Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Not convinced Fred is a centre forward and will he score enough goals.

• edited December 2019

We've barely got any wriggle room, won't be able to do much in January and there are bigger priorities than a striker. An out-and-out goal-scorer will have to be something for the summer. We've got a good enough defence and enough players chipping in with goals to not need a prolific striker, at least for the rest of this season - assuming Charles stays fit anyway, touch wood.

• edited December 2019

@chairboyscentral said:
    We've barely got any wriggle room, won't be able to do much in January and there are bigger priorities than a striker. An out-and-out goal-scorer will have to be something for the summer. We've got a good enough defence and enough players chipping in with goals to not need a prolific striker, at least for the rest of this season - assuming Charles stays fit anyway, touch wood.

A thought about the "prolific striker" that occurred during the game today: the quality of service to our strikers is not really high enough to make such a player particularly valuable. We seem to be not especially strong at generating goal-scoring chances for a player of that sort.

• I don’t think I’ve ever seen Fred play in the centre, Bayo role. I’d like to though.

• @davecz said:
    Can someone please explain why we have signed Parker. Couldn’t get on today even as a sub. Clearly Ainsworth cannot have too much confidence in him even though he has a two year contract. We need another centre forward in January.

Certainly a question a lot of us are wondering.

He came fairly late in the window too, 1st August, so it's not even like he was on the "pre" Couhig take over list, then we found we could bring a lot better in.

Happens sometimes though doesn't it, the plan doesn't quite pan out, or other players step up more etc.

I suppose if he wasn't getting a look in and we were lower mid table it'd be more odd.

• @HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

A thought about the "prolific striker" that occurred during the game today: the quality of service to our strikers is not really high enough to make such a player particularly valuable. We seem to be not especially strong at generating goal-scoring chances for a player of that sort.

I'm inclined to agree with that. As I think I mentioned the other week, Burton went up from League One with a top scorer with only about ten goals. I'm not saying we're going up, but you don't NEED a 20-goals-a-season striker if the circumstances are right.

• We haven't needed one so far. I'd very much like to see us play much more cohesively in attacking terms than we are at the moment, mind.

• Kashket would surely be this prolific goalscorer, but like you chaps rightly point out, we don't make enough chances for this sort of player.

Our team have two styles, either the super physical feeding off the Beast, or the super hard working Samuel.
    Neither score that many, but both can work - hence us being top of the league still, with a left back as top scorer!

@chairboyscentral you must have had a bit of a sinking feeling on the commentary today, as you can have as many corners as you like, but without Bayo in there, you massively reduce your chances.
    Without Bayo, you basically have 2, admittedly good in the air centre backs, but pretty much any team in the league will have similar aerial force to repel them. Bayo is something a bit special on top.

• @Malone said:
    Kashket would surely be this prolific goalscorer, but like you chaps rightly point out, we don't make enough chances for this sort of player.

Our team have two styles, either the super physical feeding off the Beast, or the super hard working Samuel.
    Neither score that many, but both can work - hence us being top of the league still, with a left back as top scorer!

@chairboyscentral you must have had a bit of a sinking feeling on the commentary today, as you can have as many corners as you like, but without Bayo in there, you massively reduce your chances.
    Without Bayo, you basically have 2, admittedly good in the air centre backs, but pretty much any team in the league will have similar aerial force to repel them. Bayo is something a bit special on top.

I guess there's something in that Kashket theory (I really hope, for his sake rather than ours, that whatever punishment may be coming his way is not too severe). Part of me (quite a big part, honestly) wishes we were a bit easier on the eye, more creative even though I take great encouragement from the earnest togetherness of the squad.

• edited December 2019

I did wonder if we might have gone with Wheeler through the middle. JJ also almost scored directly from an OUT-swinging corner when the wind was at its worst. Not sure what Parker has to do/what has to happen for his chance to come either.

• edited December 2019

PS. It was enjoyable but strange to watch us on iThingy today. The view was, frankly, a great deal better, with excellent camera coverage (plus enjoyable commentary) but, at least partly for that reason, one felt distanced from the team, more an observer than supporter. I've understood a plus of standing on the terrace.

• I think I follow is superb.
    Clearly dyed in the wool hardcore types would be disgusted anyone would choose to watch on a laptop/tv instead of going to the game, but Boxing day/distant midweek aways are a superb opportunity to watch it, when you can't get there.

And benefits the club for £8 they wouldn't get otherwise

• edited December 2019

I don't blame anyone who stayed at home today, but equally fair play to those who travelled - too wet even for the seagulls.

• @Malone said:
    I think I follow is superb.
    Clearly dyed in the wool hardcore types would be disgusted anyone would choose to watch on a laptop/tv instead of going to the game, but Boxing day/distant midweek aways are a superb opportunity to watch it, when you can't get there.

Wow 8 whole pounds ??

• edited December 2019

Is there always more than one camera, as there was today? That was a very pleasant surprise as a first-time viewer. As were the replays.

• @rmjlondon said:

@Malone said:
    I think I follow is superb.

Wow 8 whole pounds ??

How absolutely lovely to hear from you again and thank you for your insightful observation.

• I find his stuff is best left on ignore in fairness.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I don't blame anyone who stayed at home today, but equally fair play to those who travelled - too wet even for the seagulls.

Yup. Always hate the drive home after a loss but well done to the committed. How many were there?

• edited December 2019

About 750 Wycombe fans in a total crowd of, I think, just under 18,000.

@chairboyscentral said:

I've seen 1.5 games at portsmouth.

The half being that infamous flooded off at half time job.
    The streets were like rivers and the drive back was one of the worst i can remember.

About 750 Wycombe fans in a total crowd of, I think, just under 18,000.

Good effort, chaps. It looked a good number on the tv. Were ours to the left or right of the goal as one looked from the camera on half-way?

• edited December 2019

To the right, although Phil and I both spent the first half of the first half thinking they were on the left (not sure why).

To the right, although Phil and I both spent the first half of the first half thinking they were in the left (not sure why).

That had been my assumption too until you mentioned the right side in the second half, based on my own experience of attending three or four years ago.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@PBo said:

@Malone said:

I think the question has to be, if Parker isn't even getting on as sub when Bayo's not in the party, when will he get any action?

It’s a totally fair question but I’m pretty sure his time will come as injuries kick in, and Kashket is hardly likely to get off Scott free from the betting charge (ker-tish).

Samuel was really not getting much joy out of their gargantoid CBs, especially with the exotic wrestling holds being applied. Of course he ran his arse off as ever and looked good with ball to feet.

Why should Wycombe be punished for something Kashket did before he joined us? It will be a fine. Surely they can't ban him?

The player committed the offence, so the player gets the punishment. Which from other cases seems to be about 6 weeks, unless we can get a top notch lawyer on it, who leans heavily on length of time ago, nothing since, and the scandalously prejudiced owner making his life a misery,

Fair enough. Seems harsh. Perhaps the EFL or FA or whoever hands out the punishment should look deeper at what was described as "a difficult time in his life". Here's hoping.

• I know our current style is not best suited to have a prolific scorer but surely if we had the right person we have enough quality wide players to create the right opportunities. I know we may not have the money but if we sent Aarons back, sent Parker on loan that would realise money. To keep saying we don’t need a new centre forward is from my perspective a little shortsighted.

• edited December 2019

We'd only be able to get a striker in on loan, will have to wait until summer to make a 'big' signing.

• What are the odds Parker plays 15 minutes as a sub and scores the goal that takes us up?

It is such tight margins in this division. When you are playing games with a single goal in it, you can go on a good run or a bad run at any time. I feel pretty mellow about it, I think because we are going to be safe, which, though our expectations are now higher, is still amazing, while still in 2019!

I really do think we are going to have another good run, but it might be a case of the darkest hour is before dawn. This team have a flair for the dramatic, and I could see us getting sucked into a sense of "we are falling away" only to rise again!

• Going to be safe ??? If we dont make the playoffs from this position now minimum it will be an absolute disgrace !!

• Happy New Year @rmjlondon.

• Dont forget you go back to school on 6th January Richie.