Skip to content

Phil Parkinson's thoughts on Wycombe

I mean, he's done his homework...

...on what other managers say before they play us.

Comments

• (In fairness, he's not wrong, but how many have said the same and not been able to "deal with that"?)

• to be fair, he has played us twice this season.

• and also every team he has ever managed has played like Barcelona

• I'd be more worried about teams that play like Liverpool nowadays.

• @our_frank said:
    to be fair, he has played us twice this season.

Forgot about that!

• I think the press officers frown on them saying 'shithousery' :smile:
    Of all the games, and given their position and their fans this is one game I would love to win - again.
    Hat-trick of victories over PP?

• Ok, we’re not exactly the Barcelona of League One, but we’ve got more points than anyone else and that’s all that matters. Play to your strengths, one of the oldest maxims in football.

• One of my fondest memories of ‘Parky’ was him flailing, staggering and ending up on his arse as we scored one of our 5 against Reading in that 5-3 tonking.

• I forgot about "disrupting the flow of the game" among the other more celebrated cliches. As if Wycombe players are plonking their muddy feet in a sparkling current of wonderment, and defiling it.

How dare we win free kicks and boot the ball out for throw-ins, and thereby damage the swan-like delicate ballet of our opponents!

• At least he's stopped over gelling his hair

• There's only about 3 teams in our league who try to play genuine short passing, possession based football. I wouldn't class Sunderland as one of those teams.

All other clubs in this league, SAFC included, are just offering varying degrees of longball by the standards of any elite division.

Because WWFC are on the extreme of longball with Bayo on the pitch seems to give all these other clubs a newfound superiority complex around their own style of their play.

• @OxfordBlue Oxford, Coventry and... Rochdale?

• Shrewsbury, too?

• Peterborough?

• Yeah, get rid of Rochdale as they at least have a plan B of playing long balls to Wilbraham and especially Andrew. I got quite frustrated with Leeds the other night, watching them try to play through Arsenal even when chasing the game deep into stoppage time, but I guess some teams are just so set in their philosophy.

• Borderline bringing the game into disrepute comments there, surely?

One small step of accusing us of cheating?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    There's only about 3 teams in our league who try to play genuine short passing, possession based football. I wouldn't class Sunderland as one of those teams.

All other clubs in this league, SAFC included, are just offering varying degrees of longball by the standards of any elite division.

Because WWFC are on the extreme of longball with Bayo on the pitch seems to give all these other clubs a newfound superiority complex around their own style of their play.

Good point.
    Pretty sure that they lined up against us at Adams Park with some lanky streak of pish up front, whom they wellied it to.

Just because they don't use a target man as effectively as us isn't our fault.

• They are a big side and we are little Wycombe, making a brave fist of things, who can only dream of the resources Sunderland have and they know what they are going to get and they have to be ready for that. This management lark sounds easy. I'm getting my application in to replace him today...

• Our left-back has scored more goals than the three strikers they've used this season have between them.

• It is a massive game for the shape of both club's seasons
    If they win, they're suddenly within 6 points, with a game in hand.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Our left-back has scored more goals than the three strikers they've used this season have between them.

Don't tempt fate...there are signs that PP is 'turning it round'.
    Hopefully we will be a sign that he isn't...

• Rolando Aarons wins it with a thumping volley in stoppage time and is paraded through the streets back to Newcastle - only for us to decide en route that actually, we'd like to keep hold of him.

• If he gets a choice...I reckon Rolando will stay. Not too many times in your career you get to experience life at the top of the table. I fear he isn't going to get it with the 'Toon any time soon.

• I suppose it depends on whether we'd gain more from letting him return and freeing up a bit of money - assuming we are contributing to his wages.

• That "cost-benefit" term pops up again as it is bound to do with our budget.

• Might also depend on whether or not Kashket is banned and, if so, for how long - not that we're likely to find out between now and Monday.

• The Mackems forum is excited/worried that PP might sign Gary Madine as he's been released by Cardiff. Seems some are put off by two convictions for violence (one a custodial sentence) and a rumour he glassed a family member recently who did not report it to police as it would have meant him going back inside. Nice.

• Looks like he edits his own Wikipedia page too.

• Talking of signings, PP has 50 minutes to complete and submit the paperwork for the two strikers he has been chasing.

• For them to be able to play tomorrow, that is.