Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• @rmjlondon said:
    Exceptional team ? Were a laughing stock ..... we need players in and fast !!!

Are you at the game Richie?

• What bugs me is the following....

• On Instagram you see all the players dancing and singing in the changing room like we won the league after any victory.

• they went on a two day bender in Cardiff the weekend before the Oxford game (I say bender - I don't know if alcohol was consumed but one would assume it was??)

All this talk of "staying grounded"...that doesn't seem very grounded to me.

Anyhow, we are still top...so let's enjoy.

• @rmjlondon said:

Were not good today.... but that is a massive over reaction ffs

• I think realism is important. Those who were overly optimistic that we were not going to fall away may be finding the adjustment hard. This bad run was always possible, but it does not mean we are suddenly useless. Injuries have also had a huge impact.

Look at it this way: No Fred, Grimmer, Gape or Charles. Would it really be 1-4 with those four? (I know Charles is not injured).

• @Shev said:
    I think realism is important. Those who were overly optimistic that we were not going to fall away may be finding the adjustment hard. This bad run was always possible, but it does not mean we are suddenly useless. Injuries have also had a huge impact.

Look at it this way: No Fred, Grimmer, Gape or Charles. Would it really be 1-4 with those four? (I know Charles is not injured).

Plus Aarons

• Rolando has gone back to Newcastle !!

• @rmjlondon said:
    Rolando has gone back to Newcastle !!

Must have been his twin brother chatting to people in reception then.

• Hahaha.... oh dear richie

• A day to forget against the ultimate bogey team. I just hope people remember where we've come from. Get pissed off about today because it was abysmal, but let's keep looking at the bigger picture if we can.

• Were not keeping him is what I mean

• Also, this is a really tight division - teams like Ipswich, Peterborough and Portsmouth can look like world beaters one minute, and then all lose today by at least two goals. There are pretty much 15 teams that could come 1-15 in any order.

Bad runs are hard because the negativity builds on itself, but the way I look at it, we built a buffer in the first half of the season, which means we will remain relevant for a while yet, no matter what happens. During a good run, it feels as though the marginal things go your way, and then it is all reversed during the bad run.

In the last three games, we have seen a Bayo red, injuries, mistakes, and so forth, that all happen in a short space of time. It's the fickle nature of the sport. You never have the right to win - it has to be earned game after game.

It can be hard to take a step back when the negative momentum is building, but we can still enjoy where we are - we have spent a huge amount of time at the top of the division, having been favoured to go down, and I am relishing where we are!

• @rmjlondon said:
    Were not keeping him is what I mean

He's here for another couple of weeks yet. We might keep him, although he does seem very injury prone. I'd like him to stay but also depends who else we might be able to loan in.

• We're still top. We haven't actually slipped yet!

Bogey team who didn't play midweek. That was always a challenge.
    Just a shame we gave ourselves no chance with sidos madness straight after equalising.

Ipswich took a smashing themselves and if we can hit back there we have another little break to recover and take stock.

• Parker looked decent, which was promising to see at least.

• I couldn’t go or watch online today, so maybe my positivity is a little misplaced, but we’re still top and will still be top after the next game whatever happens and most of the teams below us are in just as bad form as we are (this looks as good a time as any to be playing Ipswich).

Let’s try and focus on the positives and stay behind the team that has got us to where we are.

We knew we were going to find this run of games tough. Get through these next few games and then we’re looking at a favourable run-in with key players returning and maybe one or two additions.

This is still an incredible season - COYB!

• @rmjlondon said:
    Were not keeping him is what I mean

Fibber, you just got caught out again.

• Great post @Shev , exactly that

• I always had this one down a loss, as we simply don't ever seem able to deal with Coventry (and they looked really excellent to me today). Oxford (a good side in good form) also seem to be fast getting the Indian sign over us too. Pompey are in form and a good side but we genuinely seem to be playing poorly at present overall. Rotherham/Peterborough.....wow! Lincoln/Ipswich, well, there's hope of something from the NYD game AFAICS.

We're probably a top six side that has now run into it's rough patch (as we always do at Christmas) and we'll need our strength of character to fight back and remain in the promotion/playoff zone for the remainder of the season. Peaking too early in the plan and we probably can't yet afford to go up anyway. All very healthy for us though. COYB!

• I'm sure a number of lessons were learnt today, from the Manager down. Our current style of play would not survive in the Championship, and it was given a real spanking today. We have talented players and even if we fail this time , the experience will stand us in good stead for future seasons. COYB's, 2020 is nearly here, another year another chance to progress.

• We've shown subtly different styles of play this season tbf, but we just weren't adaptable at all today.

• @rmjlondon said:

You're the fucking laughing stock pal. Get in the bin

• Caught a very brief bit of Gareth being interviewed and he said something about hopefully being able to bring "a couple" of players in.

Let's see if that pans out.

But getting Gape, Grimmer and Fred back out there is just as important. (As he also said)

• Coventry were very, very good today and we were very very poor. Penalty messing about by sido was atrocious. Having said that their wide players were ripping us apart and thommo was clearly not at the races (injured?) so i was disappointed changes were not made in formation or personnel until it was too late. SK was ineffectual today and smyth should have been on earlier. Its on gaz today although i think but City are a good side. On tne brightnside good to have Hatter Richie back supporting his team although he needs to tell Gareth that Aaron's has gone as the manager seems to think the player was just injured. Worst performance for a very long time. Its not the end of the world though....yet.

• It was like watching a cup tie today given the vast difference in quality.

How have Coventry not won away, their number 26 was a man possessed, and the wing backs were excellent. Add to that a hattrick by Godden. They were up for it today and you cannot offer gifts up like Sido did with a dreadful piece of defending.

This is a true test of Ainsworth now to get a reaction against Ipswich. It is a huge game in the context of our season. As I said the other day, Gape and Grimmer wanted back urgently. Plus possibly Fred also as Kashket looks off form and a man with his mind elsewhere. Hope Smyth starts ahead of him on Wednesday.

• Amazing that Coventry aren't running away with this league. They are the best side we've played this season by an absolute mile

• Coventry played some beautiful football, we were atrocious and only GA will know why he left it until it was 1-4 to make changes..... there 4th goal was superb i applauded it!!!!

• edited December 2019

They've just not been putting enough complete performances together from what I gather. Them and Oxford the best we've played imo. Peterborough were an excellent attacking force but couldn't defend - and now don't seem to be able to attack either.

• I did not see Oxford, but I think Peterborough and Coventry will be up top. Don't despair as big clubs pompey, Ipswich and sunderland are not, as yet, walking this.league.

• @micra I warned you Coventry could score 3+ goals away from home!

• edited December 2019

We talked a few weeks ago about statistical analysis suggesting we'd had some luck, in terms, among other things, of opponents' quality of shots and the like. I bought into it then and I'm seeing a reversion to the mean over the last three games.

That said, we gifted the first three chances from which they scored today - this is within our control.