Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• Rumour has it, the drummer has received an email from the club asking him to not bring his drum to games anymore. I suppose from the club's point of view, if it puts 10/20 people off coming every week...that's a decent bit of £ the club misses out on.

• I've just heard the same.

• Wow, now that'd be a big turn of events.

I don't like a mob all getting after one guy, especially one with clear difficulties, but this seems like the inevitable conclusion

• While I have at times found the drumming to be too much, I'm equally concerned that without the drumming the terrace can be very quiet even when we're winning.
    I hope that the club have done the right thing here - probably some action was necessary if enough people have complained - but an outright bam on the drum seems OTT to me.
    Where do the club draw the line in terms of censorship of terrace behaviour? I hope that they are not going to start emailing us individually if some areas of the terrace don't join in with some obnoxious chant about a former player!

• edited December 2019

Have seen a snippet of the email posted by the drummer himself telling him not to bring his drum to the game tomorrow, but I don't know about future games - presumably those too.

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    On that video did I see the guy with the tattooed head next to him? Wouldn’t want to debate the merits of incessant off the rhythm ‘drumming’ with him if it is drummer boys mate.
    With a cold snap forecast is there a chance his topless antics will give him a chill that might lay him up for a game or two?

Can't go off appearance mate.
    He might be the nicest, most reasonable, open to chat, guy you've ever met.

Will leave you to ask though!

He's always been nice enough when I've briefly spoken to him.

@NewburyWanderer said:
    He's a nice guy, yes.
    Have to say that at Portsmouth, where he didn't get into the ground until about 3.15 or so, the atmosphere was totally flat until he arrived, then it instantly improved. Not sure there's as much of a problem with him at away games, as there's generally more and louder singing. At home though, it seems to me that for a lot of the time, there just aren't enough people singing, and those that do don't sing loudly enough. And no, I don't think the acoustics of the terrace are as big a problem as some like to make out. So Tom is drumming away, no-one joins in, and the atmosphere gets fractious.

We're talking about the drummer's "Mate", not the drummer!

There's absolutely no doubt the drummer is a nice guy, but also has his difficulties, so understanding won't b at the levels of a lot of people.

@Malone of course you're right, people talking about the tattooed one!

• It would be a shame not to have the drummer at all. Maybe I have a low threshold for being annoyed, but the first time I have ever wanted less drumming was the Coventry game, when his drumming sounded as fed up as I was feeling.

I remember singing - "give us our drummer back" at an away game a couple of seasons ago when the drum was confiscated.

Crowd noise seems to me to build momentum and it would be a real shame to be quiet tomorrow.

• No issue with a drum used sensibly, can really help boost the atmosphere

• @DJWYC14 said:
    No issue with a drum used sensibly, can really help boost the atmosphere

I think that would be the unanimous opinion of even those who took (and apparently may have voiced to the club) objection to the drumming on Saturday.

• The ‘other’ who makes irregular appearances is rather good. Guss though it’s no drums at all not just Tom’s.

• If I think of the greatest atmospheres I've ever experienced as a Wycombe fan I'm fairly certain none of them involved a drum

• Maybe a wee dram @eric_plant ?!

• Not wrong there old boy!

• Drummer seems to be very unhappy on the Facebook page and is posting some unfortunate stuff he would regret if he thought about it

• Point of note. Mr tattoo man, is a very nice chap to chat to. His other club that he's passionate about is Glasgow Rangers & he was very buoyant after their result Sunday.

• Well that escalated quickly. I watched the video posted earlier and found the “vlogging” more annoying that the drumming, utterly baffling that anyone would watch that for pleasure.

The only thing I’d say about the drumming is that it tends to work best when the drum follows the singing, not the other way around.

• edited December 2019

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Point of note. Mr tattoo man, is a very nice chap to chat to. His other club that he's passionate about is Glasgow Rangers & he was very buoyant after their result Sunday.

A recommendation from you is definitely one I'd take as being worthwhile.
    Have to meet someone in the flesh really don't you, not go on rumour, or looks etc.> @drcongo said:

Well that escalated quickly. I watched the video posted earlier and found the “vlogging” more annoying that the drumming, utterly baffling that anyone would watch that for pleasure.

The only thing I’d say about the drumming is that it tends to work best when the drum follows the singing, not the other way around.

It has moderate interest to us, only because it's at our ground, but even then most of us only found out about it, because of the drumming drama!

The shame is that the drummer actually linked in the video on his twitter, even though if anything it became the final straw in his demise!
    That even a total stranger was totally irritated by the drumming!

• @drcongo said:
    Well that escalated quickly. I watched the video posted earlier and found the “vlogging” more annoying that the drumming, utterly baffling that anyone would watch that for pleasure.

The only thing worse than VAR to afflict football in the 2010s is grown men ‘vlogging’ their match day experiences.

• Oh the huge vanity.

• I respectfully disagree. I have no problem with someone using YouTube to share their interests in an open, enthusiastic way. It's rather what it is there for. One does not have to watch the thing if one is not interested.

• Having only just caught up with the game I think the management team have to take that one on the chin. The tactics were really off and we seemed to have no real plan for dealing with Coventry's shape, other than sit off. Having no press on the ball and then trying to play offside was a disaster. Coventry had an absolute age to pick out runners behind our back line. JJ and Sido also seemed to have no idea if they were supposed to step off the wing backs or challenge them higher up, leaving them doing neither one or the other.

It is very rare that we get it so badly wrong, and normally I think we adapt very well to counter the opposition's strategy. Just a very bad day at the office.

Over the past few seasons we always seem to have the odd game where we look utterly awful, and then typically bounce back fantastically. Fingers crossed that is the case.

• Trust you’re in the States @Glenactico. Or are you really going to town with your New Year celebrations?! Be up in time for this afternoon’s match I hope.

Happy New Year.!

• With respect, @HCblue, one doesn’t know whether it’s sh*te until one’s watched it. Then one can share one’s opinion of it if one wants to.

Personally, of the three I’ve seen in recent times (each following a relevant discussion here with posted link) I thought the Doncaster home last year was an interesting watch, a very genuine account of a day the vlogger found agonising but ‘we’ found incredible. The Ipswich away, when the two young neutral guys who watched in our end and really got into our game management big style, was surprisingly amusing and entertaining. This most recent one was, in contrast, dull and generally devoid of interest.

• Having only just caught up with the game I think the management team have to take that one on the chin. The tactics were really off and we seemed to have no plan for dealing with Coventry's shape. You simply cannot play with no press on the ball and then hold a high line. Coventry had an age to pick out runners behind our back line. JJ and Sido seemed to have no idea if they were supposed to step off the wing backs or challenge them higher up.

It is very rare that we get it so badly wrong, and normally I think we adapt very well to counter the opposition's strategy. Just a very bad day at the office.

@micra said:
    Trust you’re in the States @Glenactico. Or are you really going to town with your New Year celebrations?! Be up in time for this afternoon’s match I hope.

Happy New Year.!

Close enough - Ecuador.

Im not expecting the game today to be on ifollow as it is on sky. But I do have a backup plan in place

• edited January 2020

@LeedsBlue said:
    With respect, @HCblue, one doesn’t know whether it’s sh*te until one’s watched it. Then one can share one’s opinion of it if one wants to.

Personally, of the three I’ve seen in recent times (each following a relevant discussion here with posted link) I thought the Doncaster home last year was an interesting watch, a very genuine account of a day the vlogger found agonising but ‘we’ found incredible. The Ipswich away, when the two young neutral guys who watched in our end and really got into our game management big style, was surprisingly amusing and entertaining. This most recent one was, in contrast, dull and generally devoid of interest.

Well there's that, but my post addressed what seemed to be pretty generic criticism of videos of this type. No-one, I think, would suggest that videos of this sort are ever likely to be life-changing but, with roughly the same level of experience as you describe, I find them to be largely positive and fair-minded and, thus, not susceptible to the previous criticisms. The video in question was relevant for the fact that the disinterested, neutral observer was minded to make the comments about the drumming that he did.

• Re the drumming, let's be honest here the main problem is that one of the drummers is good, and one is not.... unfortunately the one who's not is there all the time. It is a shame to be banned totally as I agree it does add a bit of atmosphere, but he only has himself to blame, unfortunately lm guessing it also means the other chap cant bring his either ?

• Regardless of where each one of us stands on the drumming, I really hope we can sing up for the lads today. An early goal for us would obviously help but let's be the 12th man and reclaim fortress AP!

COYB!

• Good performance - I think we got our mojo back today. Good crowd (8,523) but I thought the atmosphere was rather anaemic without Tom the drummer.

Maybe a quiet word would have been better but this guy goes home & away and does his level best to keep people singing, even when it’s going against us. Without him today we seemed unable to crank up the atmosphere enough to really intimidate the Ipswich players. Our 12th man was dropped today.

• @A_Worboys said:
    Good performance - I think we got our mojo back today. Good crowd (8,523) but I thought the atmosphere was rather anaemic without Tom the drummer.

Maybe a quiet word would have been better but this guy goes home & away and does his level best to keep people singing, even when it’s going against us. Without him today we seemed unable to crank up the atmosphere enough to really intimidate the Ipswich players. Our 12th man was dropped today.

Might have moved on a bit since that, he was there, looks like he brought a bell with him and sounded it after we scored, half the stewards in the stadium and about half a dozen local police then chucked him out. Not entirely sure why but I don't think he'll be in for a cozy chat anytime soon.

• Might not have been as loud as the drum but there was a lot of singing from both sides of the terrace today and it can be argued that was what gave Matty B and others their second wind.