Skip to content

Glenn Whelan

Glenn Whelan. Many of you may have heard of this name. 603 games in his entire career with 85 caps for the Republic of Ireland. He has just been released by Hearts after some behind the scenes stuff.

He would make a perfect signing would he not? He would be one of those Ainsworth signings who despite past their best, is still an excellent player. You can argue you may not need him at this moment but with Gape prone to be snapped up by a higher club as well as Bloomfield starting too age, he would make a very good replacement. He is 35 but still has the ability of someone for the championship. Considering we have more of a wage budget than before, this is someone I would consider signing if I was Ainsworth.

Thoughts?

Comments

• He's a crab.

• Loved by the prawn sandwich brigade

• Most of the posters on the Hearts forum seem pleased he has gone. Lack of effort and not training are points made. So no I don't think he would fit in with us.

• Where are people getting this extra wage budget from? There is none.

• The standard at Hearts is poor, remember Sutton at WW, very average, a star I the Scottish Prem.

• Not for me thank you

• Potential transfer targets suggested by our fans this window, all unrealistic to varying degress:

Glenn Whelan
    Lyle Taylor (yes, really)
    Danny Hylton
    Joe Ledley
    Josh Scowen
    John Akinde

• Would be the least wise signing since Neil Lennon strolled round our midfield for a few games.

• Don’t forget Darren Bent.

• @Chris said:
    Don’t forget Darren Bent.

We can blame Bayo for that one.

• Talking of Scowen, I gather from a colleague that he has taken himself off twitter owing to the abuse he was getting from QPR fans and that's why he didn't celebrate his wonder goal at the weekend.

So whilst it might not be to us, there is a chance he wants to leave

• I thought the takeover should have been done by now. Presumably no business until this is the case?

As for Whelan no thanks ....

• Set for completion on Friday 10th

• God my lack of realistic suggestions on the gasroom are really starting to show!

• @eric_plant said:
    Talking of Scowen, I gather from a colleague that he has taken himself off twitter owing to the abuse he was getting from QPR fans and that's why he didn't celebrate his wonder goal at the weekend.

So whilst it might not be to us, there is a chance he wants to leave

Scowen is too good for our 'tinpot club.' But wait, why would I suggest signing Glenn Whelan was a good idea?

Realistically Scowen is too good for League One though. Despite looking like the most realistic of targets we could get it looks almost certain that it would not happen.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Potential transfer targets suggested by our fans this window, all unrealistic to varying degress:

Glenn Whelan
    Danny Hylton
    Joe Ledley
    Josh Scowen
    John Akinde

Tom Elliott from @bigred87.......

• Since Ainsworth came in im pretty sure he's made a signing in every window..... I'll eat my hat if he doesn't make at least 1 in this window..... we are pushing for promotion

• I really need regular football...soon! I am on the edge of starting a "What condiment would each Wycombe player be and why?" thread.

• @bigred87 I hope you've troosered your money like me and don't keep it under your hat laddie!

• Harry Windsor has become a free agent. Worth a look? Lives quite locally.

• YCMIU.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Potential transfer targets suggested by our fans this window, all unrealistic to varying degress:

Glenn Whelan
    Danny Hylton
    Joe Ledley
    Josh Scowen
    John Akinde

You obviously do far greater research than the other 99% on here @chairboyscentral but did you think it was realistic in June that we would be signing Aarons, Fred and Smyth?

John Akinde is realistic for the reasons I mentioned above. You might not think it makes sense, but financially players leave clubs all the time unexpectedly. Some may not demand anywhere near the money you claim to know they would all want. I could quite easily see as Scowen take a temp wage drop to sign for us until the end of the season if he was unhappy.

• Assuming, reasonably I hope, that the injuries to Thomp and Gapeson are relatively minor, I just don’t see the case for re-signing wee Josh.

• edited January 2020

@Bacon_Sandwich said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Glenn Whelan
    Danny Hylton
    Joe Ledley
    Josh Scowen
    John Akinde

You obviously do far greater research than the other 99% on here @chairboyscentral but did you think it was realistic in June that we would be signing Aarons, Fred and Smyth?

John Akinde is realistic for the reasons I mentioned above. You might not think it makes sense, but financially players leave clubs all the time unexpectedly. Some may not demand anywhere near the money you claim to know they would all want. I could quite easily see as Scowen take a temp wage drop to sign for us until the end of the season if he was unhappy.

Fred and Smyth were perfectly realistic signings - not in June, because the budget had been slashed at that stage, but once the Couhigs appeared on the scene. Aarons was a surprise to all of us, I'm sure, but he was restricted in terms of where he could go (division-wise).

Akinde is contracted until June 2021 and we don't have the money to pay any transfer fees. For that reason, its a non-starter. Also, he wouldn't be a worthwhile addition the squad - Bayo and Samuel already share that role, with Parker or Wheeler the other options should both be unavailable. Plus Bayo is obviously unique, so Akinde wouldn't even be a 'back-up Beast'.

• Scowen on loan is the most realistic of the lot, but he's been in the matchday squad for QPR pretty much every game this season and had a solid run of starts about November time.

• @micra said:
    Assuming, reasonably I hope, that the injuries to Thomp and Gapeson are relatively minor, I just don’t see the case for re-signing wee Josh.

seriously? You don't think Scowen is better than both of those players?

• Scowen would need a fee, so would Akinde, so I think that immediately rules us out.

If by some miracle we could scrape together an offer for Scowen he'd be an excellent signing, would add quality in midfield, and also be much improved cover for Grimmer.

• Scowen would easily be the best player in the squad, and there is no way we sign him.

• I honestly don’t know @eric_plant because I’ve not seen him play since he departed but if, as I believe, he’s not a regular for QPR, I doubt whether he represents a sufficiently clear cut improvement on Gape and Thompson to justify risking upset to the bandwagon.