Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• I reckon JJ probably can because he probably doesn't expend himself like many others do - not as if he's running around like a Gape or Thompson! I'd be knackered, but I'm sure he'll be fine! I think Mascoll has potential, but this would a massive game for him to start.

• A nice 10 day break to the next game as well will be useful.

Just hope they don't schedule Coventry away in any time soon... we don't want to be playing them.

• Yeah, due for 25th Jan but subject to change. I'll be willing them on in the FA Cup!

• edited December 2019

Gaffa messed up playing Thompson against Coventry, a player that limped off at Portsmouth was never gonna be ready 3 days later, should had dropped Blooms back and started Freeman, but it was no surprise, he’s been doing this for several years, playing players continuously till their bodies eventually give up, we have a bigger and better squad now where we could rest Gape and Thompson with rotation on weeks where we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, isn’t prevention/rest of potential injury better than replacing an injured player, that’s why we have a squad
    With this in mind and the way the results have gone, the team would probably be
    Allsop, Jacobson, Charles, Stewart, Giles, ofaborh, Blooms, Freeman, Wheeler, smyth, Samuels,
    A bit different but I feel opposition train all week to stop Bayo and then they have to change tactics if he doesn’t start, also when he does come on, they don’t know how to handle him,

• I agree with that but not sure if Blooms will start - he hasn't started a game so soon after playing 90 minutes so far this season - and I think Parker is absolutely worth a go starting through the middle, although I imagine it will be Samuel.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I reckon Ofoborh can manage another start if not 90 minutes, but Blooms hasn't started a game all season so soon after playing the whole previous game. Maybe Ofoborh in the deep role with Pattison and Freeman ahead? I would be surprised if Thompson starts.

I like the idea of this midfield:
    Ofoborh
    Pattison - Freeman

But I fear Bloomfield will start, captain the side against his former team...

Also agree with starting Parker in the central role - think he could add some spark and goals

• It'd be pretty brave to give Parker what must be his first start outside of the Checkatrade?
    Ipswich are on a poor run, but we mustn't forget, this is still a team who were romping the league, before erm...we started doing so :)

• Id actually like to see Parker play abit more esp down the middle not this game tho.

• When does Charles contract end? Aarons loan period end? I thought we may have seen some news.

• Aarons loan period ends on 13 January. Perhaps we'll drop him off on the way back from Sunderland.
    Charles contract expires January - not sure it was ever disclosed exactly when in the month but as he played on Wednesday presumably later than the first.

Surely strong favourite here is that Aarons will leave but Charles stay.

• Whether we even try and keep Aarons will surely largely depend on Fred's fitness, as well as how much we're actually playing, and what other loans we could bring in if he did return

• Itd be a huge shock if Charles didn't stay on.

Aarons has to be 50-50.
    We've certainly not seen his best and it's been a really frustrating in and out period for him.

Will be interesting to see if it's even our decision to make. If it is our decision and he goes back, it'll be promising and surely mean there's a better option afoot.

• It'd be curtains for our promotion chances if Charles didn't stay on. He's been that important to us this season.

It's also worth saying that I imagine Charles will be rightly asking for (and getting) a hefty pay increase compared to the short-term deal he signed last year. This will no doubt eat into our wage budget, and may potentially need to be freed-up by a loanee.

• Charles is contracted until this month, which might mean that his deal runs until the end of it. I suspect we'll see movement on that front once the takeover is completed. He won't leave; it's obviously working for him here in terms of managing his condition and whatever else.

• Agree with @chairboyscentral I reckon Darius will stay without demanding a bank-busting raise as he won't necessarily get the injury management elsewhere and we are a club looking up! Also agree that he is certainly valuable to our defence but - as usual - we should trust Gareth to do what he feels is right. Despite some high profile coming and goings over the last few years he's not done a bad job so far! :smiley:

• I slightly disagree - I suspect we'd have opened talks with him a while back so the fact he hasn't re-signed yet suggests a degree of haggling. As for whether he'd go to another club, perhaps not, but I guarantee there'd be interest.

I do agree though that I fully expect that he will eventually sign.

• Might just be "managing Comms" with Darius, hopefully it'll get done. Haggling doesn't seem to fit his outlook at the moment but there's a chance he was only on buttons to start with due to the injury and he'd rightly feel like he's a big player for us now.

Wasn't there also some suggestion with Aarons that Newcastle Ballsed it up a bit by deciding he wouldn't play for them late on when someone higher may have paid a bigger wage contribution and been more desirable to him if they'd got round to it earlier? He hasn't exactly set the world alight so far as people have suggested but that could work in our favour if we want to keep him.

• the fact he hasn't re-signed yet suggests a degree of haggling.

Surely no one believes this do they? It's much more likely to a case of waiting to the Couhig paperwork to clear.

• Surely no one believes that a player who has gone from near-retirement to our player of the season (so far) would want to negotiate a better deal that their performances deserve?

Yeah you're right, I must be mad.

• I'm not sure anyone is suggesting he would not ask for a better deal...depends on what you would call 'hefty' @Last_Quarter and if too 'hefty' whether the club would pay it.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Surely no one believes that a player who has gone from near-retirement to our player of the season (so far) would want to negotiate a better deal that their performances deserve?

Yeah you're right, I must be mad.

He clearly has every right to gets a deal that suits him.
    But on the other side of things, he'll surely appreciate that we gave him a chance not many would have done after barely playing last season. No-one on here would have kept him on!

• @Last_Quarter Darius comes across as the very last person to hold up a deal over a few pennies.

• I can tell you exactly how much: ZERO. Rule number one of running a bullshit transfer rumour Twitter account: make the handle look at least semi-legit.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I can tell you exactly how much: ZERO. Rule number one of running a bullshit transfer rumour Twitter account: make the handle look at least semi-legit.

Mind, for all that I'm a big fan of him and his character, I'd be delighted to get a fee for him and get another player in.

• Alex ain’t going nowhere.

• @micra said:
    Alex ain’t going nowhere.

A double negative? Could read, is going somewhere...

• Samuel does well for us, but there's no way a championship club are buying a 4-5 goal a season striker from a lower league club!

• @RogertheBandito said:

@micra said:
    Alex ain’t going nowhere.

A double negative? Could read, is going somewhere...

Flippancy on my part @RogertheBandito.
    Late at night. Not deliberately ambivalent!