Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    On the bright side @rmjlondon gets more use out of his luton Hylton shirt...also @Gerry47 the last two Christmases we survived in league one and got promoted. Agree about Parker...surely he could work through the middle with the wide forwards we have or what are we paying him 3k a week for?

I hope that's a wild guess on the salary. He signed late (after being only ok on trial) as squad cover, and it's handy for him because he's local to HW.

• edited December 2019

I'm not sure that's something you can change that suddenly - but even if we do, we can try different things like Smyth off Bayo in a front two or Fred through the middle. I also don't think this is our only chance at getting to the Championship. Still, it all ultimately comes down to our not having much, if any, money to play with in January. A back-up right-back should be the priority, probably also need another creative midfielder, but I'm not sure we'd get both of those. Unless anyone has info to suggest that we do have a bit of wriggle room? We were almost at the limit of the SCMP last I heard.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    His name seems to get raised every window these days, based on nothing as far as I can tell.

Would be interested to see how often those rumours come from @ChasHarps . I still believe the Ken McKenna rumours

Yep. Kept on about Pierre coming back as well if i recall correctly.

It's hard to imagine a guy who has previous for racism who has had at least one absolute scuffle with bayo coming in here.

It's not your Ellison panto material, he's a wrongun to be avoided.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'm not sure that's something you can change that suddenly - but even if we do, we can try different things like Smyth off Bayo in a front two or Fred through the middle. I also don't think this is our only chance at getting to the Championship. Still, it all ultimately comes down to our not having much, if any, money to play with in January. A back-up right-back should be the priority, probably also need another creative midfielder, but I'm not sure we'd get both of those. Unless anyone has info to suggest that we do have a bit of wriggle room? We were almost at the limit of the SCMP last I heard.

A back up right back? Surely Sido is plenty there? Or even Phillips if needs be?

• edited December 2019

They're both CBs, and losing Stewart or Charles for any length of time would leave us stretched. We have two genuine LBs, would make sense to have two genuine RBs. Sido is much more of a CB these days imo.

They're both CBs, and losing Stewart or Charles for any length of time would leave us stretched. We have two genuine LBs, would make sense to have two genuine RBs. Sido is much more of a CB these days imo.

Sido was our right back for his first few years here wasn't he?

• He was, but I think he's much better at CB - as we saw last season. Even if we call him the back-up RB, that leaves us with only three CBs.

• I really, really, really hope this Hylton talk is just the same rumour that gets recycled every 12 months and is similarly baseless.

As @eric_plant says, signing that wanker would completely spoil what has been a magical season for this club. It would also taint our club’s family reputation.

I don’t care if he’s the best striker in the Football League, he is not fit as a human being to wear our shirt.

I also fail to see how he fits the ‘Ainsworth mould’. He would be a huge risk of being a disruptive influence in the changing room and we know him and Bayo don’t get on.

If we signed him, what sort of message would that be sending to our BAME players (and fans)?

I want us to win promotion, almost more than anything, but not at the expense of our morals and decency.

• Sido might have played well at cb but he is by trade a right back.

Oforborh can play at centre back if we get stretched.

• @Jonny_King said:
    I really, really, really hope this Hylton talk is just the same rumour that gets recycled every 12 months and is similarly baseless.

As @eric_plant says, signing that wanker would completely spoil what has been a magical season for this club. It would also taint our club’s family reputation.

I don’t care if he’s the best striker in the Football League, he is not fit as a human being to wear our shirt.

I also fail to see how he fits the ‘Ainsworth mould’. He would be a huge risk of being a disruptive influence in the changing room and we know him and Bayo don’t get on.

If we signed him, what sort of message would that be sending to our BAME players (and fans)?

I want us to win promotion, almost more than anything, but not at the expense of our morals and decency.

Exceptional post sir

• edited December 2019

I'd just like to see an athletic RB in the Grimmer mould. I've heard good things from Chris Miller - well respected Spurs writer, podcaster etc. - about Tariq Hinds, who can play there, at LB or in CM, and it does sound like Spurs want to get more players out on loan, which wasn't really the policy under Pochettino. I'm sure Premier League clubs would look at us as a favourable option for any youngsters they might want to get game time, as they already do tbh.

• @Jonny_King said:
    I really, really, really hope this Hylton talk is just the same rumour that gets recycled every 12 months and is similarly baseless.

POTD

• Still haven't forgotten "that sound" of Pierre clattering Hylton near the half way line 3 seasons ago. It really was a thing of beauty. Made all the more gratifying as Hylton had given out a gob full of mockery. One of my all time favourite WWFC moments. ??

• So that’s a “no” then.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Still haven't forgotten "that sound" of Pierre clattering Hylton near the half way line 3 seasons ago. It really was a thing of beauty. Made all the more gratifying as Hylton had given out a gob full of mockery. One of my all time favourite WWFC moments. ??

And some wouldn't want him back. Aaron Pierre is worth 10 Hyltons.

He was, but I think he's much better at CB - as we saw last season. Even if we call him the back-up RB, that leaves us with only three CBs.

He can be a back up in two positions can't he?

Personally I fear for us every time Sido plays. He doesn't justify that fear alot of the time but it never ever goes away.

• Agreed. Sido’s great but he is prone to a mistake or two

• @eric_plant said:

@Jonny_King said:

Exceptional post sir

What @eric_plant said (although taint rather than ruin)

• edited December 2019

@davecz said:
    with a change of tactics

So you want to change the way the team plays now, halfway through the season, when 6 points clear at the top of the league? We are where we are because of the very tactics you want changed.
    Yes the formation may change from game to game, and the tactics regarding how high to press will vary depending on the opposition, but the reason why the focal point of our forward line isn’t a prolific goal scorer is because the primary job being asked of them (whether that’s Akinfenwa or Samuel) is not to hang around in the area waiting for tap-ins or make darting runs into the box on to clever through balls - it’s to cause chaos in the back line in an attempt to win the ball high up the pitch and bring the rest of the team into play in the final third.
    Asking the central striker to do a completely different job (and I believe Scott Kashket could do it rather than need to bring someone else in) would require a wholesale change to the way the team plays, and I don’t see why you would want to do that when the current tactic has been so successful?

• @Fidget said:

@davecz said:
    with a change of tactics

So you want to change the way the team plays now, halfway through the season, when 6 points clear at the top of the league? We are where we are because of the very tactics you want changed.
    Yes the formation may change from game to game, and the tactics regarding how high to press will vary depending on the opposition, but the reason why the focal point of our forward line isn’t a prolific goal scorer is because the primary job being asked of them (whether that’s Akinfenwa or Samuel) is not to hang around in the area waiting for tap-ins or make darting runs into the box on to clever through balls - it’s to cause chaos in the back line in an attempt to win the ball high up the pitch and bring the rest of the team into play in the final third.
    Asking the central striker to do a completely different job (and I believe Scott Kashket could do it rather than need to bring someone else in) would require a wholesale change to the way the team plays, and I don’t see why you would want to do that when the current tactic has been so successful?

Exactly!

• @jonny_king on DDH my thoughts exactly. @EssexWanderer the 3k is a gasroom joke at the expense of Richie's in-depth knowledge of players salaries. You probably had to be there...

• Kashket could be banned for months and we need to act

• @chairboyscentral and @Fidget don’t disagree we have been successful with current tactics but surely the option of being able to change them when they don’t work would be beneficial. All successful teams can change tactics during games, if plan A or B is not working. Harder to do at our level and with limited budget but certainly worth considering bearing in mind our current position. Cannot believe there is not some wriggle room with sending Aarons back and send Parker out on loan.

• I hope we don't send Aarons back, reckon we've got a very good chance of keeping him until the end of the season.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Kashket could be banned for months and we need to act

Yes...richie is right. We must post on the gasroom immediately preferably predicting dire consequences and demanding the signing of a divisive player or we are all idiots.

• edited December 2019

And we can change tactics during games, as we saw to good effect against Peterborough when we dropped the 3-5-2 - and Southend when we switched from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 when chasing the game. If Kashket is banned as seems almost certain, Smyth-Bayo could work as the new little and large when it's needed. We ought to keep hold of Parker as well - no recalls on short loans and you never know when we might need him, even if we haven't really yet.

• @chairboyscentral - please explain to me what Parker gives us because it seems Ainsworth certainly not sure bearing in mind lack of minutes Parker gets even when we have injuries.

• Parker didn't even get on the pitch when Fred and Bayo were injured and we were losing.

Let's see if he gets near the pitch these next two games. If he doesn't, when we're managing fatigue, it's really hard to see that he's anything beyond emergency backup.

• edited December 2019

The game (well, sub appearance) of his which really impressed me was Rochdale away. I think that's possibly the only time we've seen him through the middle and he looked dangerous getting onto long balls over the top, hitting the post in the build-up to Fred's goal. I'm surprised we haven't seen him there when we've needed a 'back-up Beast' tbh - he's also good in the air - but we'd have to ask Gaz for an absolute answer as to why he's not playing (last league appearance as an 89th minute sub v Sunderland in October).

• Indeed or what's the point of paying him?