Skip to content

Wanderers moment of the decade

What's your Wanderers moment of the last decade, there's a few to choose from? -

Mine has to be Thomo's goal at Spurs;

This was during my convalescence just weeks after a heart attack, I was up with the rest of you when he scored but got this terrific pain across my chest, I was straight down in my seat while all of you celebrated like loonies all around me - that's a moment I will never forget.

https://peterjemmett.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-year-that-was-part-2-home-recovery.html

Comments

• Good shout fella and hope the next decade brings you good health.

For me it has to be the moment at Plainmoor when the Bristol Rovers score came through and the entire terrace went mental. Hugging complete strangers, seeing grown men crying... just an absolute joy.

• I'm with you on that one @Jocks_little_helper and similarly hope your ticker has recovered.

• I think the Torquay day would win it for me but Beans last minute winner will led get an honourable mention

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think the Torquay day would win it for me but Beans last minute winner will led get an honourable mention

Completely agree. Top 2 for sure.

• On the pitch at Chesterfield with Gareth being carried on top of the crowd

• The Miracle of Plainmoor.

The best high I’ve experienced in sport from an anticipated massive low!

• Torquay and Chesterfield about on a level for me. Also Southend at AP in 2011, and both legs of the Plymouth semi-final, a miracle after the previous season. The Carlisle comeback for sure (and a few other comebacks as well). Can't really say Spurs, as the late defeat was such a disappointment.

• The Plymouth away semi-final, their end lit up with phones and us singing "Don't worry 'bout a thing..."

Honourable mentions for the final whistle at Chesterfield and Danny Hylton sending the penalty at Oxford into orbit.

• All the above were brilliant, it’s been stiller coaster decade. But it has to be standing in the away end at the final whistle at Torquay - without that all that has happened since would never have happened.

• *roller coaster!!

• The moment the Bristol Rovers result was confirmed at Torquay was an explosion of existential euphoria

Might just be the moment of any decade

• Torquay for me too. Incredible day.

• I feel guilty about jumping on the Torquay bandwagon as I wasn’t actually there but taking both hands off the wheel punching the air/roof of the car while driving over the Snake Pass with a car full of kids when they went to the commentator on air on Radio 5 at Bristol (for about the 30th time it seemed) for an update about how close they were getting to hear him calmly say it’s over was definitely a moment.

Honourable mentions as above for Thompson’s goal at WHL (bit like Cousins against Coventry many years earlier - total euphoria followed closely by the comedown), Bean’s goal and Chesterfield away.

Special mention as well for the moment we got our club back from Hayes. I know we’ve practically given it away again but it does feel we weren’t actually bullied into it this time.

• I’d go with Paul Hayes’ goal at Spurs, at that moment I thought we’re not here to make up the numbers but we’re really going to do something. Oh yes and I’m still bitter about the “Lets play until the big team scores again ”version of injury time.

• edited December 2019

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Good shout fella and hope the next decade brings you good health.

For me it has to be the moment at Plainmoor when the Bristol Rovers score came through and the entire terrace went mental. Hugging complete strangers, seeing grown men crying... just an absolute joy.

I read someone described it as a "gutteral roar" being let out.
    Then seeing Bloomfield leaping around celebrating with there still being a min or two to go.
    Gaz coming over, leaping onto the cross bar and grabbing that "Believe" sign.

Without doubt the moments of the decade.

The promotion at Chesterfield just behind.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’d go with Paul Hayes’ goal at Spurs, at that moment I thought we’re not here to make up the numbers but we’re really going to do something. Oh yes and I’m still bitter about the “Lets play until the big team scores again ”version of injury time.

Still gutted about Blackman's dreadful kick.

10 yards further to the left, and it's out for a throw, and most likely we manage the game out.

• @Malone said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’d go with Paul Hayes’ goal at Spurs, at that moment I thought we’re not here to make up the numbers but we’re really going to do something. Oh yes and I’m still bitter about the “Lets play until the big team scores again ”version of injury time.

10 yards further to the left, and it's out for a throw, and most likely we manage the game out.

Sounds like a contender for ‘worst moment of the decade’ (which is probably a more contentious field)

• @Malone said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:

Yes I’ve tried to block that memory he literally passed the ball to Alli

• Just watched the highlights on YouTube, so many little things I’d forgot about the game.

Spurs going down to 10 men due to an injury, Hayes miss in the first minute, I remembered that volley though as I was right on line with it, what a beauty that was.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just watched the highlights on YouTube, so many little things I’d forgot about the game.

Spurs going down to 10 men due to an injury, Hayes miss in the first minute, I remembered that volley though as I was right on line with it, what a beauty that was.

The feeling of sheer disappointment with their equaliser, mixed in with a lot of "at least we still get a replay", only to be left utterly gutted with their winner.

Another deflection. That cruelly wasn't going in, until JJ touched it.

Pierre's ludicrous body check pen give away.
    Their defender's equally ludicrous lunge in on Wood who was going nowhere.

What a game though.

• When Aaron Holloway went clean through at the end of extra time at Wembley, think that was the loudest I’ve shouted, unfortunately he cocked it up, went wide and lost the ball and the rest is history....

• Torquay for sure. We arrived there about 09.00, went for a full English. My 9 year old son started to feel ill. Dropped wife and daughter off shopping and spent the next 3 hours staring at a wall in the car park whilst my son slept with his head on my lap. Finally went to Plainmoor about 1.00pm. 90 minutes spent in home supporters bar. Son asleep again. Into the away end, game starts and Woody scores, fans go mad my son can barely stand. Steward saw we were in trouble and guided us to the seated are, where my son laid across three seats and yet again fell asleep on myap for the rest of the game. The dilemma I was in for most of the match, celebrating, but not being able to stand up and go mental will stay with me as long as I live. Even wife and daughter joined in the singing as we went M5 onto M4 with "let's all wave at Bristol". Amazing day.
    Wimbledon away FA Cup replay matched it though for pure drama?

• edited December 2019

Great regret I missed Plainmoor - spent the last 25 minutes fixed to the commentary from the Bristol game all the time thinking it is the hope that kills you, with the hope turning from just the smallest seedling into a tree tall enough to reach through all the seasons which have passed since..

Thanks for this thread - I can't resist starting a prediction one...

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    When Aaron Holloway went clean through at the end of extra time at Wembley, think that was the loudest I’ve shouted, unfortunately he cocked it up, went wide and lost the ball and the rest is history....

Watching that back, it definitely looks less of the banker of a chance it felt at the time.

• For a single moment of drama the Paul Hayes penalty with the last kick of the game versus Exeter in about the 12th minute of injury time.

• The entirety of that performance against Spurs.

• High 5:

1. Rovers result coming through at Torquay
    2. Dom Gape goal at Chesterfield
    3. Bean winner
    4. Bayo goal at Southend last season
    5. The unexpected recovery season culminating in getting to Wembley

Special mentions: spurs, danny hyltons missed penalty, alfie mawsons goal at luton, tysons goal at Luton, Onyedinma at Sunderland, Blooms scoring the winner in the final game at the home end in a promotion season, and any one of the multiple extra time winning goals we have enjoyed in the last 5 years

Low 5:

1. Losing at home to Rovers and expecting to be relegated
    2. Southend equaliser at Wembley
    3. Disallowed goal at home to Northampton and expecting to be relegated
    4. The ridiculously crap run of form in 13-14 when we didnt win for something like 4 months
    5. Losing at home to Notts Co (?) to get relegated. If memory serves we were drawing or even winning with a short while to play and contrived to stuff it up

Special mentions: the continued existence of kevin ellison, losing at home to wimbledon in waddock's last game, Spurs' winning goal, general feeling of impending doom around 2012-14, Charlton recalling Hayes & messing up our chances of survival, losing 6 nil at huddersfield

• Lots of moments that aren't moments here

• Thought long and hard about this one but finally I've decided.
    1) The away game at Torquay was a very special moment, given that we travelled down fully expecting it to be our last game in the football league. The feeling of relief, when we knew that the result from the Bristol game was true, was almost unbearable.
    2) A close second has to be, from joyful start to terrible loss at the finish and the up and down moments during the match I'm going to pick the Spurs game.

• Will have a think and also talk to the boys at footie today to get a consensus view, but I agree with @Dickie that the Hayes pen v Exeter in the 90 something minute and on a Tuesday night at home was something special (Torquay and Spurs aside). Will report back later.