a small fee involved we will never know I guess. Would seem odd that they'd just give him back after spending what must have been the best part of £150k?

So when Millwall sing their "no-one likes us" song....we actually do quite like them?

• @thecatwwfc said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Didn't we sell Paris, loan him back then get him back permanently on a free?

I believe so, yes. Whether there was a small fee involved we will never know I guess. Would seem odd that they'd just give him back after spending what must have been the best part of £150k?

So when Millwall sing their "no-one likes us" song....we actually do quite like them?

At the very least, we would be somewhat grateful.

• Why the conditional @HCblue? Did you mean “should” ? Genuine question.

• @HCblue said:

If we had signed 3 players from a single club and none of the lived up to the standard and ending up going back, as a fan, you would be fuming wouldn't you?? Plus they lost Fred (not that they saw that as a massive loss).

Goes to show the step up in quality from league 1 to mediocre championship side though...

• A point of the playoffs suggests something slightly better than mediocre @thecatwwfc .

• Off the playoffs.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@HCblue said:

If we had signed 3 players from a single club and none of the lived up to the standard and ending up going back, as a fan, you would be fuming wouldn't you?? Plus they lost Fred (not that they saw that as a massive loss).

Goes to show the step up in quality from league 1 to mediocre championship side though...

I dare say we're forever anti the idea of Aldershot players, after Waddock repeatedly pillaged their old boys, and mostly they were fairly average fare!

The championship is certainly a step up, but I'm convinced we have a number of players who could (to coin a phrase I believe our own @glasshalffull once used in the MON days about a few of our players in relation to the premier league - could "exist" at that level)

We would certainly have to rely on some genius signings from Gareth though, and to find our feel very quickly.
    We'd very likely take a few drubbings too.

• @micra said:
    A point of the playoffs suggests something slightly better than mediocre @thecatwwfc .

Sorry, when I say "mediocre", perhaps I meant that you wouldn't put them in the same bracket as a lot of the teams in that league in terms of size?

@Malone I can't help but think there is more talent in the lower leagues that could step up to that level with better coaching etc (Jamie vardy, Chris smalling). I've played against players in non league that you can't even get near! I guess nowadays even such players are going to cost the best part of £1m though.

• Fair enough @thecatwwfc. You were talking about a mediocre club rather than a mediocre side.

• @micra said:
    Bejabers @mooneyman - I tort for a moment the game was on Thursday.

I'd have to mousse it because of work if it was.

• Ffs...... just get on and announce it !! What is it with WWFC and secrecy?

• A big welcome on the pitch before today's game?

• It's official, Grimmer starts at right back , Guppy returns at left wing.

• Worst kept secret ever

• Only way it's not a bit odd, is if we haven't actually finalised the loan paperwork. Hence cannot announce it.

But surely very unusual to have a player in training before something is done?

• I'm sure our legendary media team have got something up their sleeve.

• Sen-sational!

I can think of several players who've signed for us twice, there can't be many that have signed for us three times...

• Fred and technically Paris (?). Anyone know what they have in common?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Fred and technically Paris (?). Anyone know what they have in common?

Millwall not so bad after all

• Danny Rowe

• Did Paris come back on loan from Millwall before we re-signed him permanently? We really have done we out of them!

• Tyson (Loan, Perm, Trial, perm) Guppy. Must be some others, a good sign that you are doing things properly I'd suggest.

• I’m not convinced that’s loans converted into permanent signings really count. Did we sign Guppy three times?

• @floyd said:
    I’m not convinced that’s loans converted into permanent signings really count. Did we sign Guppy three times?

Yeah, he came back for two brief spells either side of a stint in the US towards the end of his career.

• @StrongestTeam ill take your word for it. I remember him coming back for about a month once in that period, I can’t for the life of me remember him coming back twice.