Skip to content

South Africa versus England

Straight away I’ll apologise to those (probably a substantial majority) who don’t like cricket and don’t love it but I just had to say something about the very loud (and excellent) band at the Port Elizabeth Test Match. Intrusive maybe but so good that I reckon a definite positive for the atmosphere.

Comments

• @EddieMonsoon’ll not be over the moon.

• I must admit @micra I'm not a fan of the band but if they drown out the recently added more extreme Barmy Army chanting its a good thing.

One regret I have is leaving it too late to follow a West Indies or South Africa tour with fans from the home nation dominating rather than the England fans taking 80% of the tickets.

Looks like a slow pitch today though. Proper Test cricket

• Do you support any team where you don't hate most of your fellow supporters Righty?

• Just realised commentary is on Talksport...not sure what that is on Five Live Sports Extra, crowd of people sat in a cafe occasionally mentioning the score?

• I've always felt that Phil Catchpole's commentary is a little TMS'esque myself. The little humorous observations and descriptions he pops in. I really like it. Certainly can't accuse him of sitting in a cafe and occasionally mentioning the score though.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I've always felt that Phil Catchpole's commentary is a little TMS'esque myself. The little humorous observations and descriptions he pops in. I really like it. Certainly can't accuse him of sitting in a cafe and occasionally mentioning the score though.

TMS and Phil C-Pole are completely different to this - this was the sort of level of interest you show to Spurs v Liverpool on a plasma in a Hilton Hotel in Sunderland after a 4-0 defeat.

This may be because they don't have the rights so if they say too much it's classed as commentary. Wonder where the cafe is?

Archie McPherson commentating on the African Nations Cup from a studio in Piccadilly was better than this.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Just realised commentary is on Talksport...not sure what that is on Five Live Sports Extra, crowd of people sat in a cafe occasionally mentioning the score?

For a second I thought you were listening to Big Bash coverage on Sports Extra but it's the Social. As the BBC don't have rights they can talk around the action but not about it in terns of commentary. They do similar things with football when Talksport have the match rights.

It's definately a massive drop in standard to TMS. It also permeates the live text on the BBC that I'm following. Are they discussing Bare Foot driving on the Social?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Just realised commentary is on Talksport...not sure what that is on Five Live Sports Extra, crowd of people sat in a cafe occasionally mentioning the score?

How is the commentary on Talksport? Presumably not up to TMS standards?

• When mrs micra commandeered the TV I moved to the kitchen intending in my innocence to listen to 5Live Extra. I couldn’t believe it was a rain or bad light break as there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.
    Am at a jazz gig in Twickenham now so thanks for the explanation!

• @micra said:
    When mrs micra commandeered the TV I moved to the kitchen intending in my innocence to listen to 5Live Extra. I couldn’t believe it was a rain or bad light break as there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.
    Am at a jazz gig in Twickenham now so thanks for the explanation!
    @FmG said:

@peterparrotface said:

How is the commentary on Talksport? Presumably not up to TMS standards?

No but I was just relieved to hear about the cricket rather than a broken foot on a holiday in the Isle of Man

• TMSRIP? Or only sleeping? Really miss it. Beautiful sounds from the band bats this morning.

• TMS will be back for home series but some of away ones are with TalkSport and on digital radio on TalkSport2. Coverage is ok if you don't mind the odd Selco Builders Warehouse advert.

Ollie Pope is a pleasure to watch isn't he?

• Classic technique, concentration and intelligence. Confess I had to “look him up” at the start of the series and was amazed to discover he was only 21 (turned 22 a fortnight ago). Occasional wicket keeper too. And just as I say that knobhead Butler is out again!

• Buttler with two teas please, @micra.

• Me no understand @Cyclops. I think you’re teasing me and I’d rather be buttered up.

• Talksport much better than some of the inane drivel that dominates TMS these days. Vaughan and Tufnell are generally insufferable for more than 10 minutes at a time and Swann's awful forced 'banter' is painful to listen to.

Gareth Batty is excellent, perfect mixture of more light hearted conversational chat and serious insights into the action. Harmison, Gough and Butcher all decent too.

• @micra said:
    TMSRIP? Or only sleeping? Really miss it. Beautiful sounds from the band bats this morning.

If anyone is remotely interested, I meant “the band and the bats”.

I can’t make a valid comparison @Croider as I am totally unfamiliar with Talksport but I agree about Michael Vaughan. Happy to indulge Tuffers and felt privileged to be greeted with “you alright mate” when I bumped into him and the delightful Aggers when ushering at the Swan a few years ago. Can’t say I’ve heard much from “Swanny” on air. Commercial breaks are insufferable.

• Well, that was an unexpectedly rapid collapse by South Africa!

• Was absolutely perfect start.... unfortunately I think it's about to rain !