Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• you did dot the I, but crossed out the T.

• @fame46 this is a forum for fans of Wycombe wanderers thus the subjects discussed on the whole tend to be those (drums/beer/fa cup tickets/singing/limbs/headbutting) that interest fans of the club. Genocide/dictatorships/climate are not generally at the top of the list of people here.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IMO this is a question of supporting the team in the best way possible and keeping the togetherness of the support. I started off quite pro drum but having seen the divisiveness it caused I moderated my stance. Being on the Terrace on NYD I realized that the atmosphere created without the drum was not worse than with it, possibly even better as we were more united behind the team.

It does seem from reports of those in other parts of the ground that the sound resounds more from the away end. Would people be willing to swap ends if it was feasible or could increase away attendance whilst decreasing their noise projection? Might need it's own thread this but it is an interesting intellectual exercise to gauge the general feeling about it.

• It seems like the back few steps of the Valley End have always been more about posturing than supporting.

• edited January 2020

The away end is always far more audible from the side of the ground, but I think there would be too many obstacles to overcome for the ends to be swapped. Would you want away fans streaming through the car park? Although I'm sure they would still stand, would home fans be ok with a seated stand? Does the current home end hold enough for large away followings?

• edited January 2020

Personally, I like it when clubs put the away fans in a corner or at the side (well, unless I am an away fan haha), but I'm not sure that would be possible at Adams Park?

• edited January 2020

post deleted

• Why do you have to be so rude and offensive?

• Crawl back under your stone please Richie.

• @rmjlondon Any more of that and I'll just ban you again.

• Power trip much !!!

• Cov 1-0 down early on in their FA Cup third round tie at Bristol Rovers. Could do with them losing to stop the fixture backlog increasing. We're going to lose whenever we play them anyway...

• edited January 2020

post deleted

• Ha - looks like we want the pair of them to draw the winners of Tranmere / Watford.

• @floyd said:
    It seems like the back few steps of the Valley End have always been more about posturing than supporting.

That is where most of the chants start in my experience so just plain wrong.

• @NorsQuarters said:

@floyd said:
    It seems like the back few steps of the Valley End have always been more about posturing than supporting.

That is where most of the chants start in my experience so just plain wrong.

Yup.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The away end is always far more audible from the side of the ground, but I think there would be too many obstacles to overcome for the ends to be swapped. Would you want away fans streaming through the car park? Although I'm sure they would still stand, would home fans be ok with a seated stand? Does the current home end hold enough for large away followings?

It would have to be part of a major reconstruction, thinking back to the thread on expansion of the away end being limited by the pylon. Thought was of putting another layer on top thereby having enough capacity for regular Championship away followings. Seats could be distributed accordingly so some could sit and some stand in both ends. Anyway, just a thought to gauge reaction and judging by Richie's the Facebook followers would be up in arms. Might eventually be a consideration though.

• A 'double-decker' stand like at Brentford/Southend?

• Any future progress certainly needs an extension of capacity.

The 10,000 is the limit due to the 1 access road. But at the moment we seem to be working to an actual limit in the 8700-8800 sort of mixer.

Whether the Couhigs are in it long enough for a new stadium to be planned, agreed, paid for and created is anyone's guess, so maybe the idea of increasing the away end might be a goer. Put an extra 1,000 on there, and that's not a bad addition.

But you certainly can't switch home and away ends for a lot of the reasons people already have mentioned, plus it has lesser capacity than the away end anyway. And it's that away capacity we could really milk with the size of the teams we'd be playing if we went up

• I'm not sure if this is a terrible idea, but could we turn the away end into another home end and put the away fans in either the Frank Adams or family stand?

• That’s a terrible idea!

• Away end has to be that end as access / policing demands quick / minimal disruption to traffic flow.
    Home end double decker is next capacity increase plan as and when required.
    Championship away capacity accommodation in ‘away end’ of Frank Adams access via steps at away end, minimal build / infrastructure cost with netting in line with edge of penalty box.
    Takes capacity to 15k, all fine and sustainable for first Championship season. It’s all in the plan.

• “Takes capacity to 15,000?” Really?

• Sorry @perfidious_albion. I’m terrible at spotting irony. Now, if it had been @Wendoverman ......

• I've not been keen on away fans directly above home fans ever since that flare incident at Sunderland v Pompey.

• You can't have away fans next to the family stand. That's a non starter. Not to mention the marshalling nightmare of having a hoard of fans able to storm the pitch from that area.

You don't want them above you either for obvious reasons.

So at the moment we are limited to the current away end, and a few blocks In the main stand.

That double decker stand sounds a good idea, maybe one for the home end too.
    I wonder if the wining and dining our glorious councillors has already happened in earnest. The Wasps situation showed that they aren't made out of stone.

• Oh, I meant a double-decker at the home end as I didn't think we could expand the away end due to the pylon?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Oh, I meant a double-decker at the home end as I didn't think we could expand the away end due to the pylon?

Yes, good point. That pylon, I think they said would cost millions to deal with, so you wonder if there actually is a point in upgrading the ground slightly, versus a move?

We would soon see the council's true colours if they reject say, the Booker site, that they were so keen on with Wasps.

• Build a new one on the site of the ski slope ?