Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• I fully expected to get through this season without losing or conceding a goal. I feel I have been misled by those at the top.

• No reason why not @Malone.

I don’t recall “batting” anyone down
    @thecatwwfc. I recognised the difficulties.
    But please remind me what I said and I will hold my hand up if appropriate. Nothing wrong with exchanging views in the general course of events but to instantly give voice to the need for desperate measures 25 minutes into a match seemed unnecessary and certainly didn’t help the general mood!

• @micra said:
    You’re risk averse, eh @TheDancingYak ?

Untempting fate. Or reverse mockers or something

• @thecatwwfc said:

I really want to know when the hell Fred will be back. Does anyone even know what's actually wrong with him?

I recall overhearing that it's a hip injury.

• Lets see Kasket and Freeman.

• Hip injuries will be the death of me. Kashket, Darius and now Fred?

• @robin said:
    Oh well at least Oxford are losing 3-0 at home LOL! Just a shame it's against Rotherham who will be top tonight.

Why do we care about Oxford so much when we are > @micra said:

No reason why not @Malone.

I don’t recall “batting” anyone down
    @thecatwwfc. I recognised the difficulties.
    But please remind me what I said and I will hold my hand up if appropriate. Nothing wrong with exchanging views in the general course of events but to instantly give voice to the need for desperate measures 25 minutes into a match seemed unnecessary and certainly didn’t help the general mood!

I will scroll back through the archives if you want me to or you can take my word for it. It's not a conclusion made after 25 minutes. It was an observation after the last 475 minutes (give or take a few). 1 point from 15 is alarm bells for ANY side, tip or bottom.

Before the season started none of us would have expected to be where we are now, so in that sense...this season will always be
    success. It would just be such a shame to throw it away after being 7/8 points clear of 2nd at one point. Now we are only 10 clear of 16th!

• Casket for you then @fredk333. Kasket for @Shev !

• @thecatwwfc said:

Now we are only 10 clear of 16th!

Another way of looking at it is we are only 10 points away from being 10 points clear at the top of the table.

• Strange substitutions - and now 4 down.

• Optimistic people are always cyber-bullying the people who know on here with their upbeat posts and general view that things are generally going well and will.pick up. You only have to scroll back over the last few years to see that. It's one of the reasons people want the gasroom closed down I'm sure.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I hope Grimmer is back soon. His replacement is in a different class.

I’ve noticed that

• Its all gone Tom Petty........

• I prefer that way @arnos_grove !
    But @thecatwwfc is spot on when he says one point from fifteen rings alarm bells. Certainly does but we need to keep things in perspective rather than rush to make untimely spur of the moment comments. I don’t doubt that he has harboured pessimistic thoughts since before Christmas but I’d rather not hear them on this somewhat sobering Saturday afternoon!

• Not sure I agree those are strange substitutions.

Bayo brought on early to change formation, Thompson to RB to remove Phillips who was a liability, while keeping Wheeler & Smyth to play a wider midfield.
    Gape only just back from injury replaced by Pattinson and Parker on to get minutes into his legs to replace Smyth who hasn't been very effective.

We're being well beaten (again) which is disappointing but we have to regroup and try to put things right next week.

• @micra said:
    I prefer that way @arnos_grove !
    But @thecatwwfc is spot on when he says one point from fifteen rings alarm bells. Certainly does but we need to keep things in perspective rather than rush to make untimely spur of the moment comments. I don’t doubt that he has harboured pessimistic thoughts since before Christmas but I’d rather not hear them on this somewhat sobering Saturday afternoon!

Today is a right off but with Grimmer back we‘ll have a solid back four again and maybe with a new face arriving things will improve.

• Don't forget Sunderland are a big club in this league ?

• Let's spare a thought for Sunderland fans, who can now take their toys back in the pram, start supporting their team now that things are going well again, and recommence pretending they are the most loyal fans in the land.

As for me, I love Wycombe as much today as I did when things were going well.

• We need to recapture that early season magic asap!

Only slight positives today is that Coventry managed to drop points at home to MK, and Peterboro at home to Gillingham.

But our breathing room is utterly minimised now, second now by goal difference, and with two teams below us who can catch us with their game in hand.

Only a 6 point margin to being outside the play offs as well. Plus Doncaster, 7 points behind have two games in hand.

I'm gonna stop looking now, and hope we turn up refreshed v Rochdale, as that now becomes a massive game.

• Under the football papers rules I see we are still top of the league.

• Today has been a right bummer @BuckinghamBlue. Just hope Rotherham will be singing “top of the league you’re having a laugh” when they visit on 4 April !

• 2-2, I was having a laugh.

• Bad time to play them. Parks has just got them a good couple of results and to be honest we are not looking like scoring many at the moment unless Bayo is on the field.
    I’m sure the Couhig’s have a couple of signings incoming once we get the deal over the line. Strange playing Gape today in a game that was always going to start fast. Match fitness and all that .... but what do I know. In Gaz we trust!

• Tough day at the end of a very tough run of fixtures. With key players returning, we're still very well placed. Next week is a big, big game however!

• TBF @Shev, the Sunderland fans were fantastic with the applause and support for Oliver Darlington. I must say our laughter at when we might reach safety on 50 points is feeling somewhat hollow now!

• Good point, @ValleyWanderer - it's harder to begrudge them when you point that out!

• Someone posted the pen decision, and it's a bit ludicrous. Stewart basically blocking off their man who was tearing in to rush our keeper.
    He was never getting close, but Stewart shouldn't have smashed him on route.

Oh well.

Next week, get a win, and the pressure eases. If we don't win..well let's worry about that next week

• Phillips did very well to last 29 minutes before GA finally put him out of his misery.

An uncharacteristic nightmare from Stewart too