Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Christ that’s a sickening start for the faithful who made the trip.

• It’s embarrassing now, 3-0 down after 20 minutes

• It's a very negative lineup. At the start of the season we were fearless. There were times when we would have a front 4 almost plus Freeman in the middle! Why have we reverted to being scared of teams??

We desperately need reinforcements if we are to have ANY chance of being promoted. I hate to be negative but I said it from the start. We will not finish top 6 if we don't bring 1 or 2 in.

• Still won’t change my thoughts on our final position...10th.

• Sounds like we're being absolutely annihilated up there.

• We desperately need Grimmer, Gape, Thompson and Onyedinma to be fully fit.
    We need a player in midfield (? Freeman) who can hold the ball up. Any mention of Bloomfield yet. Sod’s law. First mention after 35 minutes!

• Phillips is atrocious I’m afraid. Unbelievable how Sido can’t oust him - streets ahead

• Are you forgetting how bad Sido was the other week

• And how (relatively) well Phillips played against Ipswich.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    It's a very negative lineup. At the start of the season we were fearless. There were times when we would have a front 4 almost plus Freeman in the middle! Why have we reverted to being scared of teams??

We desperately need reinforcements if we are to have ANY chance of being promoted. I hate to be negative but I said it from the start. We will not finish top 6 if we don't bring 1 or 2 in.

It’s almost as though Ainsworth has no confidence in his team to maintain a place in the top two. I think he’s more comfortable with the team being in the bottom half.

• edited January 2020

I was going to say that at least the games get "easier" after today, but Rochdale aside, we have Peterborough and Cov away back to back, pending a FA cup date for the latter.

Today further emphasises that Bayo is still an absolutely key player. Without him there's just way less threat to the opposition.
    Plus as much as we tell ourselves the squad is strong, there's a big drop off when someone's out.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Are you forgetting how bad Sido was the other week

One mistake but he's still better than Phillips but that's only my opinion.

• What is it with you guys? We’ve had a nightmare 20 minutes against a fired up Sunderland with essentially the same team that went 7 (?) games without conceding and you instantly conclude that we’re negative and in desperate trouble if we don’t add one or two players. Extraordinary.

• @micra said:
    And how (relatively) well Phillips played against Ipswich.

No I think he’s been poor in every game bar Reading at start of season. Guy can’t head the ball which is fairly crucial for a defender.

• Phillips doesn’t look good enough at right back. Other than that, and a few defensive errors, the performance hasn’t been as bad as 3-0 suggests. I can’t see us getting back into it though.

• Oh well at least Oxford are losing 3-0 at home LOL! Just a shame it's against Rotherham who will be top tonight.

• @micra said:
    What is it with you guys? We’ve had a nightmare 20 minutes against a fired up Sunderland with essentially the same team that went 7 (?) games without conceding and you instantly conclude that we’re negative and in desperate trouble if we don’t add one or two players. Extraordinary.

Probably don't check the FB page then son.

We're still massively well placed after today / we'd all take it etc etc...but this run of form is exceptionally alarming. And like good runs, bad runs can go on!

• Minor consolation: Oxford 3-0 down at home. The downside of which is Rotherham have taken over at the top.

• @robin said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Are you forgetting how bad Sido was the other week

One mistake but he's still better than Phillips but that's only my opinion.

Was never too sure on Phillips, but people seemed to like what the saw of him early season.
    He looks a bit too much like a player who is all too tidy in academy / U23 type football, with the emphasis on proper football to feet, but doesn't look physical enough for my liking to be a centre back.

• @Chris said:
    Phillips doesn’t look good enough at right back. Other than that, and a few defensive errors, the performance hasn’t been as bad as 3-0 suggests. I can’t see us getting back into it though.

Unfortunately Sido or Phillips are no where near good enough to replace Grimmer.... why we desperately need him back

• @micra said:
    What is it with you guys? We’ve had a nightmare 20 minutes against a fired up Sunderland with essentially the same team that went 7 (?) games without conceding and you instantly conclude that we’re negative and in desperate trouble if we don’t add one or two players. Extraordinary.

I don't think we are "instantly" concluding anything. I concluded this when we were top months back, and you were one of a few that batted me down when I identified this run of games as our sticking point. I don't think 1 point out of a possible 15 is instantly concluding anything other than the fact that we need more if we want to challenge. Excuse me if I'm wrong.

• who’d bet against us coming back and winning 4-3?

Me. I would.

• Oh @Malone ! Even you.
    I’ve stopped looking at Facebook.

• You’re risk averse, eh @TheDancingYak ?

• @micra said:
    Oh @Malone ! Even you.
    I’ve stopped looking at Facebook.

See if we can have a positive half, then we forget today, get everyone one week fitter, get Fred and Grimmer back in there, and all is still pretty rosy. As long as we get back into what we were doing early season.

• This is swings and roundabouts. It is important not to overreact to good runs OR bad runs. We have massively overachieved with a small swuad and injuries. Let's get behind the team and see where the season goes!

• @Malone said:

See if we can have a positive half, then we forget today, get everyone one week fitter, get Fred and Grimmer back in there, and all is still pretty rosy. As long as we get back into what we were doing early season.

Let's win the 2nd half at least. Don't want to get completely embarrassed by those gobsh**es!

I really want to know when the hell Fred will be back. Does anyone even know what's actually wrong with him?

• @micra said:
    And how (relatively) well Phillips played against Ipswich.

I thought he was the weak spot in that game. Sido makes the odd mistake but isn’t regularly in the wrong place like Phillips.

Exceptionally tough series of games though and I think we can all agree top spot was a bit flattering. I shall still be delighted if we can make the playoffs.