Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• It's going to be very hard to drop Ofoborh even once Gape is back, and he seems to be getting better with each game - with the exception of Coventry, but did anyone actually play well in that one?

• So important to break that losing run.
    Would have been hard to take if we'd lost to such a sucker punch goal. Stewart clumsy in the challenge, but genius from Ipswich to work it so quickly.

Samuel usual performance. Selfless but can't really see him scoring. Took one heck of a smash just before Wheeler scored.

Ten days to the next game. Really need Grimmer back in there. And that Gape-Thompson combo is so good together.

Interested what happened in the terrace. Row of marshals were near the back for ages and eventually all trooped out with the (ex) drummer in tow. Mouthing off at people as he left! He'll get himself banned unless he sorts himself out.

• Ipswich came out like the clappers after the break. I think they knew they needed a goal before the beast came on. We played some really nice football in the first half without troubling them too much but they knew what was coming so stepped it up I think

• Ipswich didn't look like an out of form team until we equalised and then seemed to lose their shape and nerves set in.

Can only echo everyone else on Ofoborh. MOTM performance among a fair few contenders.

• Freeman has got to give way. Surely even his fan club on here sees that he is just better as an impact sub

• I think most would agree that our four best midfielders are Gape, Thompson, Bloomfield and Ofoborh. I’m not sure which I’d leave out if they were all fit. Probably Blooms.

• I disagree that Freeman is best as an impact sub, but I still wouldn't have him in from the start with everyone fully fit - not on everyone's current form. He does much more with the ball than anyone else, but our system means we don't really play through the midfield. He's not as 'in your face' as others but obviously has his other qualities.

• At half time I read some on fb say Ofoborh needed 3 touches to get every ball under control. I was thinking a little along the same lines, but he definitely improved.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    I think most would agree that our four best midfielders are Gape, Thompson, Bloomfield and Ofoborh. I’m not sure which I’d leave out if they were all fit. Probably Blooms.

There was a spell midway through the first half of the season where Freeman was championed as a definite starter. I think that's worn off a bit now though.

I'm not sure any of Gape, Thompson and Oforborh can match Bloomfield's quite unique role. A quite weird mix of being the furthest forward midfielder, but one who doesn't create, assist, or score nearly any. But it's a key role in this team.

• @Malone said:
    I'm not sure any of Gape, Thompson and Oforborh can match Bloomfield's quite unique role. A quite weird mix of being the furthest forward midfielder, but one who doesn't create, assist, or score nearly any. But it's a key role in this team.

Try telling that to the person behind me repeatedly shouting at him to get off!

• Happy with that result and performance today. A draw was fair and both teams have struggled in their recent matches. Very important for us not losing today. Other results went our way (very funny Oxford losing today when their fans were expecting ‘a win today sees us move into the automatic promotion places.) Coventry result today and second Godden hatrick puts their result against us into perspective. Wow.
    I thought the team played well today. Special mention to Blooms today - he ran his nuts off and was well up for it. I hope he enjoyed the game . Player of the decade indeed !!! My MOM would actually be Samuel today - god, he takes some punishment with his hold up play - the backs of his legs must be black and blue tonight!
    I am one of Freeman’s biggest fans, but even I have to agree with @NorsQuarters comment. Dammit.
    If someone had told me that we would be top of the league and clear by 3 points in January at the start of the season, I would have laughed in their face. It’s all to play for in the second half of the season. COYB!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

Try telling that to the person behind me repeatedly shouting at him to get off!

I'm sure like with almost every fan I've done my fair share of tutting/moaning/loudly exclaiming/shouting out frustrated stuff...

But I've never, or will ever call for one of our players to be taken off. That's bizarre isn't it.

• @Malone said:
    Interested what happened in the terrace. Row of marshals were near the back for ages and eventually all trooped out with the (ex) drummer in tow. Mouthing off at people as he left! He'll get himself banned unless he sorts himself out.

Did he spend the match just shouting “bang bang bang b bang b bang bang bang b bang bang”?

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Did he spend the match just shouting “bang bang bang b bang b bang bang bang b bang bang”?

Brought a bell apparently! Must have got the idea from that Portsmouth geezer he hangs out with at games v them.
    Which you have to applaud the genius in some ways!

Albeit genius that then got him turfed out!

• Not much point starting with Freeman when you basically play without ever using midfield IMO.

Makes sense to pick midfielders who can win you the ball back and protect the back 4. I'd pick Gape, Thompson and Ofoborh unless we change the way we play

• edited January 2020

That last half hour was the first time for four games that I think a neutral observer could see why we might be top of the league. Stirring stuff, and a fantastic fireworks display afterwards. Well done for that, Mr Couhig. 8500 fans there. Unlike Sunday, I could see a number of first-timers thinking they might like to come back again.

• @HCblue said:
    That last half hour was the first time for four games that I think a neutral observer could see why we might be top of the league. Stirring stuff, and a fantastic fireworks display afterwards. Well done for that, Mr Couhig. 8500 fans there. Unlike Sunday, I could see a number of first-timers thinking they might like to come back again.

Agreed, a totally different experience to the Coventry game.

• edited January 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 I assume that was a typo of Eisa?

• Talking about Charles, presumably he's signed a new deal then? Was there any announcement I missed?

As otherwise he was out of contract at the end of Dec wasn't he?

• Anyone amazed that we are top of the league must be equally puzzled that Ipswich were anywhere near there either. Both teams showed little quality but we really got stuck into them by the end. Some of our legs were visibly tiring after a punishing xmas schedule, so the break enforced by Peterborough's cup exploits will be very welcome.

Ofoborh was excellent for us, here there and everywhere for us in midfield. Getting him on a season-long deal looks like a very shrewd move right now.

• Grimmer back will be massive. While Phillips did a decent job, he's obviously not a right-back. Grimmer gives us that little bit extra going forward as well and was forming a great partnership with Wheeler before he got injured.

• My post was not a criticism of Freeman btw, I really like him. I just don't think it makes sense starting with him play the way we play.

When we get Grimmer, Gape and Fred back I reckon we can kick on and grind our way to an unbelievable season

That miss by Smyth today incidentally. I've seen some horrors over the years. Ones from Paul Read, Mark Stallard, Simon Stapleton and Keith Scott spring to mind, but that is right up there. Was genuinely easier to score

• I think Fred would have buried it - Smyth would have done 99 times out of 100, just one of those things!

I think Fred would have buried it - Smyth would have done 99 times out of 100, just one of those things!

Nice to hear he will be back for Sunderland

I think Fred would have buried it - Smyth would have done 99 times out of 100, just one of those things!

I'd have to see it again, but at the time it did seem that Samuel absolutely rocketed it across.

• Yeah, it was a fairly vicious cross, but it still goes down as a missed sitter.

• Lino had his flag up as well. Thus, assume it would have been disallowed for offside had he put it in.