Skip to content

Comments

• I thought he looked good but perhaps he's been better away or in the cups as I've not seen anything stunning from him at ap that fills me with gloom about him going to be honest. More interested in Smyth getting up and running and scoring myself.

• He was great at Pompey and showed flashes against Sunderland at home and Oxford - and took his goal against Shrewsbury really well - but I can't remember much more other than that. Hampered by injuries and it never quite worked out. Not really enough there to justify extending the loan.

• Maybe we just weren't quite the right fit. It'll certainly have been a learning experience for him.

• I think after everyone returned to full fitness it would have been quite hard for him to fit in. I just don't think he quite gives 100% on the pitch and I believe he probably thought he was too big for the club. It will be interesting to see what his next move is. I do wish him good luck for him in the future.

• All show and little end result. Doesn't appear to have the physical strength for this league. Hope he manages to progress his career as he seems a nice bloke (as micra would say).

• In the event of Newcastle letting him go out again is he more likely to play for a club in the champ or a club in League One after his stint with us?

• edited January 2020

With Newcastles injury problems Aarons could go from a League One benchwarmer to a Premier League player.
    He was quite clearly a talented player but maybe wrong team at the wrong time. If he had been a youngster from our youth team I'd have been excited but as a marquee loan signing with top flight experience I found myself a little underwealmed and, once more, wondering if there really is a massive skill gap between the leagues.
    Good luck to him. I'll be watching his progress with a keen eye

• Agree with most of the above. He's a good player I'm sure, but through a mixture of injuries and possibly not being the right fit for us, we never got to see the best of him. Certainly wish him all the best, it's probably a good thing for both parties that he's returned to Newcastle however.

• Never quite got going really. Arguably the best player in the squad but never seemed to play 2-3 games back to back.

Had a tendency to often look like he didn't have the ball under control, liking to try and do something fancy at the wrong time

That's flair players though!

Really hope Smyth kicks on now, as he's got it all to prove at the moment.
    And let's hope there's someone special coming in for the saved wages.

• I disagree that he didn't give 100% or thought he was bigger than the club. Things just didn't work out, not helped by the intermittent injuries. We were rightly excited when he arrived, but I don't think anyone will feel gutted that he's returning.

• On @Right_in_the_Middle’s point about him possibly going from a League 1 benchwarmer to a Premier League player, I am not sure he is eligible to play for Newcastle this season if, as I understood it, they have to name a squad within a specific number at the start of the season.
    Perhaps that doesn’t apply at this stage of the season.

I too wish him all the best.

• I was always more excited by Smyth out of the 2, I just really hope he can play a big part between now and the end of the season

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    If he had been a youngster from our youth team I'd have been excited but as a marquee loan signing with top flight experience I found myself a little underwhelmed...

Nicely put.

• @micra Premier League squads must be changeable during the transfer window, I guess, how else would players be able to move between clubs in January?
    There's a limit on numbers but if a player leaves or is dropped from the squad that creates a vacancy for someone else to be added.

Aarons did okay but was nothing special when he played but, for whatever reason, that wasn't often enough. We maybe shouldn't forget Wycombe is a long way from Newcastle which might have unsettled the lad.
    Anyway I wish him all the best for the future.

• @Twizz said:

We maybe shouldn't forget Wycombe is a long way from Newcastle which might have unsettled the lad.

Anyway I wish him all the best for the future.

It didn't stop him going abroad on loan twice

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I was always more excited by Smyth out of the 2, I just really hope he can play a big part between now and the end of the season

Why is that out of interest? Aarons had played 20 times in the Premier league and Smyth was championship.

• Dont know tbh, probably mainly because I know a lot of QPR season ticket holders who were all amazed and slightly outraged that he was allowed to join us this year, as they all thought he should be playing regularly for them. They built him up a lot, plus he was great for Accy last season. He's fast, direct and can score goals, was just hoping I guess.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Dont know tbh, probably mainly because I know a lot of QPR season ticket holders who were all amazed and slightly outraged that he was allowed to join us this year, as they all thought he should be playing regularly for them. They built him up a lot, plus he was great for Accy last season. He's fast, direct and can score goals, was just hoping I guess.

Hope he can produce some of that going forward. We need to start mixing the style upa bit more than the last few weeks

• When he signed I posted...

From a Newcastle supporting friend: "He flatters to deceive. But for League One he should be quality IF he’s got the drive to do well. Sadly we offered him a new contract 3 years ago due to interest from other clubs and is always injured or just doesn’t turn up when he’s played"

Think we've probably seen just that whilst he has been with us.

• Footballers are just human like anyone else. Successful in the championship last season, expected to be competing for a place in the premier this season, suddenly at the last minute finds himself with a lg1 side (and a relatively unglamorous one at that). Perhaps a big ask to expect him to immediately adjust and turn it on for us.

Worthwhile experiment, didn't really work out, wish each other well and move on.

• Love the “just” in your first sentence @DevC. All it seemed to lack was “only” in front of it. Come to think of it, you probably meant “only human”.

• An unglamorous league 1 side who were burning it up at the start of the season @devc if you can't get yourself up for a winning team at whatever level you may need to find another profession.

• It was the disappointment of the slow realisation of what a player and team we'd have with Aarons still to come in, and then once he's over a niggle, then, when he's had a couple of games...
    And in truth it just never happened. Some good moments, rather than the ripping up the league we were hoping for.

In fairness, we're not the sort of team that give our wingers loads of quality ball on the flor and dominate the opposition. That can only make it harder to succeed as his sort of player.

• @DevC said:
    Footballers are just human like anyone else. Successful in the championship last season, expected to be competing for a place in the premier this season, suddenly at the last minute finds himself with a lg1 side (and a relatively unglamorous one at that). Perhaps a big ask to expect him to immediately adjust and turn it on for us.

Worthwhile experiment, didn't really work out, wish each other well and move on.

Did you see him play? I didn't see any problem with his attitude when he played. He played ok when he got on the pitch. He just didn't play like a Premier League starlet.

• Talking of loans, does anyone know whether CMS has come back from Stevenage? Believe his loan has just expired.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:
    Footballers are just human like anyone else. Successful in the championship last season, expected to be competing for a place in the premier this season, suddenly at the last minute finds himself with a lg1 side (and a relatively unglamorous one at that). Perhaps a big ask to expect him to immediately adjust and turn it on for us.

Did you see him play? I didn't see any problem with his attitude when he played. He played ok when he got on the pitch. He just didn't play like a Premier League starlet.

After Luke(?) Bolton from City last season, I'm thinking maybe youngsters that PL clubs are willing to let go out to L1 teams might not necessarily be a sure thing to tear up the league. Those glorious six months of Eze seem increasingly special. What a magical player.

• edited January 2020

@HCblue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:

After Luke(?) Bolton from City last season, I'm thinking maybe youngsters that PL clubs are willing to let go out to L1 teams might not necessarily be a sure thing to tear up the league. Those glorious six months of Eze seem increasingly special. What a magical player.

Bolton just looked like a stocky right back, filling in as a winger for a bit. Never looked anything special at all.

Aarons you could tell had something special skill wise, but it was mostly flashy unnecessary stuff out wide, or often trying to get past someone with a long limb and being dispossessed.

The more you go through our actual attackers though, you wonder who actually had a big impact on our being top aside from Bayo!
    That's why we were so excited I think, a thought pattern of "wait until xxx and yyy" really start getting into form.

• edited January 2020

David Wheeler has certainly had a big impact, so consistent and equally important on and off the ball. Worth noting that he and Fred have only started four games together. One of those was v Accrington - when Fred had come back from his initial injury and didn't look fit (came off after about an hour) and Wheeler was playing through the middle - and another was v Peterborough - we started with Fred at left wing-back and he went off injured before half-time, the last time he played. I'm really excited about the prospect of those two either side of Bayo or Samuel. In fact, we haven't seen a Wheeler-Samuel-Fred front three - only seen Wheeler-Bayo-Fred once (v Rochdale - same three started v Fleetwood but Wheeler left and Fred right).

• Reminds me of the whole season where all we talked about was how good Rammell and Devine where going to be together.

• @floyd I still wonder about that to this day.