Skip to content

Gareth Ainsworth’s post-match quotes

“I’m still smiling. I know where a club our size should be, and I know where we are.”

Would anyone care to decipher what he means?

Comments

• "We are still overachieving, and I don't throw my toys out of the pram when the going gets tough."

• Decipher it? It's pretty clear isn't it!

It's amazing how quickly fans lose sight of where we've come from at the first signs of trouble.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    “I’m still smiling. I know where a club our size should be, and I know where we are.”

To be 2nd in the table (level on points) at this stage of the season is very impressive, and if you claim that had you been told this at the start of the season and not considered it ridiculous then I don't believe you

• Seems a perfectly reasonable comment from GA. To be having a bad run (which all teams, good or bad will have to a varying degree in a season) and still be in 2nd, just goes to show what a remarkable run we were on.

• The reality is if we finish mid table , it will still be a good season bearing in mind who we are and where we have been the last few seasons. Clearly this run is very disappointing but let’s be realistic. Who knows a couple of wins could change everything and we could make the playoffs at the end of the season. Even in our wildest dreams at the beginning of the season we would not have imagined that. Keep the faith.

• @glasshalfempty said:

I'd be more interested in deciphering what point you are trying to make and why you've put it in a new thread.
    Gareth has been way more obtuse with his comments over the years. This is a very straight forward one

• We all know he means I'm failing badly, lying about injuries and only playing my mates.

• @davecz said:
    The reality is if we finish mid table , it will still be a good season bearing in mind who we are and where we have been the last few seasons. Clearly this run is very disappointing but let’s be realistic. Who knows a couple of wins could change everything and we could make the playoffs at the end of the season. Even in our wildest dreams at the beginning of the season we would not have imagined that. Keep the faith.

Some of the runs teams have had in this league, both bad and good, as well as how many times our rivals lose games, shows that we're still massively right in the mixer.

But we have to snap back into shape pretty soon now.
    Today's lineup certainly looked like a containment job, and that gameplan was utterly out the window within the first 5 or 6 minutes.

• Good post @davecz.

• Hardly seagulls following the trawler is it.

• No interview with Ainsworth on iFollow which is strange as his interviews are put up pretty quickly after games.

• He's mulling over his position on Megxit.

• @robin said:
    No interview with Ainsworth on iFollow which is strange as his interviews are put up pretty quickly after games.

Probably due to the distance and hours our media team had to drive home after the game. Quotes from his interview soon appeared on Twitter after the game which is easier to do while mobile.

• I see no-one was able to decipher the comments then? Not surprising in the circumstances I suppose.

• It means that a club of our size being on equal points with the league leaders is a remarkable achievement. Where’s the mystery?

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I see no-one was able to decipher the comments then? Not surprising in the circumstances I suppose.

I think everyone was.

You must be in your element now we're looking poor again.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I see no-one was able to decipher the comments then? Not surprising in the circumstances I suppose.

Looks to me like everyone deciphered them pretty well to me. If you were a little less obtuse with your mischief making I might be about to work out what you are on about.

• Having heard Gaz’s comments on Radio Luton after the game he was distinctly downbeat in his delivery. He normally manages to deliver with some positivity in his voice but not yesterday. No matter what he says it’s hurting him.

• @glasshalfempty said:

Multiple people have responded to you with their very coherent interpretations.

You seem insufferably obtuse.

• If the comments are so easy to decipher, where should a club our size be?

• Anything higher than mid-table League Two is overachieving in my opinion.

• "insufferably obtuse" would make an excellent t-shirt slogan

• @eric_plant said:
    "insufferably obtuse" would make an excellent t-shirt slogan

My girlfriend already has that t-shirt!

• I might make a sticker for you for saturday

• Ah, but what does GA mean when he says he knows where we are? Oh the mystery...

• What could 'I'm still smiling' possibly mean? Sounds like he could be mocking us (or just enjoying being where we are compared to where we should be)

• edited January 2020

@glasshalfempty said:
    If the comments are so easy to decipher, where should a club our size be?

At utter best, midtable league 1. Most likely dipping to face a brave battle against relegation every so often.

• @glasshalfempty said:

High Wycombe

• @drcongo said:

@glasshalfempty said:

High Wycombe

I seem to recall Ivor Beeks and Lawrie Sanchez once had other ideas about that.

• I think there’s a case for moving us a lot (about 179 miles) further north