Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I think most would agree that our four best midfielders are Gape, Thompson, Bloomfield and Ofoborh. I’m not sure which I’d leave out if they were all fit. Probably Blooms.

I really don't get what people are seeing in Bloomfield's performance. I saw a player who didn't contribute anything defensively, was often two yards off the man he was marking and rarely closed him down, didn't create chances for others, barely ever got the ball to our forward line and showed no positional discipline. Ofoborh showed him today how to play an effective midfield role in our system; just like Gape and Thompson so often do. If you want a midfield scurryer then Bloomfield is your man. But I would far prefer someone who linked defence with attack, someone who sprayed balls to our side forwards and allowed them to create chances. And yes, Freeman had a bad match but that was because he was rarely provided with the ball at his feet. Which can't possibly have been the game plan otherwise why start him?

We looked so much more assured when we switched to two up front. Before then our wide forwards were often isolated and starved of opportunity. Bringing Wheeler back into midfield and going wider in the middle made us look so much more balanced and effective.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Some of our legs were visibly tiring after a punishing xmas schedule, so the break enforced by Peterborough's cup exploits will be very welcome.

When asked, in his post-match Caledonian Suite interview, what the feeling was in the changing room after the match, David Wheeler said "knackered". He said that the pitch is very soft at the moment and that you feel it in your legs early in the game.

I know it's the same for both sides but I sense that the pitch is affecting us more, with the intensity of our game. The sticky top was certainly affecting the ball carriers today.

I hear the club couldn't afford to prepare the pitch as normal in the summer, taking off the top surface. Hopefully that will not be the case next summer. All we can do now is wait for it to dry out.

• Very poor from Smyth not to use his left foot for a simple tap in.

I agree with the praise for Ofoborh and Samuel but how good is Charles. His reading of the game is brilliant. Critical goal saving clearance off the line.

• @aloysius said:
    I really don't get what people are seeing in Bloomfield's performance. I saw a player who didn't contribute anything defensively, was often two yards off the man he was marking and rarely closed him down, didn't create chances for others, barely ever got the ball to our forward line and showed no positional discipline. Ofoborh showed him today how to play an effective midfield role in our system; just like Gape and Thompson so often do. If you want a midfield scurryer then Bloomfield is your man. But I would far prefer someone who linked defence with attack, someone who sprayed balls to our side forwards and allowed them to create chances. And yes, Freeman had a bad match but that was because he was rarely provided with the ball at his.

Mate, Blooms is an absolute legend, but that is not why he is keeping younger players out of the team. He constantly harries oppo players and gees up our own troupe so we win more second balls and keep the ball higher up the pitch more often. We really noticed when all our generals bar JJ were off the pitch how much they contribute. They are the backbone of the current squad. I thought Blooms was great today, as was Bayo when he came on. JJ was on it in defence but his aim was off with crosses. We could have nicked it in the end but a point is about right. Their goal was a bit cheeky but a couple of Alsopp's saves and Darius' goalline clearance makes a draw about right.

• Highlights: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/11899164/wycombe-1-1-ipswich

Unfortunately, they don't have Samuel's late effort. Would have liked to see how close it was. Thought, from my view on the wrong side of the terrace, that it was going in.

• I’m usually a Bloomfield believer but I also thought he was pretty ineffective today.

• I think it's fair to say midfield - at least with our current style - is one area in which we don't need to make any January additions.

• Interesting average position map from today, seems to show something between a 4-3-3 and a 4-4-2 even excluding the substitutes - Wheeler is such a versatile player to have on that right-hand side.

• edited January 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    @Onlooker Will he?!

I’m told that’s what he was saying to those in the Woodlands when he was paraded round before the game

• I’m a much happier bunny today, everyone was doing their jobs, special mention for Darius, Samuel and in particular Allsop who made a couple of cracking saves.
    A fair result as both sides could have nicked it. I thought the ref did them a massive favour letting them take a quick free kick.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’m a much happier bunny today, everyone was doing their jobs, special mention for Darius, Samuel and in particular Allsop who made a couple of cracking saves.
    A fair result as both sides could have nicked it. I thought the ref did them a massive favour letting them take a quick free kick.

Why shouldn't he?

• I thought it was more of a 442 from the off today. Wheeler RM, Blooms LM and Smyth/Samuel up top

• Whatever it was worked pretty well, although I'd still like to see Bayo/Wheeler and Smyth together in a front two.

• Not Bloomfield’s biggest fan but thought he was outstanding second half

• If that’s the case, can’t understand why Bloomfield didn’t play centre with Freeman on the wing

• Ipswich fans not impressed with Adams Park in terms of accessibility, kiosks etc. and wondering how we'd cope if we were to go up. I mean, they've got a point. At least the Couhigs are all but in control now, and they should see to the catering side of things, but they're not exactly going to be able to magic up a new road.

• No queue for Rebellion at half time - surely not hard to get a couple of kettles and a jar of Nescafé a la Woodlands and knock them out for £2 a pop

• I did overhear some first time visitors complaining about the length of the queue at the kiosks and that they had given up

• Sounds like they ran out of most hot food in much of the ground and tea and coffee in the Frank Adams, no forks for pies in the Family Stand. No point complaining, though, as you'd expect the Couhigs will see to that straight away. Speaking of which, when is the takeover expected to officially go through?

• edited January 2020

I imagine as regulars on here, we were all nicely in the game with a while to go.

But there must again have been a massive queue down the road with kick off looming, and I think it was around 2.20 or so there was a tweet saying the upper car park was full?

I wonder if part of the Couhig's plans might include persuading more of the industrial units down Hillbottom to open up for parking?

• edited January 2020

That Tweet was before 2, so it must have been carnage for later arrivals.

• @robin said:
    I thought Stewart was outstanding and my motm, i just hope he stays fit for the rest of the season. A few results also went our way today and at least we stopped our losing run and have no game on saturday so hopefully our injured players will be back soon.

I would go for a spec test Mr Robin !!

• Ofoborh my motm though Samuel and wheeler not far behind. I thought phillips did okay today but Grimmer just behind wheeler is certainly a tasty combination.

• Also you cannot deny the defence is a far better proposition with Charles in it.

• What a difference a Darius makes.

• edited January 2020

Still not the true Darius...

• @Onlooker said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I think Fred would have buried it - Smyth would have done 99 times out of 100, just one of those things!

Nice to hear he will be back for Sunderland.

Is Fred’s return really imminent? He was “paraded” round the Woodland Lounge today but time ran out before he got to our table. It sounds out of keeping with the club’s usual policy on release of information about injured players expected availability to suggest specific matches as the likely target for their return. Having said that, I heard the other day that Jack Grimmer expected/hoped to be back for the Sunderland game. With Grimmer, Gape and Thompson back in action and perhaps Fred on the bench, we could travel to the Stadium of Light with a good deal of confidence.

• We looked compact and tenacious today, which is when we are most effective I think. Having been slightly critical of the tactical set up against Coventry, Gaz has to take credit for introducing Bayo when he did. It totally changed the game.

Samuel had an excellent game and really sets the tone for the defensive work that starts from the front. Also though Rocky made some terrific saves.

Ofoborh certainly wins a lot of tackles and interceptions but he isn't anywhere near as good as Dom on the ball, and I feel like I've seen him find row z with speculative shots on too many occasions. Similarly, Phillips looks a half decent player but seems to have a mistake in him most games. Far too easily beaten for the cross which Norwood couldn't quite connect with.

All in all, good to get the point today and to avoid 4 defeats on the spin.

• Much much better all round, Coventry was a blip, a brain fart, just a bad day at the office. When I saw the line up on the team sheets in the Vere pre game I knew what the game plan was (yes still actual "sheets" but as said on the other thread the Vere and most of the ground is in a wifi/phone signal Bermuda Triangle so still sheets for the moment) harried and press them high with Samuel leading efforts furthest up the pitch. He did a great job and his ice bath and physio time is definitely earned. Special mention for blooms. Can't understand the couple of comments on here saying not sure what he adds, his role is key to the high press, he disrupted Town and made it easier for the likes of Ofoborh to play,, and play really well btw and my motm. Blooms is almost playing the Bean role further up the pitch, disrupt and don't let them play. Once I saw the team I knew it was going to be a tough first half to watch at times, then second half stick Bayo on and ravage their defence. Ipswich looked OK in the first half but nothing special, Norwood was trying the sell the ref anything at any opportunity and thought they deserved a couple more yellows than they got for their or at least Norwoods constant shithousery, was glad to see him go off. One of the guys I sit with commented that we were making Ipswich look like a lower league or pub team in the last 20 mins or so, they looked a bit panicked in defence, hoofing it out at every opportunity.
    Overall a great day, big crowd, nice fireworks and probably a fair result and start LL top of the league. Areas to improve match day experience; don't run out rebellion ipa in the Vere before the game, and on busy days need to sort out a fcitly to let smokers exit to puff away without making them queue up again, that was bollox by the door staff and thought this had been sorted as hasn't really been an issue in the Vere for a while now. Also was 10 out on the 50/50 draw, so closer than Cov but still no winner.
    Still top of thof league and the last 30 mins of the second half showed why we are there.
    Roll on Sunderland. COYB.