Skip to content

Comments

• Every article demonstrates the wokeness of you bravo

• Missed opportunity to ask him how he squares his progressive political philosophy with playing for a club such as MK Dons in my opinion

Would be an interesting discussion to have with him I think

• edited January 2020

A Wycombe fan raised that with him rather aggressively on Twitter before the Burton game. Something he'd discuss I'm sure - in fact, he briefly debated it in that instance - but I sent those questions to the club not long after that and it felt a bit soon.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Every article demonstrates the wokeness of you bravo

Me no understand.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    A Wycombe fan raised that with him rather aggressively on Twitter before the Burton game.

Makes you proud.

• Certainly an interesting interview though @chairboyscentral . Considering we were all expecting Fred to be our talisman, Wheeler is one of the 'finds' of the season for GA I think.

• He's a great bloke and certainly one of the players of the season so far.

• Love “bloke”. I get stick from some of my contemporaries for using “guy” (especially the plural unisex version for a mixed gender group) but I like to think that I have simply moved with the times. Until quite recently, I used to slightly affronted when a south London friend (the Charlton one) called me (me!) “mate” but I’ve recently slipped into the vernacular myself and feel quite good about it. Mild (?) autism/pedantry has a lot to answer for.

But “bloke” is great and has interesting origins. It’s thought to derive from Shelta, a secret language of Welsh and Irish Travellers (or possibly from Romany, the language of the Rom gypsies). These languages have their roots in Hindi and one school of thought is that bloke may have derived from the Hindi word “loke” - a man.

End of anecdote!

• @micra I don't come on here for the learning...

• But some of us do @Wendoverman, so thanks @micra

• @Wendoverman said:
    @micra I don't come on here for the learning...

Oh yes you do. You soak it up like a sponge.

Thanks @bookertease. I don’t feel so bad now about my self-indulgence. Me, me, me as @Croider would say (even though I know he’s a decent bloke).

• Now that you have progressed to "mate" acceptance and have an affinity to "bloke" what's your view on "geezer"? Origins of which are debated, either from disguiser sort of a medieval trick or treater, or perhaps from the Dutch "gozer" meaning bloke, you chose.

• I always think of one of those old water heaters when anyone mentions geezers although I think that is spelt “geysers”. Also hot water springs gushing out of the ground. I won’t adopt it but as an honorary Bucks Old Boy I might use “chap” occasionally. The late Cyril Rance (81 years a Blues supporter) always greeted me with “hello chap”.

• Any adoption of "dude" in the offing?

• For those of use who have to suffer loving over the boarder ‘bud’ or ‘buddy’ are still well worn Oxfordshire terms of friendship. Back in the day did this greeting stretch up into the Chiltern Hills? Have a feeling it did.

• loving! - all too rarely. ‘living’!
  • Neither dude nor babe @Ozzie_the_Relaxed. No way, man.

• Having said that, I just cast my eye towards the mug tree and realised that my Jamie Oliver Cheeky Mug has “COOL DUDE” emblazoned on it. “BIG FELLA” is reserved for my USaphile son-in-law.

• Alright me ole cocker!

• Goodnight me old china.

• Amazingly, "dude" dates back to the 1800s. I would have guessed the 60s.

• @perfidious_albion: if you were running a B&B loving over the boarder might be quite a perk.

• Enjoyed that one @micra.

• @Shev said:
    Amazingly, "dude" dates back to the 1800s. I would have guessed the 60s.

For someone from the colonies I would have thought you'd have known it was widely used in the Wild West about those 'Dudes from the East'.
    Unless it was just widely used in 1960s Westerns...

• @Wendoverman - I am actually a Dudeland/Blokeland dual citizen, and grew up in Blokeland, so I am still learning the ways of the Dude...

• What about 'pal'? That seems to be a distinctly northern one.

• As an exiled Northerner I am intrigued as to the difference in colloquial language amongst Bucks Natives / Semi-Natives.

Whilst at college down here (Amersham) I recognised all 3 varieties of individuals who you have mentioned. All of whom all had their own unique characteristics.

-First was the 'Dude' person. Normally drank socially at the 'The Hobgoblin' (now the 'The Three Tuns'). Usually extremely friendly, sound knowledge of world music. Probably more aligned to a US pop punk scene than anything UK based. Likely to have their wallet hanging from the end of a silver chain attached to a belt loop

-Second was the 'Bloke' person. Found in the falcon / Bulters, slightly more suspicious than your dude person but friendly enough once you get to know them. I would find it stressful leaving them in the company of a 'Newbie' for fear of awkward silences. More aligned to an Oasis / The Jam vibe. More likely than any of the other types to carry a £50 note as the odds are they are a college apprentice / moving in to the trades

-Thirdly was the 'Guy' person. Most likely to replace a 't' with a 'd' in words such 'visiting'. Again very friendly but flaky with plans. Says things like "Definitely up for that mate (made)" never to be seen again. When he does get out - he drinks the strongest beer on the menu and gets more f*Cked than anyone. Not really interest in a music scene and generally listens to the charts. More than likely does not live near Wycombe but out on the sticks near Amersham.

Are there any other Wycombe terms I am missing? I hear 'Boi' a lot in the local pubs.

• I'm a fella fella.

• is wotcha mainly a Bucks thing?

Haven't ever really heard it elsewhere

• @eric_plant said:
    is wotcha mainly a Bucks thing?

Haven't ever really heard it elsewhere

Everyone seemed to say it when I first loved down to that London so not sure it's a Bucks thing...