Skip to content

Sheffield Wednesday's ten year season ticket

On the face of it, this sounds like a great idea. However, the more I read the less I understand.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/january/10-year-season-ticket-on-sale-now/

Comments

• Bizarre, probably another way of avoiding ffp, they've already tried the old selling the stadium to yourselves and sponsors that don't even exist to funnel cash into the club beyond what's allowed.

When they go in to administration at some point I'd guess these all become worth sod all.

• I've re-read it 4 or 5 times and each time it just gets more baffling.

• If I understand it correctly (and that's a big if!), for £4,550-£6,400 a fan could buy a season ticket which would last their lifetime if Sheffield Wednesday never make it back to the Premier League. Worst case is they prepay a 15 year season ticket for £300-£425 per season.

No idea how much a one year season ticket costs for them but this seems like a decent initiative for anyone with a few spare grand to spend. Nice way to help the club's cashflow in the process.

• @FmG said:
    If I understand it correctly (and that's a big if!), for £4,550-£6,400 a fan could buy a season ticket which would last their lifetime if Sheffield Wednesday never make it back to the Premier League. Worst case is they prepay a 15 year season ticket for £300-£425 per season.

No idea how much a one year season ticket costs for them but this seems like a decent initiative for anyone with a few spare grand to spend. Nice way to help the club's cashflow in the process.

Surely a danger they piddle it away and lose future income for decades

• That is of course a risk. I suppose it depends on whether or not it is the fans' responsibility to manage the club's finances by not taking up these sorts of initiatives because they don't trust the club to look after the cash properly.

• If you've got a spare 6000 knocking about, why not give it to a football club. They are all renowned for their year on year financial responsibility after all.

• Kent County Cricket Club used to offer a lifetime membership option which would get you into every future championship match. I don’t know if that was the norm for county cricket clubs.

• Middlesex definitely offer lifetime membership

• @FmG said:
    That is of course a risk. I suppose it depends on whether or not it is the fans' responsibility to manage the club's finances by not taking up these sorts of initiatives because they don't trust the club to look after the cash properly.

Not really, but you'd need to take responsibility of the fact you might never see your cash again and the current set of chancers might not have a huge deal of control over what is likely to happen in 20 / 30 years time.

• Commit to a Wednesday for ten years?

• I think we offered a three year season ticket a while back ie three years at the current price can't remember when (about year 2000 I think ) don't know what the take up was.

• @Mr67 said:
    I think we offered a three year season ticket a while back ie three years at the current price can't remember when (about year 2000 I think ) don't know what the take up was.

I did that as a student. £120 for the whole three years! Madness.

Think i might have done a two year at some stage too? Adult price job.

That Sheff Wed thing is amazing. Especially as they're using reaching the premier league as a deal breaker when they haven't been anywhere near for yonks!
    And you can sell your ticket back to the club year by year too.

Doesn't seem much loss to the individual..but seems a fair old risk to the club.
    No wonder they're limiting them!

• The article may as well read ' we have massive cash flow issues, please send help.'

• With too many slightly hairbrained ideas like this, you may ever so slightly question whether there will be a club for you to gain your value. Be it over 10 years, 15, or 100!