Skip to content

We’ll be wearing the away kit at home to Rochdale

Comments

• edited January 2020

v

• The Rhubarb and Custard Derby, all in the name of a vital cause.

• Can they wear a white kit against Rotherham so that I can celebrate my wedding Anniversary, along with all those other oldies who also married just before April 5th to get a tax rebate ?

• oh if only the great Edmund Monsoon were still here to cherish this excellent thread title.

• Not sure “cherish it” is quite how he’d react. Fit of apoplexy might be nearer the mark! But even he (particularly he, I think) would be sympathetic to such a worthy and highly topical cause.

• I think you're right @micra. It's always obvious who only knows Monsoon from the Gasroom and those who have had the pleasure of his company in real life.

As a one-off for a worthy cause it's just about tolerable, but lets hope we don't find six worthy causes next year.

• I agree as a one off only. I have the pleasure of knowing Mr Monsoon and enjoying many a fascinating conversation with him on matters sporting he still favours Multple FA cup replays and has no truck with one day cricket. Power to his elbow!

• edited January 2020

Hopefully this can become a once-a-season thing - although we'd have to keep having bright away kits.

• Personally, although I support the initiative I don’t like the simplistic way it’s being promoted.

Had I been charged with doing this (& subject to Adam’s agreement) I’d have had a special shirt made with “Samaritans” on it plus their phone number.

After the match I’d have had the shirts framed and placed strategically around the ground in the bars and concourses so they’re there all year round as well as having the special day on Jan 18th.

• Nice idea @A_Worboys .. I know it's a good cause, but I hate not wearing the quarters, epsc at home, it's our kit and what makes us stand apart from other boring one colour kits !

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Hopefully this can become a once-a-season thing - although we'd have to keep having bright away kits.

This or somehting with another charity - Doncaster wore their green kit against Sunderland in partnership with CALM. Some things are more important than wearing your home colours...

• I like @A_Worboys's idea, assuming the special shirt was still the quarters, because it would be more useful to the charity to have a long lasting presence. The club can still take up a similar idea but shirts with Samaritans on is a powerful image.

No matter how beneficial this initiative is, it goes against the grain for me to not wear our colours at home. I will be wearing my blue scarf and hat as normal.

• A shirt with Samaritans on would be powerful, but the club are still doing a good thing which should draw attention to a very worthy cause.

• Thumbs down for suggesting more charity partnerships similar to this? Wow. Kit colour is not important here; preventing people from taking their own lives and helping those in dark places in general is.

• @chairboyscentral I’m in total agreement with you and the club if it helps only 1 person it’s more than worthwhile. Perhaps it could be done every year.

• Sometimes there are things more important than worrying about playing in our away kit at home.

• I agree, if it helps people then it's a good thing. I really hope it does.

I will also add that any attempt to market or sell the yellow kit in conjunction with it would be tawdry in the extreme.

• It's a false choice, though, isn't it? I'm delighted that the club wants to support such a good cause, but this isn't the only way to do that. Personally I find this a disappointing means of showing support, because I also place high value on us wearing our traditional colours whenever we can.

It also begs questions about the club charter, which says: "WWFC commit to the first team wearing the first-choice kit at all opportunities where the kit does not clash with that of the opposition. "

• edited January 2020

There are good points well made by both sides (I personally don't think not playing in the quarters as necessary though I wholeheartedly support the club's support of the charity in other ways), though I wonder who the club/WWT consulted as to whether there would be any drawbacks to this?

• edited January 2020

It's obviously a worthy cause, but there are millions of worthy causes- certainly more than 24, so we could quite easily never play in quarters in the name of "good causes" by that logic.

• I dont think anyone would question the clubs ambition to raise awareness of a worthy cause (indeed, they havent). However, is this the best way to raise awareness/money, or it is just a clever play on words that actually involves very little groundwork from the club or organise and might well result in a few more sales of the yellow kit? I remember when we played in a Scannerappeal kit as a one off a few years ago, and then the kits were sold off to raise money (infact, I have one of them). This 'stunt' isnt really going to raise any awareness outside of the club and supporters, most of whom I would suspect are already aware of the campaign, or similar ones like it. I don't want to critise the motivations behind it, however I think there are more effective ways of championing this worthy cause (and other similarly worthy causes)

• I'm down with the cause, but this image makes the whole thing just look like a marketing stunt for Dormeo. The Samaritans logo is almost camouflaged down there in the corner.

• My thoughts exactly @Tom. The more i've thought about it, the more proud i am that we're doing something about a serious issue, but the more worried i am that we're doing it in a way that makes that issue seem trivial.
    'Having a hard time, come and see two brightly coloured football teams play.' I'm struggling to see a tangible benefit to the Samaritans or those that need their help.

• I disagree. We shouldn’t get too anal about the format. There has been a considerable increase in awareness of (and sensitivity towards) mental illness in the last few years and I think supporters will give very generously on the day. I sincerely hope so.

• @drcongo said:

I'm down with the cause, but this image makes the whole thing just look like a marketing stunt for Dormeo. The Samaritans logo is almost camouflaged down there in the corner.

That is appalling. Why is Dormeo even mentioned on there at all?

• As Rochdale are likely to be sporting their second choice pink change shirts, they could perhaps pitch in with a bit of support for the breast cancer charity*. (If they wore their usual blue and black striped shirts it would detract from the “anything but blue” theme”.)

*apologies if this offends anyone; it’s great that this thread has sparked such a lively debate.

• @drcongo said:

I'm down with the cause, but this image makes the whole thing just look like a marketing stunt for Dormeo. The Samaritans logo is almost camouflaged down there in the corner.

There does seem to be a deliberate effort underway to give Dormeo more for their sponsorship money:

• That is appalling. Why is Dormeo even mentioned on there at all?

My guess is they will have made a charitable donation

• Let’s hope so. They showed considerable generosity on the occasion of Blooms’ 500th appearance - an Octaspring 9500 mattress - a very luxurious (and expensive) item and it seems several players and many supporters have also invested in their wares. Very valuable sponsors.